Gibson Brands Forums

Does anybody else get pissed or I am in the minority?

splake

Hey Guys, Maybe I just need to vent. And I know I am a newbie but here goes.

I go to Guitar center by my crib about once or twice a month, sometimes more, sometimes less. Anyway, as many of you know Guitar Center as a Humidity controlled Acoustic room. They are always cool enough to give you a pic, or let you plug in etc. What really hacks me off, is the way I see many treating the guitars.

They have J-45s , hummingbirds, and some pretty expensive Martins hanging on the wall, along with the Fenders, Alvarez's, taylors, etc. I see dudes in there banging them when they take them down from the top row, banging them and today I saw a dude in there really cracking on the tuners. He couldnt play, I think he was just a poser. I mean is it just me? I see the High end guitars really scratched up, below the pick guard and above the hole. I saw a Taylor 12 string with two broken strings. I know it aint my business and it is up to management at the G-center, but Anybody else ever say anything to one of these posers?

I guess It bothers me, is I know how hard I have to work and save to buy my guitars and I know I should just walk away and keep my mouth shut, but Jesus. [cursing]

T

Although I sometimes find "new" showroom guitars with damages beyond repair through polishing, I never witnessed anybody doing any harm to an instrument. I guess it is also about the dealer taking care of business.

Maybe I'm a bit old-fashioned, but I ask before taking any instrument off the wall. Since I always ask for a strap allowing for appropriately trying out while standing, it happens automatically so to say. I wouldn't even dare taking a brand-new strap off the wall and use it. But this is just me...

My opinion?? You aren't wrong. I haven't been in a music store in about two years due to lack of availability where I live. However when I did frequent the LMS, it was the same story. Non-players and wanna-bes just having a ball scratching up Les Pauls and some of the high priced acoustics. It seems to be an epidemic that store people care nothing about. Like Capmaster, I always ask permission before playing an in-store instrument.

I am with you. General regard and respect is on display everyday, all around us in America i guess. I am lucky, I only get to a Guitar Center maybe once every three years. The few times I have been, I would tend to agree with you, lots of pounding on instruments, and seemingly chaotic environment.

Lack of respect?

Years ago, I spent some time in a 'house band' at a blues jam night and after the first week, my gear got taken out to the van and the old pawn shop stuff brought in!

No use going 'Don't do this, don't do that', because they have already done it.

People can be disappointing sometimes, and I don't know what the answer is in a shop - we go there to try the guitar of our dreams! [mellow]

BluesKing777.

A remarkable first post topic - but why not.

Never seen too much of that. Many shops here have cameras in the test-rooms and even ask you to take off the jacket.

I'm always extremely careful when taking a guitar from the wall - and often pretty uncomfortable too.

Have the feeling the shop-guys show up if a person behaves rough and irresponsible. They arrive like Pimpernel figures out of the fog. .

I've been fortunate to live most of the time near acoustic specialty shops, where people really do value the instruments. In such stores there are usually enough staff to keep an eye on things, and the staff who work there are acoustic players who know quite a bit about the guitars--as are the customers. In one of the all-purpose music stores near me now, you must ask for a staff person to go into the high end acoustic room. That is not my preferred setting, though, because I somewhat feel as if I'm imposing on the person.

It does bother me to see people abusing guitars, even when it is not really my concern. It's kind of a gut reaction based on my own respect for the craftsmanship that goes into making fine instruments. I suppose if a store doesn't make the effort to control such behavior, it is their concern, though. They often must discount abused instruments in order to sell them, but I guess they figure they come out ahead by saving money on staff.

It IS Guitar Center. There are other shops.

I can say this- not all GC's are the same. There are some that are run well, and some that are like a bad Home Depot.

But the other thing to consider is that GC is NOT the only place to buy a guitar. The way most of the stores work and who goes there and what kind of customers they get is fun for some people some of the time, it's more of an amusement.

Here in Portland there are a few, but there are also some actual guitar shops of many types. Never bought a guitar from a GC in Portland in all my 24 years here. Basically that's because they don't have as much of the "good stuff" or the best prices or whatever. A shop that has 15 good guitars in it will have more selection then most GC's that have 5 or so good ones and 100 imports of the same guitar in 15 colors.

