Lzzy Hale Explorer Owners Board

ZuWa

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've bought two Gibsons in the past year and both had the same smell. Kinda like that new car smell.............always a treat. [tongue]

My V, too, had that POWERFUL vanilla smell. I'm sad to say it's starting to go away. Gibson needs to look into making it a perfume.

"For the sophisticated lady hoping to land a guy who won't leave the house two weeks after NGD, because he's busy smelling his guitar" [razz]

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know what pickguard spec is on this guitar? I want to order a white pearl pickguard for mine. I know it's not a 76 spec.

Most folks who make replacement pickguards either request that you send them the original pickguard, or a tracing of the guard so they can make a good fitting replacement.

If you're buying from a catalog make sure you can return it if it doesn't fit perfectly, including all of the screws lining up.

Lzzy played a white Explorer for years, but I don't know the year or what edition it was based on. Just a white, dot neck Explorer. Her sig model is supposted to be based on that guitar.

Sorry can't help more.

Thank you for the reply, I have talked to several people and yes they all want me to send the original or at least a tracing of it. I was hoping someone on the thread would know what the speck was. I can tell you for sure that it is not a 76 spec guard lol

Thank you for the reply, I have talked to several people and yes they all want me to send the original or at least a tracing of it. I was hoping someone on the thread would know what the speck was. I can tell you for sure that it is not a 76 spec guard lol

I don't know what year her sig is based on, but it's probably based on the Explorer she played years ago. I think there is a pic of it in this thread, and you can Google it and maybe identify it.

Of course, this model may not be based on that model, but it's a start.

I have used Pickguardian in the past when I needed a replacement pickguard and he did a good job and had a pretty quick turn-around if I remember correctly.

Have you tried taking the Lzzy to a local guitar shop and maybe pick the brain of the local guitar experts with the guitar in hand? I'm sure most blokes would try to help you out, take measurements, check catalogs, etc.

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Tone Pro Adjustment Info

Lzzy Hale explorer question, any of you know what size allen wrench it takes to loosen the set screws on the bridge? I need to lower my strings a bit.

Sorry I don't have a more direct answer to your question! I imagine a little "trial and error" should do the trick.

• 1 month later...

For owners of the Limited Edition Lzzy Hale Explorer: This board is for you! Please check in and say hi. If you can. please post a picture of your Lzzy. Sound clips and videos would be most appreciated too!

Also, what motivated you to buy this particular guitar? Are you a fan of Lzzy Hale, her band Halestorm or do you just like Gibson Explorers? Please join in the conversation.

Here's mine:

dcf4ecab-0d9c-45a0-8e41-860a5e9aabff.jpg

I have always loved white guitars, particularly Les Paul Customs and Explorers. Alas, I have never obtained one.

Halestorm is a killer band with heavy guitars and a vocalist that slays. Turns out that Lzzy is a self proclaimed "Gibson Girl" who loves - wait for it - white guitars, particularly Les Pauls and Explorers.

Score.

Please participate and tell us about your Lzzy Explorer. These guitars are selling out everywhere - I believe the total production will be under 200.

Let's get this on. I hope to hear from all of you Lzzy owners.

I FINALLY have my LZZY!! She's also my first Gibson, so this is huge for me! Hubs took me over to Sam Ash and we ordered her June 5th, and the 1st one came in the following Thursday. I got a call from Sam Ash saying they're so sorry, there's a crack in the finish and they're overnighting another one for me,come tomorrow we'll take care of it. The second one also had a crack just below the headstock next to the low E string. I was like fine.... let's plug her in! And the upper pickup didn't work. So I'm internally freaking out at this point. They get on the phones with Gibson, other stores trying to locate one. Then the store manager comes up to me with another case and says I don't care what we have to do, you're getting your guitar today. We can switch out pick guards if we have to. Turns out she had this 3rd Lzzy in her office, and " didnt" realize it. The scratches on the pick guard were just on the plastic, and so I brought her home. Still need to adjust the action a little, there's a lot of sting buzz when I hit chords, but even then I LOVE this guitar :-) My Thunderhorse is jealous.

Serial # 140111669

Anyone know exactly how to decode them?

post-72566-098925700 1434415624_thumb.jpg

post-72566-000789400 1434415635_thumb.jpg

I FINALLY have my LZZY!! She's also my first Gibson, so this is huge for me! Hubs took me over to Sam Ash and we ordered her June 5th, and the 1st one came in the following Thursday. I got a call from Sam Ash saying they're so sorry, there's a crack in the finish and they're overnighting another one for me,come tomorrow we'll take care of it. The second one also had a crack just below the headstock next to the low E string. I was like fine.... let's plug her in! And the upper pickup didn't work. So I'm internally freaking out at this point. They get on the phones with Gibson, other stores trying to locate one. Then the store manager comes up to me with another case and says I don't care what we have to do, you're getting your guitar today. We can switch out pick guards if we have to. Turns out she had this 3rd Lzzy in her office, and " didnt" realize it. The scratches on the pick guard were just on the plastic, and so I brought her home. Still need to adjust the action a little, there's a lot of sting buzz when I hit chords, but even then I LOVE this guitar :-) My Thunderhorse is jealous.

