Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone ES-355 upgrade

Depejohnson

My 13 year-old son saved his birthday money and bought a Pelham Blue Epiphone ES-355. He is a huge Dave Grohl fan and that is as close as we can get, for a reasonable price, to a DG-335. I am trying to upgrade the guitar and make it somewhat close to the DG-335. I bought a set burstbuckers to replace the pickups. I also purchased a Martin custom pre-wired wiring harness to upgrade the electronics. Going to order a Gibson ABR-1 bridge as well. Any other worthwhile upgrades? Let me add that I really don't know shut about guitars. Most of the upgrades I'm doing are from reading others posts.

It is nice you are doing an upgrade to your sons ES-355. But I have to ask you this...why ? I think the ES-355 is just about perfect and will not touch it. I can see upgrading the electronics on an Epiphone Les Paul..but a ES-355...well to each his own I guess, good luck Get a "roller bridge" and graphite infused or a roller nut. The strings will come back "to pitch" a bit better than with the standard bridge and nut...that has been my personal experience. I try to leave things that work OK alone as I usually make things worse by trying to make them better...but hey...that's just me...lol...good luck...post a pic of the guitar and the work you are doing... I'm sure many would be interested in seeing a "progress report". Also...It looks like Epiphone may be producing cherry red and royal white ES-355's, check out my thread on the subject.

It is nice you are doing an upgrade to your sons ES-355. But I have to ask you this...why ? I think the ES-355 is just about perfect and will not touch it.

Exactly my thought. If you want a real improvement, give it to a pro guitar tech for fret leveling, a bone nut and a decent setup. This will improve playability and response of the guitar to a whole new level.

Changing the hardware for standard Gibson parts on that guitar doesn't make much sense from my point of view.

And the harness? Well, when I pulled the harness from my 350€ 2014 ES-339 for installing a set of Kloppmann SB52 pickups, guess what I found: Properly soldered full size pots stamped "CTS". If it wasn't for installing that boutique pickups (which by the way cost almost as much as the entire guitar), I would not touch the harness at all. The chinese Epiphone ES guitars have greatly improved over the years in regard to build quality and quality of pickups.

The setup and fretwork is another cup of tea though, and I strongly recommend to do a professional fret dress and setup on any of these guitars before judging them. All of the Epiphones I bought in the last couple of years (Riviera Ltd. Edition, Sheraton 1962 50th ann., ES-339 P90) had great potential, but showed their full abilities only after a proper fret dress and setup.

That ES-339 P90 for example turned from a fairly good guitar (more than you would expect at that price tag) into a real jewel. And that is just from setting it up properly. With a set of Elixier 10s that thing has an amazing sparkling clean acoustic sound, an unbelievable sensitive response, it is just effortless and fun to play. Changing the pickups was just a matter of taste. I was after a low output, airy sparkling clean, and at the same time buttery distorting P90 sound. That's what the Kloppmanns do. The stock pickups are good ones as well, if you like their powerful, slightly dirty rock sound.

Sorry for making a short story long, it's just to point out how much more important a proper setup is before starting to change any of the hardware.

The roller bridge and nut are i good idea but other then that leave it alone. When are people going to leave good alone . Well thats my opinion. But i see so many used epiphone for sale with new pickups let me tell you i have a lot of different guitars . and for that i don't fix until broken . You are not going to get a Gibson out of a Epiphone you don't need to. Epiphone is building some great guitars at a great price i like to collect them as do many other people . why do all that work and lose the value of the guitar .I dont buy Epiphones or Gibsons that some body messed with . The resale is much greater on a guitar not messed with .

Don't listen to these guys. [flapper] !

I have a pelham 355, changed everything on it and it is vastly better than it was.

W9VscSV.jpg

New:

Wiring Harness- CTS Custom Spec'd 525K SHORT/split, knurled shaft, audio taper potentiometers. These are identical in construction to CTS's high quality 450G series pots, but spec'd them 525K. Bakelite base plate, Solid brass c-clip reinforced shaft, Solid brass bushing

New Old Stock Russian Military Surplus K40Y-9 .022uf/400v (10% Tolerance) Paper in Oil Capacitors

Switchcraft long straight 3-way toggle switch. .