I've never seen anyone do intentional damage, but I've heard/seen accidental banging. It's pretty much a given that if you're going to put guitars out, people will grab them and play around with them, whether they know what they're doing or not. It doesn't really peeve me, but I wish it wouldn't happen.

The GC by me, and the other I frequent in Arlington Heights, IL are both pretty good.

I haven't personally seen this at my local store, but don't doubt that it happens. Really though, if this bothers you, don't spend so much time hanging around Guitar Center. :) I have bought several guitars there and have always been happy. But I only go there if I want to buy something.

In the past two days I've visited two Guitar Centers, a Sam Ash, and two local chains.( Didn't see anything that I wanted)

Only one of the Guitar Centers allowed the bangers free access to the guitars, but I'm used to it there.

I used to get upset about it until I resigned myself to the fact that it's their property and their way of doing business.

I have bought from that store a few times. Either one from the back, one that just got put out, one from their warehouse and before they start setting the good ones within arms reach I bought a J200 Custom that was hanging high in the rafters.

Doesn't bother me anymore but I don't think I could work there.

Never been in a GC and have never bought a new guitar so what do I know. I am a notorious cheapskate and am both very patient and very lucky in that if I bide my time what I want (or something close to it) will sooner or later show up at the door. And given my taste in guitars I consider myself lucky if those I buy do not need any kind of immediate repair.

But the scenario you saw played out does not bother me in the least. They ain't my guitars so why would I give a flip. If the store policy is to let you bang away till your heart's content then that is their business. Plus I figure the guitars hanging on a wall are like demonstrators. I would expect them to show some wear. Just gives you a bit of bargaining power in a deal.

The poser thing - heck we all got a bit of the poser in us. Saturday afternoons at my favorite music store have been known to turn into friendly cutting contests. Part of it certainly is that it is just plain fun. But there is still that bit of competitiveness and showing off. I will listen to one guy and know he will not be able to keep up with me. But then there is that other guy who you know can play you under the table. But something in you will not let you wimp out and you have to throw your hat in the ring. No guts no glory.

I had a (unintentional) poser moment at a local guitar shop once!

Short story - it was a Saturday afternoon and really busy, and I couldn't hear myself think let alone hear the guitar I was trying - everyone was playing at once!

I had to huddle in a corner ALA Rob Johnson to hear myself play, and was getting into it when I noticed it had all gone quiet....I looked up to see a large group of young guys watching me...

Ha ha ha...what a star! [unsure]

BluesKing777.

I have had that one happen a few times. I will be off by myself often playing some el cheapo Harmony Stella or something and I will look up and there is a small circle of folks watching me. The store owner told me though he loves it when I play those things as he always seems to sell one afterwards.

Gets worse though. I have been told the store owner and some of the regulars refer to old Kays, Harmonys, and the like, particularly the beat to heck pre-War ones, as "Woof Guitars."

I used to get upset about it until I resigned myself to the fact that it's their property and their way of doing business.

I think that's the healthy way to look at it. Most employees I know at my local GC are musicians and care about the instruments. The corporate paradigm is what it is. At my primary GC I hardly ever see anyone in the guitar jail (high-end lock up room) but me. My platinum manager dude always takes me in there, opens the cases and treats me like a valued customer. It sounds like your store has a different management philosophy. Try not to be worried about how others (in this case GC) let customers handle their equipment.

I think every store has its moments when folks try that it is up to the staff as to whether or not they get away with it. Stores up here post ask for assistance and most mean DON"T TOUCH unless you ask. Its a matter of respect and manners. something society is loosing touch with these days.

Never had anyone admiring me in the shops, , , except for a circa 8 years old boy, who recently sneaked up and positioned himself mesmerized by my side.

Some minutes later his mother arrived and gave a sweet glance on a whole other frequency, simply because I captured her son.

Guess those 2 were fuel enough for me to run another 200 miles. .

I had a teenager ask if I was a teacher because I was playing 'Malagueña".

Although, after thinking about it - he may have actually said 'Who is your teacher?"....

I like GC. The energy. If every retail store treated guitars like the untouchable holy grail - we'd never find the one we weren't looking for.

I got a Cordoba Gypsy King Studio once at a GC - not looking for a classical (flamenco), but the one on the wall was just so great - compared to everything, including the steel stringers.

And, as noted on another thread here re. a NGD CobraBurst J45 - many of us are able to afford a better guitar, because it was 'gently used'.

