Gibson Brands Forums

Headstock breakage

slk

Ok guys I have a question here about the headstocks. What is the major cause of headstock breakage. I have never had one break, but when I am looking at used guitars on craigs list I am amazed at how many have been broken..Ya think most are just from carelessness, or is there a weak point in guitars today????

Steve

dropping the guitar when it is "fully tuned", or pushing on the head stock with excessive force to make a "faux whammy" sound. But "falling off" the guitar stand and other "mishaps" can snap it off...probably the most common cause.

That guy does some nice work. Would have never thought you could get it back looking good again. Bet that job was not cheap. Might not be worth fixing some guitars....

I never stand mine up on a stand. I have always just laid them back in the case when done. I have always tried to be careful with my guitars, but don't want to have to over baby them.

I build furniture and have dropped lots of pieces of wood and have never had any crack like that but I guess the big factor is that string tension on guitars. It must add another stress factor to things...

So the falling/dropping is the most detrimental thing for guitars headstocks??? "BE CAREFUL"

Steve

If you snap off the headstock, it can be fixed...most likely. Gather up any and all "shards" too. Do not touch the broken wood...oil from fingers will not allow the repair glue to "set up" properly. I use this guy on severe breaks and other "things" that I don't have the tools, equipment and expertise to fix, next town over from where my residence is.

http://www.guitardoctor.com/

I was spinning the guitar around my shoulder and the screw holding in my strap-lock came clear out of the guitar and it went flying

Oh to be a fly on the wall that day!

If I told you it happened in my fraternity house would it make the story more interesting?

If I told you it happened in my fraternity house would it make the story more interesting?

You had me at "spinning my guitar around my shoulder". Just didn't get to do that enough in my time of guitar tomfoolery, but it was always one of my favorite tricks. If I did it today I'd probably break something on me, not the guitar.

You Go.

rct

Also, I believe "shipping damage" is the cause of a lot of broken guitars. The cardboard boxes that are used to hold new guitars do not stand up to all the kicking around the "gorillas" at Fedex/USPS/UPS do. I wanted to obtain a blue SG with vibrolla..got 2 of them (from Sam Ash) first one, brokenGEDC0182_zpsd86dd202.jpg at the "heel", sent it back...second one...same condition...not the same guitar...needless to say I was upset and quite disappointed as I had contacted Sam Ash after the first mishap and returning it and they said it would be "packed better"...it wasn't and they lost a potentially good customer...the proof is in the pics... Musicians Friend, Sweetwater and Zzounds...never any problems.

GEDC0185_zps5e3d0492.jpg

Hey Epiphone...got any blue sg's with the vibrolla thing ? want to send me one ? Please pack it so it wont get broken...lol

I have one and its a great guitar . i will put some pictures up of it it took me 3 of them to get a real nice one

You had me at "spinning my guitar around my shoulder". Just didn't get to do that enough in my time of guitar tomfoolery, but it was always one of my favorite tricks. If I did it today I'd probably break something on me, not the guitar.

You Go.

rct

I would also never do that spinning thing ever again. Both for my safety and the safety of my guitars. [tongue]

I would also never do that spinning thing ever again. Both for my safety and the safety of my guitars. [tongue]

Yeah but man it was Fun! Best Spinner Award from me goes to....The Guys In Winger. Reb would hit harmonics and spin it, get it back and keep on layin into it, never losing the harmonic. Him and Kip, Kip Winger now, like all 6 foot 8 of him and some massive bass I don't even remember what it was, just randomly at great drum fill spots and great vocal punctuation spots, spinning at the same time, perfectly.

rct

Archived