Gibson Brands Forums

Plectrum Problems

houndman55

Hey,

How do you deal with the ever present problem of dropping the plectrum into the guitar? Some kind of technique or do you striclty play fingerstyle? I recently purchased a set of finger picks (those things banjo and dobro players use) but I haven't gotten into the technique yet.

...can only assume it's a technique thing.

As I see it, it's really an "experience" thing that only time and technique will cure. When learning to play, I remember losing the pick in the soundhole many times. I got REAL good at shaking it out. Just keep on practicing, eventually you will stop dropping your pick.

I also remember trying a thumb pick for this very same reason (and later for "fingerstyle" technique), but never took to the appendage permanently affixed in one position to my thumb.

I used to drop a pick into the guitar regularly.

Only now reading this I'm realising it hasn't happened in years. can only assume it's a technique thing. But I honestly haven't been thinking about technique to avoid this happening .

As I see it, it's really an "experience" thing that only time and technique will cure. When learning to play, I remember losing the pick in the soundhole many times. I got REAL good at shaking it out. Just keep on practicing, eventually you will stop dropping your pick.

Can confirm the lines I quoted from BBG and L5L.

Hi,

Have you thought about using some Gorilla Snot? I had this delivered into my e-mail and I couldn't believe what I was seeing!

http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/accessories-c2/plectrums-c50/guitar-plectrum-grip-c600/gorilla-snot-pick-honey-premium-guitar-pick-grip-made-in-usa-p8854?mc_cid=4f05538263&mc_eid=e8424fb88c

I was going to post it in the Lounge to see if anyone else had heard of it, I think I'll do that now. Seems kind of funny to me.

Ian

How do you deal with the ever present problem of dropping the plectrum into the guitar?

I don't do it ever. I guess the answer is play & practice more. Or ... get a grip ... on your pick. If you are attacking the strings at a difficult angle, change your angle of attack to reduce the resistance you're experiencing. Maybe playing for 40 years helps.

The more pick-experience the less drops. Wonder how big a percentage of your drops go into the hole, that would good to hear.

I still drop picks in the box and out in blue air, but much more seldom than when I took up flatpicking again a few years ago.

Still a farce to see me get them out. .

Any tricks. . ?

The last pick that I lost inside a guitar was through the F-hole on my 335, not a good situation. Wife to the rescue (I can always rely on her), she manoeuvred it so the plectrum was under the F-hole, then picked it up using a pencil with Blue-Tack on the end. I don't know what the U.S equivalent of Blue-Tack is.

Ian

The last pick that I lost inside a guitar was through the F-hole on my 335, not a good situation. Wife to the rescue (I can always rely on her), she manoeuvred it so the plectrum was under the F-hole, then picked it up using a pencil with Blue-Tack on the end. I don't know what the U.S equivalent of Blue-Tack is.

Ian

Ouuh, for an F-hole situation - cheers to your wife and don't ever divorce.

The more pick-experience the less drops. Wonder how big a percentage of your drops go into the hole, that would good to hear.

I still drop picks in the box and out in blue air, but much more seldom than when I took up flatpicking again a few years ago.

Still a farce to see me get them out. .

Any tricks. . ?

Turn the guitar upside down, and shake. Works for me.

graph tech tusq

I finally learned - after moving from fingerpicking to pickpicking - how to get the picks out relatively easily. Hold the guitar flat, looking into the hole. Gently shake until the pick bounces past the braces and is situated right below the soundhole. Then, in one quick, clean motion - turn the guitar upside down in an arc - this will keep the pick in place until you have the guitar exactly upside down - then centrifigal force will release the pick and it will fall straight down out of the soundhole.

Once I figured this out - I stopped dropping them in. Either because it wasn't as much fun anymore getting them out - or as others have noted, I just learned through experience.

On a side note - similar to my search for the perfect guitar - I've been searching for the perfect plectrum. I think I've finally found one that is about as good as possible. GraphTech Tusq. They are thinner but stonger than most picks. Less flexible, so I only need a .68. They have a slightly raised surface on both sides with their name/brand which gives a good grip. No scratchy sound. Nice and clear. Bag of 6 goes for around $5 at SamAsh.

I've been having problems holding on to my picks lately. I've done a lot of experimenting and trying out different ones. My favorites are the Fender 355 Heavy. Seems like everything I try still requires s grip. I'm going to track some kind of tacky sports grip stuff on a pick and see how it works. Lately, when I loose one it goes to the floor, not in the guitar

For me it's like dropping a penny in a urinal, I'm not going in for just one. Keep a pocket full of them and get them out when you change strings. As for fingerpicks the only way to get used to them is to stick with them IMO. On off on off it won't happen-commit and you'll never go back to bare tips.

For me it's like dropping a penny in a urinal, I'm not going in for just one. Keep a pocket full of them and get them out when you change strings. As for fingerpicks the only way to get used to them is to stick with them IMO. On off on off it won't happen-commit and you'll never go back to bare tips.

aliasphobias,

Curious as to what type of finger picks you use? I use metal for fingers and plastic for thumb but only for banjo. Can't seem to have any luck with them on my guitar. Just me or wrong picks?

Archived