Serial # 140111669

Anyone know exactly how to decode them?

wow . what a journey! Hope you're happy with the guitar you finally got. You'll soon find out that she growls like no other - the Classic 57 Plus is just a nasty mo-fo! Recheck your serial number 'cause something is outta whack with the one you posted.

The serial number pattern is:

YDDDYBRRR

YY is the production year

DDD is the day of the year

B is the batch number

RRR is the factory ranking/plant designation number.

So, your serial number breaks down to the following:

Year: 2011 (not right).

Day of the year: 401 (not right either)

Batch number: 1 (not right. They start with batch number 0 and only go to 1 after making almost 670 guitars in the batch. They probably aren't making that many Lzzy's in total).

Ranking/plant number: 669. possibly correct, but probably not since the others are all wrong! :)

Thanks for posting and thanks for sharing pics!

Thanks! So I tried taking a photo of the serial # on the headstock but it didn't come out. Here's the card that was in the case with it. The only other thing on the headstock is 'Made in USA 2014 Model". Soooooo.... I dunno!

post-72566-093065800 1434663115_thumb.jpg

Thanks! So I tried taking a photo of the serial # on the headstock but it didn't come out. Here's the card that was in the case with it. The only other thing on the headstock is 'Made in USA 2014 Model". Soooooo.... I dunno!

I did a little more research - Gibson changed up their serial numbering system for '14, their 120 year in business. See below video:

Gibson Serial Numbering System - 2014

So, your Lzzy is the 111,669 Gibson made in '14. Dang, that's a lot of guitars! :)

I assume they are going back to their old system in '15.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so we drove to Albequerque and saw Halestorm last week, got super lucky, stayed late, met the band and they boys signed my case, Lzzy signed the back of my headstock. (I'm STILL in shock over our meeting). Questions is: Should I seal the sig on the headstock? She signed it high enough where I'm not making contact when playing. The boys signed the case, and I know that is must be a somewhat porous material, so what can I use to seal them in before they begin to fade? I had googled both, and got mixed reviews on: covering with nitro over the sig, but then some mentioned it could ruin the sharpie; some mentioned useing pick guard weight plastic anc cut to size, but I feel that if it were ever removed, the ink may go with it. Please advise with ANY help!!! Thanks in advance :-)

I attempted posting a pic last night or the sig, and it wouldn't load b/c it's too large... and I don't know how to resize :-( Frustrating!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I have had my Lzzy Hale Explorer for about two months now. The reason why i bought the guitar; is not because i am a Halestorm fan. It was the sound, look -and feel of it that grabbed a hold of me. Today i have about 10 high end Gibson brand guitars. And this one has certainlly earned it's rightful place among them. However; it took abit of doin' on the guitar to get it theere. It's pretty amazing to axeprerience the positive effects of the Lzzy Hale -when the guitar is set up just right. I HIGHLY RECOMEND all the LH Explorer owners to put in that extra little effort into the guitar.

Here is what is done on mine:

The biggest issue om my guitar was that the PU routing on the bridge pick up was way too tight for the covered PU mounted in the hole. This resulted (like on many other gibsons) -that the pick up could not tilt properly against the stringangle over it. The neck bobbin was way closer -compred to the bridge bobbin on the PU. This even with a correctly angeled mounting ring. To get it right needed a small routing job on the back/bridge wall in the PU chamber. The natural angle positition for the PU is in a parallell angle against the stringtilt over the body -NOT parallell to the body. Soundwise this resulted is a pretty big difference. I Think it's remakable that Gibson doesen't put more/better attention to theese things in their factory.

The second thing i do on all my Gibsons -is to replace the small multi wire that usually runs between the electric chamber and the PU selector switch. That thing is a tone sucker! This wire can be replaced with 4 single wires -or 3 braided Gibson style wires. I personly prefer the braided one. It keeps the instrument a little more quiet in terms of hum on a more demanding stage with alot of stagelights.

The third thing is pick up pole adjustment. When You buy i brand new Gibson guitar -or a replacement pick up; The polescrews are just adjusted in a pretyy much staright line. What needs to be done; is to match the pole height to the bridge radius of the guitar. Without this done; the strings in the middle will just sound tired and flat -or the edge strings will sound too much.

The fourth thing concernes the Gibson standard fretlevelling job. The Gibson PLEK machine produces a great result in "routing" the top of the fretheight perfectly across the entire fretboard. However: This also often leaves a harsh edge on each side of the flat spot on each fret. (You can easily spot this by simply scraping with Your nail against each side of the frets.) Theese harsh edges needs to be tended to -in order to get that truely smooth payability in the guitar. It also increases the note sustain against the frets -and the is alot less anoying "saw-sound" when You are really rubbing the srrings against the frets.

With this said: The Limited Edition Lzzy Hale Explorer is a truely remarkable instrument in every way. It totally owns soundwise in just about every Music style out there today. It's realiable -and is totally ready to get to work every day. -No issues, -all business, -all the way.

