Gibson Brands Forums

1998 Les Paul Project

Pipster

Earlier this year I bought a second hand 1998 Epiphone Les Paul for £90. It was in a bit of state and the neck pickup didn't work. I bought it as a bit of a project and to learn how to wire etc.

Heres a few pictures of it when I bought it

IMG_2171.jpg

IMG_2173.jpg

IMG_2174.jpg

IMG_2177.jpg

IMG_2178.jpg

I hadn't been able to do anything with it for a few months but have finally got it all finished. I started by stripping it completely down and taking everything off. Got rid of the stickers on the back of the guitar with lighter fluid. The electrics were completely knackered but managed to save the pickups and they came up nice after a clean up. As did the bridge too.

2014-10-15192213.jpg

The guitar also polished up nicely

2014-10-05185953.jpg

My first ever attempt at wiring wasn't as bad as I had expected and quite enjoyed it. I had to replace all the wiring and the pots, jack and switch. Got it all finished today and quite happy with the outcome of it. I might upgrade the pickups at a later date but really wanted to see how the current pickups sound and have a decent play before upgrading. Didn't just want to upgrade for the sake of upgrading.

Here's the finished Les Paul

2014-10-17141507.jpg

2014-10-17141514.jpg

2014-10-17141520.jpg

Cheers for the comments. I really enjoyed the whole experience of doing it up. Total cost was £165 for an Epiphone Les Paul. £90 for the guitar and £75 in new parts and wiring. Plus learnt a load of knowledge on the way.

While doing it I got quite annoyed with the state it had been left in. Somewhere in its past someone had messed with the wiring and rather than have patience when feeding all the cables through because it was a little tight they just routed a new hole through. I couldn't believe that. People who abuse their guitars like this shouldn't be allowed to keep any more as a fine ](*,) B)

Very well done job, and nice pic of a nice trio! [thumbup]

I'm with you when about routing needless holes. [thumbdn] Wouldn't drill different or additional holes for different machine heads, too. There are drop-in replacements of next to any style available. Admittedly one will have to buy a set of six tuners usually.

Very well done job, and nice pic of a nice trio! [thumbup]

I'm with you when about routing needless holes. [thumbdn] Wouldn't drill different or additional holes for different machine heads, too. There are drop-in replacements of next to any style available. Admittedly one will have to buy a set of six tuners usually.

Yeah that's what I had to do buy a set of 6.

Archived