Gibson Brands Forums

Lzzy Hale Explorer Owners Board

ZuWa

For owners of the Limited Edition Lzzy Hale Explorer: This board is for you! Please check in and say hi. If you can. please post a picture of your Lzzy. Sound clips and videos would be most appreciated too!

Also, what motivated you to buy this particular guitar? Are you a fan of Lzzy Hale, her band Halestorm or do you just like Gibson Explorers? Please join in the conversation.

Here's mine:

dcf4ecab-0d9c-45a0-8e41-860a5e9aabff.jpg

I have always loved white guitars, particularly Les Paul Customs and Explorers. Alas, I have never obtained one.

Halestorm is a killer band with heavy guitars and a vocalist that slays. Turns out that Lzzy is a self proclaimed "Gibson Girl" who loves - wait for it - white guitars, particularly Les Pauls and Explorers.

Score.

Please participate and tell us about your Lzzy Explorer. These guitars are selling out everywhere - I believe the total production will be under 200.

Let's get this on. I hope to hear from all of you Lzzy owners.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sexy guitar, a sweet little dog.

I have a regular Explorer, so I'll go now!

rct

rct,

Of course your comments are appreciated! :)

I just want to "explore" those who pulled the trigger on the Lzzy Explorer.

Feel free to comment to your heart's content!

Someone asked me what this axe sounded like with a 5150. Here it is recorded with a old PODxt and a 5150 mkii patch. Tech 21 Trademark 60 and power engine for amplification. Recorded with an ancient Asus netbook.

Lzzy is tuned down into "Drop D flat". That is, the guitar is tuned down a 1/2 step, then the low E is taken down another step.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjcUe0RQV0A&feature=youtu.be

Just talked to a Canadian distributor, they are taking preorders and I'm going to place my order this weekend. Can anyone confirm the production number on this Explorer? I'm a huge Halestorm fan firstly but also own the Bill Kelliher 'Golden Axe' Explorer with a supposed run of only 400 guitars. I'm wondering if this Lzzy Hale model will have similar low numbers?

Someone posted that they were told by an online guitar store of a production run of under 180 but I haven't any first hand info.

GIbson hasn't released a production number.

Hope you're able to snag one. It's a great guitar.

Someone posted that they were told by an online guitar store of a production run of under 180 but I haven't any first hand info.

GIbson hasn't released a production number.

Hope you're able to snag one. It's a great guitar.

I'm going to do my best, it'll be a nice compliment to the Golden Axe. I wish Gibson wasn't so secretive about their production numbers though.

I'm going to do my best, it'll be a nice compliment to the Golden Axe. I wish Gibson wasn't so secretive about their production numbers though.

They are hard to find. Seems that most shops are receiving only two or three at a time at best. Some have stopped taking pre-orders as Gibson cannot tell them how long it will be before they can receive more.

One was up on eBay, from an unauthorized dealer. Sam Ash was the only online shop that had one in stock the last time I checked.

This is my first Explorer so I have nothing to compare it to. There have been lot of different Explorer models over the years with different shapes for sure. I don't know how Lzzy stacks up. I do know that it's based on a "standard" Explorer with a few tweaks.  What is a standard Explorer - I don't know. :) I imagine it's based on the white dot Neck she played some years ago.

I just got mine last night. Here are my first impressions.

Well set up, my switch was a bit loose but no deal breaker there. One of the peril tuners had some dark discoloring in it. I'm right now trying to get a replacement knob. The feet on the case hinge edge were mis-aligned so the case will not stand up so watch out to the rest of you before you walk off from it if you leave it standing like that (I just won't). Then I tuned her up and plugged her into my JCM800. WOW!!!! I'm already a big fan of the 57's. In this guitar, they just make the Marshall SING!! Toss the switch up to the neck pup and you can get some warmth added to the tone. Flip her back to the bridge pup and the crispness kicks in that I just LOVE!! I pushed up the Marshall to the point where I'm rattling the roof a bit and (before the neighbors call the cops)stand back. Sustain for years! I put it on the stand, plucked the 6th string, and could go take a P and come back with it still singing. The neck on this guitar is not as thick as a Les Paul with a 50s neck. It is a little wider than the Paul. Very similar to the Golden Axe. Not as thin as a slim taper on a ES335, ES336, or a Midtown. The neck is actually similar to a SG Supra in feel to me (don't know how many of you have a Supra to compare to, I don't think they sold very many of those). Gibson also included the bigger strap knobs like on a 2014 LP Traditional. Love that too. I have not compared it to the Golden Axe yet. Will probably try that this weekend when I have more time to play around. You will find that the location of the switch is different on the Lzzy as compared to the Golden axe. The Lizzy is in the standard location, makes for a different reach than the Golden Axe. Sorry, no Pics or sound bites for now. Also try for that this weekend. I saw one question about the body size. It is the same size as my Golden Axe (if that helps at all) but I have not played or held any other Explorer other than those 2. I wasn't sure I would like the gold pickguard. I'm still considering replacing it with a cream peril pickguard but the more I look at it, the more I like the solid gold. I have no regrets what so ever about this guitar. Just wish I had more time in the day to play it.

Great post! I have the same experience with the 57 Classic and 57 Classic Plus pickups. They are voiced perfectly for this guitar. Fat bass, crunchy mids, and clear sparkling highs.

The large strap buttons are nice. The tuners have a very precise ratio. You can really dial your tuning in.

Overall a fantastic guitar. Glad you are digging it too.

Hey, did your Lzzy Gibson smell like vanilla cotton candy? Some say the glue used to make the case is responsible for the smell, but I think it's the lacquer smell of a right out of the factory guitar.

Cotton candy isn't exactly what I would describe it as, but its a sickly sweet smell mixed with fresh paint for sure. Pretty strong too.

It's funny you guys are mentioning the smell. I agree it is quite noticable. The scribling on my Gibson check list for the Lzzy is dated 10/03/2014 and I got it 10/22 so it was pretty fresh from the factory. I can't say I go to cotton candy when I smell it but I must say, whatever it is, I truely LOVE to smell it. I'm still taking lessons (never too old to learn)and when I bring in a new Gibson to show my instructor, it is really funny to see him open up the case and take a big deep breath. Just a nice bonus to owning a true Gibson. I notice that none of my Fenders had that bonus to them. Maybe the SKB cases you get Fenders in kills it?

One other thing I forgot to mention before on the Lzzy was I noticed that the Stop Bar now has little set screws on the hooks to hold them to the posts. None of my other Gibson have that so I'm guessing that this is something new. I'm wondering if it will gouge up the post and its finish. But, as long as you don't have to remove the Stop Bar, it will be OK.

While I'm on the Stop Bar, another thing is that the posts are not screwed in all the way. I've heard from others that, if you screw them in all the way, it will actually add to the guitar's susatin. I've noticed that some of my other Gibsons don't have the posts screwed in all the way. I tried it with a 2013 Les Paul and, at least to me, I thought it did indeed add to the sustain. But after looking at it, I noticed that the strings now rest on the back edge of the Bridge as they go back to the Stop Bar. To fix that, I threaded my strings through the Stop Bar in reverse so the string comes out towards the back of the guitar and then up over the Stop Bar and on to the Bridge (hope that made sense and sorry I know a picture would help here). Anybody have any thoughts on doing this good, bad, or ugly?