Finally some personal comments on Lzzy's choises on her signature guitar:

I Think it's pretty inpressive for a female artist to go with a fatter neck profile. This is a importatnt thing in getting the true sustain that the Les Paul Customs are known for. (One of the main reasons i bought the guitar myself.) I have had the Sammy Hagar signature Explorer Before -and that thing is just plain sissy compared to the Lzzy. The Lzzy Hale Explorer is truely a solid statement -and a belive it's here to stay.

I can't believe they rout the pickup cavities like they do, Indexed by the back of the guitar sitting flat instead of by the top..

Unfortunetly this is true. All You need to do is to look at any Gibson guitar with PU's mounted into the pickguard -insted of a PU ring; like: -The Flying V's, -some SG's; to name just a few models: And You'll see this.

What's even more remarkable is that You will find this paricular flaw on many Gibsons with the PU rings too.

And this is not a isolated accident/thing; that only accures on a few Lzzy Explorers: Of the 4 Lzzy Hale Explorers i have seen: ALL have had EXACTLY the same problem. Here's a YT presentation of a another brand new Lzzy Hale Explorer from a store:

If You look closely: You can see/spot this on the opening shot of the guitar. (The bridge PU is tilted towards the bridge -instead of the neck.)

My own solution to the Gibson pick up tilt problem:

This will take a bit of Tech doin'; but the revard You will get for it; is well worth the extra effort:

- A.) Remove the strings of the guitar.

- B.) Remove the PU-ring -or PU-guard.

- C.) Measure the length of the PU-heght/mounting screws that sicks out under the ring/guard. (You want to know ruffly how deep into the guitar body theese screws sink/go.)

- D.) Measure the peepth of all the PU height screw cavities on each PU chamber.

- E.) Check how far thru the PU height screws goes thru the mounting legs of each PU when properly height adjusted. (The bridge PU usually guoes thru far more compared to the neck PU.)

- F.) Compare Your measurements. Measurements: "C" minus "D" tells You how muck clearence there is between the floor in the chamber -and the end of PU height screw. Add "E" to this measurent.

- G.) Find some fitting woodpieces -and shape 4 pieces that fits snug in each spering cavity. The height of the wood pieces doesn't have to be as think as "C" minus "D" + "E". They just need to prevent the PU heght screws of hangin' free. You choose the thickness; but: "C" minus "D" + 0.1 inches will probably work just fine.

- H.) Push the wooden pieces into their own holes -in each PU chamber.

- I.) Take off the springs of each PU height mounting screw, -and mount the PU's again without the springs. (Rember your "C" height measurements.)

- J.) Mount the guard -or ring with the PU's with out the springs. (You will notice that the heads of the PU heght screws sticks out from the gurad/ring.

- K.) Screw on -and tighten the E-strings on the guitar lightly.

- L.) Tilt Your PU's correcly against the strings. Remember: This also works equally good on getting the correct polepositions under the strings for the PU's. (Any position will work - You choose.)

- M.) Apply a screwdriver against the head of each correctly tilted PU heightscrews; and softly knock on the top of the screwdriver handle with a light hammer. (Ths will leave marks on Your custom made wooden pieces.)

- N.) Remove the guard/ring with the PU's.

- O.) Use a drilltool with a fitting size drillhead to drill the holes at the marks. A correct size for the holes are ONLY to stabilaze the PU heighrscrew angle; NOT to acuually thread into the Wood. IMPORTANT: 1.) You OLNY need to drill the depth that will allow the PU height screws back down to the Surface of the guard/ring. 2.) Remember the drill angle -to match Your own chosen PU tilt. 3.) Be careful so that You don't drill all the way throgh the guitar body!

- P.) RE-mount Your springs to Your PU mounting -and assemble. Just find -and fit the holes on the PU height screws.

Sorry for all the many steps: But as a luthiere i have found that it's effort -and time saving; just to be a that extra little bit clear on theese things. Better to get it right from the start.

So: What will this really do for Your guitar? Well:

- It will angle the PU's properly against the strings on the guitar.

- It will position the PU's pole alignment exactly against the strings of the guitar.

- It will elimenate all the isssues with loose & "dangly" -mountted PU's. (The PU's mounting is firm and realiable.)

- It will change the tone of the PU's a little bit. The correct PU angle will result in a better & tighther tone. Also: The PU it self will pick up wooden vibrations from the PU height screws too. Theese natural vibrations makes the PU more naturally synced on the guitar. (A little bit in the same way Eddie Van Halen did it in his Frankenstrat -when he mounted a Gibson 335 style PU straight into the Wood of the guitar body.) -It sounds GREAT!

- Hope You like it!

• 6 months later...

I love my Lzzy Hales. I keep two in storage for my collection and play the third. Great guitar!post-72564-089894400 1453585021_thumb.jpg

What a great shot! Thanks for sharing!

Do you notice any difference between them, either sound-wise, feel-wise, etc? They really are great guitars in all respects - The Classic 57 + pickup is a monster.

• 4 weeks later...