Gibson Brands Forums

tuning question

neil stewart

If this is a topic that has already been addressed, I apologize, I don't know exactly how to search for this question. I have a Epiphone Joe Bonnamassa Les Paul gold top. He has a very unconventional way to string his guitar and my EPI was stringed in the way he prefers. So, the guitar has a hard tail and you run your strings through the tailpiece and then up into the tuning keys. Instead of running the strings from the back to the front, he runs the strings from the front to the back then bends the strings up over the tailpiece. Anyway, I changed strings today and re strung exactly the way it was and I have a concern. The strings as they bend over the tailpiece are jagged and quite sharp. I wonder though, if there is a potential that the strings may break from there. Would any of you old les paul dogs have anything to say about this? Thanks. By the way, this is my first les paul. I have never played one before and I have to say, BRAVO! /clap clap this guitar just sings.

Neil,

Welcome to the forum and Congrats!!!

HNGD.....Pics?

Are you talking about this?

ed3.jpg

If so, it's called "top wrapping" and some players prefer it. Some say it makes bends easier.

(that I'm not so sure about)

It does, for a fact, keep the strings off the back side of the bridge so they only touch the saddles.

(so does raising the tailpiece slightly)

Either case, if this is what you are talking about, is a matter of preference.

Willy

Hey Willy, thank you for the reply. I will string this way because i'm ok with it. My question is, is there a risk of the string breaking as its bent over the tail piece? The string ends sticking out of the tailpiece are kind of prickly. I'm more worried about losing an eye.

Breaking a string due to top wrapping should not be an issue, or at least not a larger one as when stringing as intended from the start.

As for me, I always take care that the sharp ends are pointing downwards. I wouldn't want them pricking my palm. By the way, I'm not a top-wrapper.

Archived