Gibson Brands Forums

Set neck

houndman55

Another one for you gibson people. Why does gibson glue their necks? I mean sure it could very well have an advantage or two of high frets access or tone or whatever. I don't know anything about studiness of set vs bolt on. But if a set neck breaks or cracks it must be a lot harder to repair than just screwing and unscrewing on a bolt on. If you visit the gibson custom shops webpage they make a big deal about "revolutionary hide glue" as I might put it. And if say a les paul cracks you gotta get it to some kind of luthier to repair and that adds up.

Guest Farnsbarns

Man that just shows you're lazy and don't know anything about the topic. Heck, if I could find something myself I wouldn't need to ask in the first place

You do seem to ask a lot of questions that you could just Google. Gibson use set necks because they're better and Fender use bolt on necks because they're better. Who's better is best? In the old days we'd read informed opinion on both sides, put some of what we'd read to the test and form an opinion of our own. My opinion is valueless to you. The instant, prepackaged opinion you seek is the lazy way. Reading, reading, reading and thinking takes some effort but the lmgtfy link that was posted is actually your best place to start.

Archived