Gibson Brands Forums

Back in Studio after 30 years

D28boy

Hi got back to guitar after a 30 year break...kids grown up now and got an urge to play. I used to play rhythm in a band but always wanted a shot at lead . So started learning about 2 years ago...got a band together of similarly aged folk back in Jan , played first gig in May and recorded this live in a studio last Sat in a day... Realise the mix isn't fantastic but time was short .I'd appreciate any comments

Hi got back to guitar after a 30 year break...kids grown up now and got an urge to play. I used to play rhythm in a band but always wanted a shot at lead . So started learning about 2 years ago...got a band together of similarly aged folk back in Jan , played first gig in May and recorded this live in a studio last Sat in a day... Realise the mix isn't fantastic but time was short .I'd appreciate any comments

Sounds like a pub band.

• 7 months later...

Northern Sky: I recognize some of the lead riffs as Randy Rhoads, could be a coincidence. Goodbye to Romance solo. Nice singing on this track. Laid back.

I was surprised as the tracks progressed. More of a metal feel, some halen flange going on, and some heavy chugging. In my opinion the guitar leads sound thin, as though the same tone is used from the rhythm section. I would fill in the mids for the lead lines and fatten it up with stereo delay, even just the slightest amount. If this is a direct recording I would put a mic preamp first on my list and start recording amplified speakers instead. If it is a speaker mic I would get ahold of some greenbacks and pair them with your existing. I also have a thin sound and enjoy it, but the greenbacks complimented them. Also reverb sounds unnatural, consider abandoning reverb on your lead lines and switch to delays instead.

Archived