Gibson Brands Forums

Best Epi for Acoustic Blues?

houndman55

Despite what the marketing guys that work for the guitar companies will try and tell you, the best thing about playing some dirt-under-your-fingernails blues is no special gear required. Only thing you need is what Rev. Davis once called a sporting right hand. You got that it does not matter what you are playing. Any guitar you like the sound of and are happy with the neck profile, nut width and string spread will get you there. This weekend I walked out the door with a 1930s Schmidt-made Galiano jumbo, a 1946 Gibson LG-2 and 1956 Epiphone FT-79. Darn if every one of them did not work out just fine.

I think Zombie kinda nailed it.

Your blues. Your guitar. Equals your music.

Somebody else's feel plus "their" guitar equals a copy of their music.

If the guitar seems to help you how you feel you should play stuff, that's best. Second best is the guitar you have in your hands. Third best is hoping you can copy somebody else and be real.

Yeah, you can, and almost have to be into the genre and have a feel for it.

But as an example, I dropped in unexpectedly at a dude ranch while the dudes were a bunch of European travel agents checking out an acquaintance of mine who has a pretty good rep overall. He and some others who had real cowboy skills to demonstrate talked me into pickin' his poorly setup guitar and a cupla cowboyish songs. Doggone if they didn't figure it was just fine, Chinese-made Japanese guitar, dead strings, high action and all. Of course, the fact I was wearing a hat probably helped, 'cuz the guitar didn't much.

m

Archived