Gibson Brands Forums

Budget Gibson Acoustic

houndman55

The J15 is Gibson's least expensive acoustic, I think. It lists for $1499, although you can easily buy them almost anywhere for $100 less than that.

Perhaps your best bet is to catch them in stock at musicians friend, and hope that coincides with a Black Friday sale. Call MF and get the coupon code, or deal With them on the phone. The will likely give you 15% off the $1499 just for making the call.

By the way I routinely see the J15 used for sale a on the acoustic guitar forum for about $1000. Look used?

The J15 is Gibson's least expensive acoustic, I think. It lists for $1499, although you can easily buy them almost anywhere for $100 less than that.

Perhaps your best bet is to catch them in stock at musicians friend, and hope that coincides with a Black Friday sale. Call MF and get the coupon code, or deal With them on the phone. The will likely give you 15% off the $1499 just for making the call.

By the way I routinely see the J15 used for sale a on the acoustic guitar forum for about $1000. Look used?

Thanks for the idea. But keep in mind I live in Sweden. The only chain music stores here are 4sound and thomann.

Not sure "budget" and "Gibson" can be placed in the same sentence.

My opinion, as always, is do not settle on a guitar because it is all you can afford at the moment. Not saying the J-15 is not an excellent choice but if you want a J-45 or SJ do not settle just because of price. Take a deep breath and go enjoy some pickled herring or lingonberry jam on buttered toast. Be patient and put some more money away and get what you want. Play every Gibson you can get your hands on in the meantime. If you do not chances are you will always second guess yourself and end up parting with what you did buy and when all is said and done will have laid out more money than you would have had you waited a bit.

Real good point by Zomby...don't buy a guitar just because it's all you can afford. Not talking about getting a $200 guitar. When you're dying to start learning and playing, get what you can and start........ Talking about when your taking aim on the high dollar instruments. It's not fair to the J15 and J35 model, but I bought the J15 because I was really curious about what Gibson was making for the lower price. As it's turned-out I'm very pleased with my purchase. However, if I didn't already own other Gibsons, I'd likely have kept saving and got a Hummingbird, J45, etc. This isn't a "knock" on the J15s and 35s. It's just how my mind works in this situation. The point is, buy the J15, J35 because that is what you want. Don't get it simply because you're a few hundred short of a J45. The J45 is worth waiting-for. AND, the J15 is a hell-of-an-instrument. It's not a "lesser" guitar. It's just not loaded with embellishments like it's more expensive brothers and sisters.

Archived