Gibson Brands Forums

Status of les paul

houndman55

Hey,

What made the 57-59 les pauls so legendary? I mean at first everyone shunned them and was discontinued and replaced with the sg. But later after collecting dust for like 20-30 years or something they became the allegedly greatest, most expensive guitar on the planet. My theory is the british electric blues boom of the 60's made them regain the status. You know players like Clapton (though he later switched to fender for some obscure reason), Bloomfield, Taylor etc. etc. What your theory?

You are all wrong.

It was the unsheathed truss-rod taken in conjunction with the hot-hide glue made by Daisy the cow.

Well, not by Daisy the cow. As such.

P.

Just a question, you have almost 10000 posts but is till referred as "Newbie". Heck I don't even have a 100 posts and I'm "Advanced member"

Hey,

What made the 57-59 les pauls so legendary? I mean at first everyone shunned them and was discontinued and replaced with the sg. But later after collecting dust for like 20-30 years or something they became the allegedly greatest, most expensive guitar on the planet. My theory is the british electric blues boom of the 60's made them regain the status. You know players like Clapton (though he later switched to fender for some obscure reason), Bloomfield, Taylor etc. etc. What your theory?

Not after collecting dust for decades. Prices exploded already during the 1970s, for played vintage LPs as well as for those stored in the closet.

The perceived quality of Norlin Gibsons of the day may have contributed, too. Then there are details you won't find today usually. Due to coil tolerances, there are lots of early LPs with the hotter pickup in the neck position. Try a Burstbucker 3 in the neck and a Burstbucker 1 in the bridge position, and you probably are as close as possible to this one:

https://reverb.com/item/271830-1959-gibson-les-paul-standard-sunburst

However, nobody will try that today, and thus won't get the tone.

Magnet materials were also used by accident then.

Of course, old mahogany grown by nature is gone now, and so the timbers play their role, too.

I'm sorry I don't know pippy you speak of him like he is overlord. Is he a rockstar I missed out on?

Pippy has overlords and rock stars trim his greensward and fetch his groceries with a lorry and bring them up on the lift to his flat.

rct

... whilst noshing on bangars and mash... that's all i got

Drinking a maahhtini, shaken not stirred. Telling the exotic Scottish hottie, mayor of Scottish HottieTown, "..the names Pippy. Pippy Pippy..."

Man. We could go on all day with this.

rct

Archived