Gibson Brands Forums

Model Number "Decoder"

Gary_T

Did you get your model number off the inspection sheet? . They're sometimes hard to read. I've never seen the numbers "25" in a model number before. Is the "2" perhaps a "Z" for zebra, and the "5" actually an "S"? . Not sure what the "9" would indicate. Here's an known example: LPTDSZSHCH1 = LP(Les Paul) TD(TraDitional) S(1960) Z(Zebra coil pups) SH(Satin Honeyburst) CH(Chrome Hardware) 1(legacy code indicating the guitar is not a second)

Also, in my experience the last two letters of an LP model number always indicate the hardware type, ex. CH=Chrome Hardware, NH=Nickel Hardware, GH=Gold Hardware. These two letters are always followed by a "1". If you've got chrome hardware, I would expect those last three characters to be CH1.

If there is a problem reading the model number, you can email Gibson at. service@gibson.com .with the serial number and ask them what the model number of your guitar is.

Is the anyone here who can help me understand what the model numbers signify on my Les Paul. I do know that LPT is Les Paul Traditional. What do the rest of the numbers mean?

Thanks

LPTP25FD9CF1

The abbreviation should read Les Paul Traditional Pro II, 50's neck, Faded Desert burst finish, Chrome Floyd Rose vibrato, factory 1st.

Not sure what the "9" should mean though.

Just found this topic which also includes the model number within the advertisement pictured there:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/110257-trad-pro-ii-floyd-rose/

Obviously a Guitar Center Exclusive model.

Thank you.....

That is it!!! That is the Les Paul I purchased, although the color is much more defined than the color in the Guitar Center ad.

Thank you for your help.

post-68053-077615800 1413907165_thumb.jpg

Did you get your model number off the inspection sheet? . They're sometimes hard to read. I've never seen the numbers "25" in a model number before. Is the "2" perhaps a "Z" for zebra, and the "5" actually an "S"? . Not sure what the "9" would indicate. Here's an known example: LPTDSZSHCH1 = LP(Les Paul) TD(TraDitional) S(1960) Z(Zebra coil pups) SH(Satin Honeyburst) CH(Chrome Hardware) 1(legacy code indicating the guitar is not a second)

Also, in my experience the last two letters of an LP model number always indicate the hardware type, ex. CH=Chrome Hardware, NH=Nickel Hardware, GH=Gold Hardware. These two letters are always followed by a "1". If you've got chrome hardware, I would expect those last three characters to be CH1.

If there is a problem reading the model number, you can email Gibson at. service@gibson.com .with the serial number and ask them what the model number of your guitar is.

I did get the numbers off the inspection sheet and yes, they were hard to read. I think a post below has the guitar figured out though. Thanks

• 4 years later...

I think there is a lot of misinformation here regarding the model "codes".  I think assumptions have been made for some.  I've seen a lot of inconsistencies in the model numbers (in recent years, at least) that would make these assumptions a bad idea.

The hardware code?  That and the "LP" are about the most consistent.  And the color code is in there.  Other than the inconsistencies take over.

The last number is *not* always a 1, and it does not mean regular production and not a 2nd.  Think about it, a 2nd won't be part of a model number!  Gibson is not forthcoming about the meaning of that number, when asked, they told me it does not mean anything to the consumer.  Can't let me decide if it does?  My guess (and I may try to prove it some time) is that it designates the "market" it was made for (GC/MF, Japan, etc.).   I have 2 Gibsons with a 3 at the end, and I know one was "made for Japan" and I think the other one may have been too.

Numbers are sometimes used in the middle, and sometimes they are 2 digit for the model year. 

So the codes vary and are highly dependent on the year.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 8/23/2019 at 2:07 PM, Wmachine said:

I think there is a lot of misinformation here regarding the model "codes".  I think assumptions have been made for some.  I've seen a lot of inconsistencies in the model numbers (in recent years, at least) that would make these assumptions a bad idea.

The hardware code?  That and the "LP" are about the most consistent.  And the color code is in there.  Other than the inconsistencies take over.

The last number is *not* always a 1, and it does not mean regular production and not a 2nd.  Think about it, a 2nd won't be part of a model number!  Gibson is not forthcoming about the meaning of that number, when asked, they told me it does not mean anything to the consumer.  Can't let me decide if it does?  My guess (and I may try to prove it some time) is that it designates the "market" it was made for (GC/MF, Japan, etc.).   I have 2 Gibsons with a 3 at the end, and I know one was "made for Japan" and I think the other one may have been too.

Numbers are sometimes used in the middle, and sometimes they are 2 digit for the model year. 

So the codes vary and are highly dependent on the year.

Hi, I think as well that the digit 3 indicates made for the Japanese market. I bought this SG in Germany but the people at the Thomann store said this was a limited edition for the Japanese market and they grabbed a dozen or more of them. I guess the red point indicates the Japanese flag 🇯🇵

Does anyone here know why this wonderful SG is not shown on the Gibson website? 

IMG_20200116_111940-min-min.jpg

Edited by jungle_moon
Misspelled something

The reason is that the only Gibsons shown on the website is that all they show there is  the regular Gibson line.  Any models made for Japanese (and other markets), and dealer orders (like Sweetwater and GC/MF "exciusives") are not shown on the Gibson site.  Always been that way.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

My Les Paul 1960VOS model number reads LPGC60LBNW1
This is from the Custom shop COA and the Gibson gold warranty pamphlet 

I read it as Les Paul Guitar Center 1960 Lemon Burst I get lost at that point..... the NW1 at the end throws me off

The Serial number is GO  6402 from head stock and warranty card pamphlet

The card has nothing filled in where the date should be entered. The exterior finish and the playability checklists are filled in but the inspected by and packed by sections are not signed.

The COA has what seems to be a printed signature but I cant tell if its a real signature by Rick Gembar the general manager

any help would be appreciated... year of production??? 
The only clue to a date is the  date printed on the back page of the Truss rod  pamphlet , 2001

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2020 at 11:28 PM, GeneIV said:

My Les Paul 1960VOS model number reads LPGC60LBNW1
This is from the Custom shop COA and the Gibson gold warranty pamphlet 

I read it as Les Paul Guitar Center 1960 Lemon Burst I get lost at that point..... the NW1 at the end throws me off

The Serial number is GO  6402 from head stock and warranty card pamphlet

The card has nothing filled in where the date should be entered. The exterior finish and the playability checklists are filled in but the inspected by and packed by sections are not signed.

The COA has what seems to be a printed signature but I cant tell if its a real signature by Rick Gembar the general manager

any help would be appreciated... year of production??? 
The only clue to a date is the  date printed on the back page of the Truss rod  pamphlet , 2001

Are you absolutely positive of the W in the NW1?  Pic?  That digit should be the tailpiece, and  being a stopbar should be H.  Other ones of that model I looked at were NH.   Could be a mistake.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...