Gibson Brands Forums

Sanding a glued in saddle - anyone done it?

flatbaroque

Hi the action my Martin OM-18V has gotten a bit high up the neck. It's has plenty of saddle but the bummer is that it's a glued in saddle..Martin does it on some of the V models..better sound transfer blah blah.

So the conventional approach is to sand the top of the saddle.The desperate approach is heat to remove saddle.

I've checked out the Martin forum.Some people have sanded the top, others say its a job for a guitar tech / luthier.

Anyone here sanded a saddle from the top...probably using emery board files?

I know BK777 has the same guitar, not sure if his is glued in - some years aren't. He also gave me the name of a Sydney luthier previously..which I may check out.

While there is no standard for action, I would imagine the problem is the saddle radius does correlate to the board radius with some adjustment as to personal preference. You want a curve that gets the action where you want it at each string. I, as example, like the low string a bit higher to accommodate my heavy handed approach to the low notes. So while it can be done you have to get it right the fist time or you will end up having the saddle removed despite your best efforts at sanding it.

I do it now and again - also on normal saddles to get the exact action for each string. It's a tricky thing because there no shim rewind when you work in the middle.

Therefor I'm extraordinary focused - almost like a surgeon - and naturally check if the upperside stays rounded. A Sherlock Holmes glass is brought in for this.

I normally use a little piece of sand-paper or a nail-file. In case of the glued saddle, there's always semi-stiff protection paper on the bridge.

Go - but go gently, flatbaroque. .

Thanks chaps.

I knew Zomby and EM7 would have traversed this rocky ground [biggrin]

Not sure I'm up to it.

And I agree with Nick.Dumb idea.I think Martin still do it...it wasn't just a Norlin moment.

Maybe practice your luthier skills on a guitar less beautiful, FB!

Take it to the MAN - if he mucks it up, you can yell at him [unsure] . Get him to set it up all over and the reward is a stunning guitar - I have wandered into all kinds of different territory on my OM18v - but that V neck profile and bridge spacing (2 3/8" that lots complain about, but I love for picking) needs to be in full working order or your arms will fall off [biggrin] [biggrin] [biggrin]

Do it tomorrow - you wont be sorry, FB. (unless he breaks it, of course>)

Again, mine is stunning and I am going to get the rosewood model as well....... :mellow:

BluesKing777.

EDIT:

photo of my OM18v - I'm not putting a file to this baby!

MartinOM18v1y_zps8ae52626.jpg

I think Luthiers tap the saddle fro m the side to break the glue bond…all you need is a little space on one of the ends of the saddle slot...

Just how "glued in" are these? Full length? A couple of dabs? What kind of glue? Are they drop-in, or slot-through?

Martin could probably answer this. I can't believe they've done this without some thought of removing them. Makes no sense. I'd be reluctant to tap on one side for fear of splitting the bridge.

haha...sand gambling! I love it.That's big in Vegas.

And yes BK has a beautiful garden...I'm thinking his wife is the horticulturist...surely he couldn't be such a good guitar player and still find time to do the weeding.

Wrong on all counts, FB!

I used to be in charge of the grass cutting and the Book Reader Couch Person was in charge of the weeds.... The grass was mowed every 2 weeks, but sadly the weeds ......got away and into the beds and it all looked........ [smile][mellow][mellow] :mellow:

Like a Rental [scared]

So after a few false starts and a few muttering lunatics, we found the wonderful Peter and his little ever changing team of mowers and weeders!

I designed the garden on computer ( and did the planting )....ha ha! Peter is more the action type, not much design skill type!

BluesKing777.

But not if the saddle is glued in, DenverSteve. .

It's done all the time. Have your luthier do it if you don't want to tap it out. Working from the bottom of the saddle is much easier and will take you far less time - even with the removal of the saddle.

Archived