Gibson Brands Forums

Which Capo?

wezzywest

Hi,

Which Capo would you guys recommend for a V shaped neck? A L-OO Legend especially.

I am looking at Shubb, or Kyser. I am concerned that some Capo`s may cause an indentation in the neck. What do you think/

Cheers.

You'll get a LOT of different suggestions, so I'll lead off.... try a Planet Waves NS Pro. Lightweight, pressure adjustable on the fly, and does a great job on all my guitars.

DC

Wezzy,

You can take a chance and order different capos online, or if your area has a shop with a decent selection of capos, check and see if they'd mind you bringing your guitar in and trying some. I believe many are packaged so they can be taken out and returned to the package without having to cut or tear anything, or the shop may have some lying around for customers to use when trying guitars. Our local shops do, or they'll simply open one from stock. The exception is our GC that doesn't have any capos available for customers to use, nor will they use any from stock due to having been ripped off by customers. But if your area has a GC, it may be different.

Good luck in finding the right capo for your needs.

DC

Thanks once again for the input. Unfortunatly, none of the shops near me have spares to try.

I have decided that the schubb s3v is the one for me. I could only find one for sale in the UK. That was thanks to a member of a forum over here helping me out as well.

Anyway, the capo is ordered. So hopefully this is the one.

So thanks once again, you have been a great help.

Cheers.

Thanks once again for the input. Unfortunatly, none of the shops near me have spares to try.

I have decided that the schubb s3v is the one for me. I could only find one for sale in the UK. That was thanks to a member of a forum over here helping me out as well.

Cheers.

Let us know how that one works out, please.

Cheers.

They are all different, but I don't have any tuning issues with my Shubbs....really good.

BluesKing777.

• 1 month later...

They are all different, but I don't have any tuning issues with my Shubbs....really good.

BluesKing777.

We never did get that update from Mr Wezzy!!??!!

The other day while on a humidity solutions mission at the music shop, I spied a G7 Performance 2 on the shelf, so grabbed a copy to try.

http://www.g7th.com/capos/performance-2

It is really nice and light and not in the way for chording, sounds in tune when set properly EXCEPT.... [thumbdn]

If I do any kind of blues bend, the string doesn't return to the non bent position and I have to use my left fingers to 'untangle' it or the guitar is out of tune badly...so far out it could start a new sound style!

(My Shubb Capo Noir lets me do bending and lets the strings back, and I could have bought 3 Shubbs for the price of the puppy above!!!! [cursing] )

BluesKing777.

Capos are really cool, especially if one player is capoed differently than another. i.e capo on 5 play like "A" for a "D", other player capo on 7 play like "G" for "D", no capo and drop "D" for "D" or any of the above and open position "D". But beware in a performance when you bend a note and it stays bent, or the high E slides off the fretboard and won't come back without removing the capo, you're kinda screwed. However,I find it useful to just learn to play in ALL keys with no capo, even the tough ones like Eb, Gb, Db, F# etc, which is how most jazzers play. Which capo... I like the Shubb. Great padding and adjustable tension. B)

Archived