Gibson Brands Forums

All time favourite owned

'Scales

Of all the guitars and amps you have owned in the past or present, if you could pair up any one of those guitars with any one of the amps, what would the rig be?

Maybe its what your using right now, [wink]

Maybe it's an "if only I'd kept them...." scenario. [crying]

Maybe guitars and amps you never had the opportunity to pair up as you owned them at different times. ](*,)

I guess I'll get it started. :rolleyes:

I've never really had massive amounts of gear, so it's not that hard for me to choose. My current setup is by far my favorite (notice there's no letter u in favorite [flapper]). An R7 Gold Top played through my Carvin Legacy. Beautiful, deep, rich cleans and if I want just a little OD I keep it on the clean channel and step on the MojoMojo pedal. For high gain, I use the amps Lead channel.

I've had a few other tube amp rigs in the past and they've been great, but this is my best set-up so far. Now if the amp weighed less than 80lbs it would be perfect.

I've kind of been lucky enough to acquire many of the instruments I always dreamed of as a kid over the past 5 years including;

Gibson 1957 Les Paul Custom (3 p/up & Bigsby)

Gibson ES 175 Reissue

Gibson ES 5 Switchmaster

- all through a FSR Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (wine/tan/wheat finish)

But my all time favourite is still probably my old 1997 Les Paul Studio I got when I was 15 through the Fender!! Odd perhaps, but the guitar has many special memories for me and I've played it so much it just feels right.

I think my current line up of gear (in my sig) is exactly what I have always wanted, maybe then some, lol. I think we feel at times a little nostalgic over stuff we sold or lost and perhaps think of them in higher regard than they were at the time for us. Guess that is why many of us get gear, sell gear and then reacquire the same gear, lol. I would love to get back my 1991 Music Man Van Halen guitar in purple, thats the one guitar I never should have sold ( but I needed money).

My Strat into my 57 deluxe is it for me, they really sing together

So best sounding guitar and amp combinations we've ever had, right?

For me, the Les Paul custom in avatar through 1965 Fender Bassman head into a 2-12 Marshall cab was one of the best rigs ever for me! I had two of those Bassman heads over the years, and yes I shoulda kept them!

Current best sounding combos:

Les Paul standard into 18 watt Marshall clone w/ Marshall 4-10 cab. I use an attenuator to get the 18 watter really singing. Great classic rock sound.

Fender Strat into Fender SF Deluxe Reverb - gain on 8-10 and attenuated of course. Great for country and blues.

Whatever I am using today. Tomorrow, it will be whatever I am using tomorrow. The old stuff was from another time, we played another way, in different places. The overall sound of it is today colored by memory and youth and stuff, it probably didn't sound all that great anyway. It's evolution, it happens, go with it.

rct

Whatever I am using today. Tomorrow, it will be whatever I am using tomorrow. The old stuff was from another time, we played another way, in different places. The overall sound of it is today colored by memory and youth and stuff, it probably didn't sound all that great anyway. It's evolution, it happens, go with it.

rct

Very true, in fact, for guitars, it's whatever I have in my hands, or whenever I get ready to play, it's whatever I pull out of its case, or whatever I'm looking forward to grabbing when I start.

I must say that I have been particularly enjoying my Mesa Express 5:50. I play it clean with a touch of reverb and usually go through a Hardwire DL-8 using a touch of analog delay. I love the mellowness and punch of T-I flatwounds.

I'm pretty much going to say what the others have said.

The stuff I have now is what I like - otherwise I'd have sold it to buy something else.

Music Man 2x12 Sixty Five combo and my #1 LP.

I must say I had the chance to pay it through one of the new Fender Tweed series - don't know which model, though - and it sounded fantastic. Different but fantastic.

P.

Funny thing is, my favorite rig has never seen the light of day. It's never left my house in its complete form. It's my Midtown Kalamazoo into my Boss SD-1 into my Vintage Sound Classic 22. I play it at home, but haven't gigged it yet, so I can't say whether or not it handles live situations well.

I checked over and tuned all my guitars this morning. I play my Stratocaster most often these days, but, the tone of my Gibson SG Standard makes me very happy, (the SG is my muse).

Strumming chords on the 12 string Les Paul is pleasing as well.

I played through my Micro-cube into headphones since I am at home.

My current setup: SG Classic with Bigsby through my Silvertone 1484 and my arsenal of too many pedals. Sometimes I have to fight to play the amp at its sweet spot. Hey, if it's too loud get some earplugs!

I enjoy playing my '69 Epiphone solid body very much. Favourite amp to date might just be my Hiwatt G200R so I'm also happiest with what I have right now (though a dream amp is somewhere down the track for me too).

and Saturn, there most certainly is a 'u' in favourite where I live my friend, even if not where 'U' live. [biggrin]

All time favourite owned amp:

Fender Twin Reverb II 2x12 combo. Rivera designed to compete with Boogies and Dumbles and it does. Amazing and they go cheap these days. Too heavy though - I pulled all my rib muscles picking it up wrong a few years back, so I gig with a red-knob Concert 60 now.

Guitar; too difficult to choose! But must be one of my Gibsons at the moment......

OK, my all time favorite rig featured my 1985 Gibson Explorer that had a Dimarzio super distortion in the bridge and a Jackson vintage jazz in the neck.

a224080d-5355-4135-a6c1-cd052dda4bf1_zps3cc95145.jpg

It was played through two different amps.............

First was a silver face Fender Super Reverb......it was tragic........only had one working channel, beat up, but if you cranked it up loud and let it get hot enough that it smelled like it was about to burst into flame, it sounded like heaven.

The second was through a Bedrock 1400 head into a 4x12 cab. Just a monster amp. Never should have let it go, but just didn't need a half stack any more.

NHTom

For me it's my current rig. Gibson LP Classic Antique thru my Peavey Classic VT Series. Of course I need to have my MXR 6-Band EQ , BOSS Compressor & Grunge pedals in the mix.

I use a combination of my clean channel which, with my '57 Classic and '57 Classic + pup's, gives me a nice crunch with hard attack or sweet clean sounds with soft attack (with different pick-up selections of course). When I want a little more kick, I switch to the AutoMix channel on the amp. When I want a lead boost or just an even more distortion kick, I add in the Compressor. When I want a High Gain distortion, (Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, etc.) I use my Grunge Pedal. Then I usually add in my Chorus, Flanger, or Phaser for RUSH, mostly without the Grunge, but that also depends on the song.

I guess with my current set-up, I'm set for any kind of music I want to play. I even playing around with "Over the Rainbow" and "What a Wonderful World" just to name a few, when I want to get mellow. [biggrin]

• 3 weeks later...

Archived