Gibson Brands Forums

L 00 true vintage limited edition

JuanCarlosVejar

That's what nick has ?

nice little thing.

No, mine is an L-OO Legend, not a TV. Mostly the same materials, but slightly different construction and finish details. The TV is a great value, for much less money than the Legend.

Sound seems very, very similar, even though this recording setup is not that good. Tony Blackbeard has a better recording setup, and I'd love do see him review this TV, if he hasn't done it.

Rambler is right. If you want to get the best out of this little box, it needs a bit firmer attack.

If you look under the hood there is a big difference between the Legend and the TV series. The Legends are the only guitars I know of that Gibson makes where they reproduce the carve of the bracing found in the originals. One of the big reasons I imagine the Legends cost what they do.

If you look under the hood there is a big difference between the Legend and the TV series. The Legends are the only guitars I know of that Gibson makes where they reproduce the carve of the bracing found in the originals. One of the big reasons I imagine the Legends cost what they do.

Some details are different, as ZW says. Brace carve, fabric side stays, all-hide glue. The L-OO Legend is very much like a brand-new 1937 L-OO in virtually every way (but Madagascar instead of Brazilian).

In genral, I just think the L-OO is a sweet guitar. It's the right size for sitting around and playing, and responds well to bare fingers, fingerpicks, or flatpick. Not a particularly great strummer, but I've got other guitars for that if I wanted.

Not a big, shimmery voice with booming bass. Articulate and personal. A great guitar for the porch swing (if I had one), or a small space.......like a parlor.

Spoon Phillips from Maurie's and a few others with guitar demos need to get that beard going!

He does a review of another guitar of the same model that is actually winging its way to me on FedEx.( edit: on my flight radar tracker, I think it just left Honolulu..not watching with my fingers crossed or anything...but I hope Tom Hanks and Wilson aren't on that jet).....so I noticed this one. Looks like the same mic as Tony uses to me - I have one. On a few of their videos with dread guitars, he uses a flat pick and does strumming things - to emulate what the possible owner would use the guitar for. Cool.

I listen with some good Sennheisers to all of their demos in the last few days and the L-00 above has a big dud note on the 5 string/12th fret! I think they could have redone the demo or something - if you listen a few times, it stands out! It also sounds a bit 'new'.

Last time I listen with headphones! Too picky. [mellow]

BluesKing777.

Wildwood has a couple of them....(and a bunch of Nick Lucas L-100s in rosewood and maple)...

http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/acoustics/gibson/small_body.htm

I wish they would go a bit thicker on the neck profile on these. I am finding I like the slim taper neck less and less these days. I would buy if it had a beefy neck like on the keb mo...

Sounds great though and interesting that a guitar Martin is paying homage to with the CEO-7, is now in limited production.

I wish they would go a bit thicker on the neck profile on these. I am finding I like the slim taper neck less and less these days. I would buy if it had a beefy neck like on the keb mo...

I did not like the "low action, fast playing neck" in the 1960s and have grown no more fond of them over the decades. And it would be great to see Gibson get away from the "freedom heel" (or whatever they called it) and go back with the French Heel neck (like on the Keb Mo) on more guitars.

Catching up on old posts here ..... I've got a 2012 model TV (one of only a few made prior to this year) If you want a small size guitar that almost plays the blues on it's own, buy one of these while you can. I'm so glad they have put these out this year as a special run .... good on you Gibson.

• 3 weeks later...

Folks ,

They must have some magical leperchauns buildings these L 00's :

Beautiful sound

Matt & Tony are going to star in a movie called "battle of the beards"

JC

Thread from a few weeks back , but I have watched Matt's videos a bit recently, though I think they are all recent, and I am enjoying his fingerstyle playing....just wondering if anyone knows what his style is derived from? There is something familiar about it, but I haven't put my finger (s!!!!!!) on it yet.

BluesKing777.

they are pretty cool. they don't have the bigger neck of the previous L-00TV run, but otherwise are the same (Adi top and all that). These just have a standard Blues King sized neck. they do actually cost a little less than the previous run too. They also come with a nicer than standard case AND funny enough, they ship with the gig bag that the Blues King used to ship with too! Sort of a funny, but cool surprise.

-Keith

• 2 years later...

Thankfully a demo of a L00 which wasn't the Blues!

Very nice guitar.

I know its been a long time since you posted this. I'm looking at one of these L00's built in 2012. It has one of those Winged head stocks and one glue joint has a finish crack over the joint where it comes from behind one of the tuners. I've read the these L00s have Torrified/heat treated Red Spruce tops. I' can't find specs saying this 2012 had this kind of treatment & owner doesn't seem to know? Any idea what a pristine example. minus the finish issue over the glue joint and the Red Line case was swapped....any ball park guess of its value. His price seems low for a guitar like this? He bought it 5 years ago and has not played it much at all. Other than this finish issue over the glue joint....it is absolutely pristine otherwise.

Anyone know the Serial #'s for the 2012 production run?

Thanks,

Raylon

I know its been a long time since you posted this. I'm looking at one of these L00's built in 2012. It has one of those Winged head stocks and one glue joint has a finish crack over the joint where it comes from behind one of the tuners. I've read the these L00s have Torrified/heat treated Red Spruce tops. I' can't find specs saying this 2012 had this kind of treatment & owner doesn't seem to know? Any idea what a pristine example. minus the finish issue over the glue joint and the Red Line case was swapped....any ball park guess of its value. His price seems low for a guitar like this? He bought it 5 years ago and has not played it much at all. Other than this finish issue over the glue joint....it is absolutely pristine otherwise.

Anyone know the Serial #'s for the 2012 production run?

Thanks,

Raylon

Gibson didn't do torrification at any level until 2014 I believe.

JC

Nice sounding L-00, although I had to fast forward through the waffle at the start to minimise the time spent looking at his frankly ridiculous facial hair...and this is coming from a beard wearer of 15yrs+ 😳

• 1 month later...

Played one of these pups over the weekend. Very quick response and equally quick decay, just like the old ones. You ripping chords but no lasting ring. Can play all kinds of old school fingerpicking, but you need t keep the notes coming because again not much overhang. For folk, blues, Americana. String spacing is 2 1/4, current std, but I could use a little more room for my pick hand.

• 2 years later...
On 7/30/2017 at 4:22 PM, Raylon said:

'… L00's built in 2012… has one of those Winged head stocks and one glue joint has a finish crack over the joint…'

I've seen the same — finish cracks, very faint but visible under strong light, both sides, front and back.

And I've also read or heard they have Torrified/heat treated tops but can't confirm. 

The serial number was 13162xxx as I recall, which seems doubly unlikely, being one of those years when Remembrance Day falls on a Sunday.

Edited by ohdriver