The discount - let's say $250 - is just treated as a cost of doing business. Same as advertising expense.

Maybe it is because I am a Geezer, or just respect others property. The shops I go to, I ask the employee to take down the guitar or mandolin and then I let them demo it. When they offer it to me, I take it and try it out, but when I am done, I ask them to put it back for me. I hate the thought of marking up anybody elses gear, even by accident. [mellow]

few years ago, there was a guy that used to come in to the place I used to teach at, grab a guitar, and go stand in front of the stores "mirror" wall (note that this mirror wall was done to give the impression of a the store being a larger area than it was) and he'd basically look at himself, with the guitar on in various "poses"..

(I aint kidding) he never played a note, on any of them. Would repeat this spectacle for a few guitars that he was "liking" that day, then, without a word, he would leave the store, and we'd not see him for a few weeks, but eventually we'd see him come back in. Same routine, every time.

(he wasn't a kid either, maybe mid twenties. I can't say he looked weird or anything,, a bit goofy I suppose, but I probably look goofy too)

So one day, while checking how sweet he looked with Epi Les Paul, as he was putting it back on to the second row of hanger racks, it fell, on it's way down, it took three guitars on the first row of hangers to the floor with it, one was a pretty nice Ibanez Artcore (that poor thing never had a chance..)

So everyone hears all this commotion, look over to see the pile of carnage on the floor with this guy just standing there with this "Oh CRAP" expression,, with out a word, quickly made his way to the front door, to the best of my knowledge, he's never returned.

quite a bit of damage done that day. More so that a bang or bonk while taking down a guitar...

Be careful out there kids..

Real nice, splake. I'm a bit jealous when I look at those pics..........The cool thing about a good guitar, especially that J45 is that it will make you want to play more and play better. Keep it going. You're on your way.

I had a teenager ask if I was a teacher because I was playing 'Malagueña".

Although, after thinking about it - he may have actually said 'Who is your teacher?"....

I like GC. The energy. If every retail store treated guitars like the untouchable holy grail - we'd never find the one we weren't looking for.

I got a Cordoba Gypsy King Studio once at a GC - not looking for a classical (flamenco), but the one on the wall was just so great - compared to everything, including the steel stringers.

And, as noted on another thread here re. a NGD CobraBurst J45 - many of us are able to afford a better guitar, because it was 'gently used'.

The discount - let's say $250 - is just treated as a cost of doing business. Same as advertising expense.

Not to beat a dead horse here, but I am not saying treat the guitars like "untouchable holy grail" missing the point. When I walk in there and there are a bunch of guys banging the guitars around, and cracking on the tuners to change the sound while they are cracking on the guitar, and I see a 12 string taylor with three strings broken, and scraches both above and below the pick guards on guitars I have to safe a year for..(like my cobra), makes me raise an eyebrow. Jsut torks me off because I do enjoy going over the the acoustic room and playing some different string boxes ( carefully),, but let me ask, how long do you think a company is going to have an open acoustic room, when Nascar Johnny and his buddies are treating 2500 guitars like spare tires. Then we all suffer because they close the acoustic room. thats my only point. Again guys no right or wrong answer. And it aint my business, it is the Guitar Center managers issue, But when they close the acoustic room, who loses?,, I was just taught respect growing up, and my old man would of hung me from the tree in the front yard for acting like I see many "artists" act in the acoustic room. I remember getting my *** kicked sideways for touching things in the grocery store, not to mention a $2500 guitar.

Again boys, just my opinon, right or wrong.

Unfortunately I did not get a discount on the scratched Cobra. I got the standard 15% discount speciall they had on all Gibson products. and 18 months zero financing. It is what it is. When I asked for a discuount, I was told, they couldnt and they had no more Cobra's and he would be happy to order me a new sunburst. [smile]

Short story - it was a Saturday afternoon and really busy, and I couldn't hear myself think let alone hear the guitar I was trying - everyone was playing at once! I had to huddle in a corner ALA Rob Johnson to hear myself play, and was getting into it when I noticed it had all gone quiet....I looked up to see a large group of young guys watching me...
Rawk. The power of the blues. Ive had the occasional punter stop and listen for my so-so renditions of Gary Davis numbers--- dont think pope hear picking like that in their normal day-to-day. Keep spreading the news....

Archived