Switchcraft #11 1/4" Mono Jack

DiMarzio PAF 36th Anniversary humbuckers double cream bobbins

Graph Tech Resomax NVS 6mm bridge black nickel

Grover 18:1 Rotomatic tuning machines black nickel

I replaced the Bigsby with a TOG trapeze black nickel

msp_thumbup.gif

to each their own, that looks super cool and man, you did put a lot of "work" into it. I think you had mentioned the modifications you have done to that guitar in previous posts...maybe...where is the link to those posts ? If I remember correctly (which I am having some trouble with...lol) you did post a few picture of the "work in progress" you did on that guitar...maybe...lol

I'd like to see some pic's of any work Depej' and his son have done to their guitar, interesting subject..."mods"...msp_thumbup.gif

msp_thumbup.gif

to each their own, that looks super cool and man, you did put a lot of "work" into it. I think you had mentioned the modifications you have done to that guitar in previous posts...maybe...where is the link to those posts ? If I remember correctly (which I am having some trouble with...lol) you did post a few picture of the "work in progress" you did on that guitar...maybe...lol

I'd like to see some pic's of any work Depej' and his son have done to their guitar, interesting subject..."mods"...msp_thumbup.gif

I was just joshing with you guys about not listening to y'all....;-), very much to each their own. You and I have agreed prior that this is one of Epi's finer guitars and it does play and sound very very nice right out of the box. Nothing *needs* to be changed.

I did make a thread about using crayon to fill in the bigsby mount hole, I'll track it down.

I'm also toying with the idea of sanding the clear coat off this guitar, problem is I like how the neck feels with the clear on, so I am not sure if I should leave it on the neck and remove it everywhere else or what.

here's a before and after

LaXWW2g.jpg

As I stated in my original post, my son bought the guitar with the plan to change the pickups to the ones that Dave Grohl uses. I had looked at several posts talking about how much better and cleaner these guitars sound with the upgraded electonics. I found used pickups for $100 shipped, wiring harness and new knobs were $130, bridge and nut totaled $45. Those will be some of his Christmas presents. If I can make the guitar play and stay in tune a little better, why not? I would rather buy that stuff than more video game stuff! I should also say that he does have a Gibson Les Paul as well.

I've never had any problems ordering "gear" from Sweetwatermsp_thumbup.gif The "bit-o-honey", "sweet/tarts", peppermint and other candy they send out with your order is also "pretty sweet" msp_thumbup.gif

Check out my reply (about "sound effect" pedals) in your post in "The Lounge"...dig itmsp_thumbup.gif

What amplifier will he be using with his ES-355 ??

Santa likes sound effect pedals....msp_thumbup.gif

He has a Fender Mustang 2.

V1, V2 ? I have 4 "Mustang" amps...a Mini, a 1,2,3 all "V2" as well as a "Passport mini". msp_blushing.gif I use them all the time and the smaller ones work great as an external computer speaker...and to play along to the youtube "backing tracks" and downloadable presets and additional backing tracks for the Mustang amps at Fender.com. Have you updated the "FUSE" software as well as upgraded the firmware on your sons Fender Mustang amplifier ?

Have you downloaded any backing tracks and "presets" from the Fender.com site ? There are literally thousands of both presets and "play along" backing tracks on their site, free lessons...guitar tuner...other stuff. Believe it or not, I spend time downloading "Mustang stuff" from there...a lot...good stuff and those amps are fun as heck as well as a great teaching/learning tool with all the additional things that are available for them at the Fender.com site...good stuff indeedmsp_thumbup.gif

I was just joshing with you guys about not listening to y'all....;-), very much to each their own. You and I have agreed prior that this is one of Epi's finer guitars and it does play and sound very very nice right out of the box. Nothing *needs* to be changed.

I did make a thread about using crayon to fill in the bigsby mount hole, I'll track it down.

I'm also toying with the idea of sanding the clear coat off this guitar, problem is I like how the neck feels with the clear on, so I am not sure if I should leave it on the neck and remove it everywhere else or what.

here's a before and after

LaXWW2g.jpg

"sanding the clearcoat", I suppose better an Epiphone than an expensive Gibson. I would never "sand" the neck on a nice Epiphone...but I guess if Jimmy Page can do it to his '58/'59 LP's....lol

My 13 year-old son saved his birthday money and bought a Pelham Blue Epiphone ES-355. He is a huge Dave Grohl fan and that is as close as we can get, for a reasonable price, to a DG-335. I am trying to upgrade the guitar and make it somewhat close to the DG-335. I bought a set burstbuckers to replace the pickups. I also purchased a Martin custom pre-wired wiring harness to upgrade the electronics. Going to order a Gibson ABR-1 bridge as well. Any other worthwhile upgrades? Let me add that I really don't know shut about guitars. Most of the upgrades I'm doing are from reading others posts.

Just posted into your Epiphone Lounge thread on the same topic. In short: I would leave that thing stock. For details, refer to my post there.

Well I'm kinda out of luck there. I paid $285 total for Burstbucker pickups, Martin wiring harness, Gibson ABR-1 bridge, and Tusq Nut.

The prices are quite OK.

I would prefer mounting the ABR using drop-in adaptor posts for Epiphone bushings with 10/32" threads. There has no woodwork to be done, and it's completely reversible. This is important for keeping the potential value of the guitar. Limited guitars might become collector's items over the years - one can never know.

Archived