Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone SG Quilt Maple Top

240SX

I currently have a Epiphone SG with Quilt Maple Top. From what I've researched it is a limited run and has an Epiphone Custom Shop decal on the back of the headstock. The guitar is all original and sounds great. I've been interested in the new G-400 Pro and was wondering if there would be much difference between that and my current SG or am I better off sticking with what I have.

SGG-400_zpsaa983640.jpg

That is one beautiful SG, mate! [thumbup][wub] I think that I possibly would consider adding another one but not part with this awesome guitar. [-X

[biggrin]

To my experience, even if it's just a veneer, a top glued to a massive guitar back enhances response and adds overtones.

I currently have a Epiphone SG with Quilt Maple Top. From what I've researched it is a limited run and has an Epiphone Custom Shop decal on the back of the headstock. The guitar is all original and sounds great. I've been interested in the new G-400 Pro and was wondering if there would be much difference between that and my current SG or am I better off sticking with what I have.

SGG-400_zpsaa983640.jpg

Dam Root Beer Quilt top, actually it's kinda rare you might want to keep it. Nice Guitar! [wub]

ArGo [thumbup]

Okay, I'm a "how it plays" guy.

If you really like the way it plays, and since it is pretty and rather unique... I don't understand why one might think of swapping.

Some years ago my lady wife and I came to her agreement. Her point was that she was sick and tired of me griping continuously about swaps I'd made and guitars, amps and other sorts of items often swapped. Ergo, she said, it was a matter of if we needed a swap, we couldn't afford it.

Since then I've more than quadrupled my "herd," and not a swap.

I'll admit that she didn't have to bend my arm on that; and also that most of the "stuff" I'd be likely to swap were things she also understands and has in her own "herd" - although she only really has one bass and amp if she didn't use my bigger amps.

For what it's worth, that little pact that was more with myself even than with her (she made good sense), has brought me better instruments for less cost. And with a lot less griping a few years later when I realized I'd not really done myself any good.

So, unless you don't like the relatively rare SG you have, I'd say keep it. And if you do like it, why swap it for another that may or may not better suit what you're doing and have a neck as much to your liking?

m

Those were a limited run for Best Buy. You see them come up on ebay now and then and even see them pop up on the Best Buy web site on occasion when they find a few in a warehouse somewhere. It's a beautiful guitar and I'd keep it and save up if I had GAS for something else.

My current "oldest" guitar in terms of when I bought it is a Guild s100c - an SG clone of the early '70s that at the time was considered "better" than Gibson SG. At the time there were no nearby Gibson franchises (still aren't), so I got the Guild.

The SG "type" is IMHO the best solidbody design period. Some have complained they're neck-heavy. Never was a problem for me.

Mine has done solo fingerstyle jazz type gigs, and in bands country, rock and whatever... and just with just a few adjustments to the electrical stuff on it. And it always has worn 8-38s.

Epi has been producing some awfully nice electrics across the price spectrum. Yours is about as "pretty" as any of the family. The SG inherently is easy to do a setup on, and inherently resistant to humidity/temp concerns regardless that mine has plenty of finish spiderweb that's typical for what it's been through.

I think that if you're really into this sort of guitar, it can make good sense to have more than one of the type, but with different "feel" (each guitar is a bit different from others regardless) or pup/pot characteristics.

Enjoy...

m

Absolutely agreed on the SG type being my favorite solid body electric design! They always just felt right, and I also never had any problems with them being neck heavy. My oldest electric is a G-400 and my best overall guitar is a Gibson SG Standard. I'd definitely keep that quilt top!

I would never get rid of a guitar with such a beautiful maple cap on it.If the guitar plays well,has good action and holds its tuning,you could always opt for changing out the pickups to Epis own excellent Pro-Buckers,Gibson Burstbuckers,Bare Knuckles,Lollars or the fabulous Vineham Sweet V'59s.Don't sell,swap or throw out the pups that you remove because there will most likely come a time in the future when you say to yourself "She sounded pretty goog in the first place with these original pickups,I wish I had kept them."

I have always come to eventually regretting getting rid of every bit of gear that I ever sold or traded-so 32 guitars later,I don't for one minute regret keeping any of them.

It does look nice. Are you happy with the way it sounds? It seems like you're not completely sold on the guitar. If you are not you may be able get some money out of it and get a guitar that you really love.

I have a G-400 and i kept it and saved up money to get my Gibson. I'm glad I did because I still play it and it makes a great back up.

IMG_0906_zpsf07be558.jpg

That's an awful guitar and you should immediately get rid of it by selling it to me.

Awwww who am I kidding, that thing's gorgeous. I too could never part with it.

Well, you got in first Scott but I'll dibs second on it if I may.

Beautiful guitar. I'd never part with a guitar like that.

• 5 years later...