Gibson Brands Forums

Hitler Reacts to Gibson Guitar 29% Price increase for 2015

ponty

Quite funny...but is 29% increase really coming?

This video is quite hilarious..a must see!

The price increase of 15% to 29% wouldn't surprise me at all. I don't expect to be buying a Gibson anytime soon, if ever again. I bought my Hummingbird at a great GC discount because it was a reasonable price at the time. Gibson seems to be run by a mindless batch of dictators anyway. Martin and Taylor have more quality, but they still are far too experienced at raising prices like the Gestapo. There seems to be no comprehension of how to increase and improve quality at Gibson, yet there is a deep understanding of how to insult the customers by raising prices beyond reason. So the spoof on Hitler, and Gibson raising its prices AGAIN in this video, is really amusing, and pertinent for the 2015 model season.... When a Gibson Hummingbird could go from $3100 to $3565 plus taxes an shipping overnight if this happens...with all other models to follow.

Many have wondered why overseas guitar manufacturers continue to explode on the guitar market. One look at Gibson?Martin?Taylor and others,..IF they proceeds with this %15% price increase, and higher...should give us the answer.

Don't know if there really is an increase coming...but if you look at it from Gibson's perspective...why not? If they are selling everything they make they can increase the price. If they quit getting orders from their dealers and their warehouse fills up they will know they went too far.

It is too bad they are priced out of reach of many players. Better grab those J-15s and J-35s before its too late! You knew those deals where too good to be true, right?

This video is quite hilarious..a must see!

The price increase of 15% to 29% wouldn't surprise me at all. I don't expect to be buying a Gibson anytime soon, if ever again. I bought my Hummingbird at a great GC discount because it was a reasonable price at the time. Gibson seems to be run by a mindless batch of dictators anyway. Martin and Taylor have more quality, but they still are far too experienced at raising prices like the Gestapo. There seems to be no comprehension of how to increase and improve quality at Gibson, yet there is a deep understanding of how to insult the customers by raising prices beyond reason. So the spoof on Hitler, and Gibson raising its prices AGAIN in this video, is really amusing, and pertinent for the 2015 model season.... When a Gibson Hummingbird could go from $3100 to $3565 plus taxes an shipping overnight if this happens...with all other models to follow.

Many have wondered why overseas guitar manufacturers continue to explode on the guitar market. One look at Gibson?Martin?Taylor and others,..IF they proceeds with this %15% price increase, and higher...should give us the answer.

GL, you seem to have a genuine dislike for the people that built the Gibson you acquired a couple of years ago. It seems the only times you contribute here, your comments are to trash the business. The business of producing Gibson acoustics. So, I'm confused. Some of us have a 'love hate' relationship with different things. Our coffee makers. Our employers. But I'm not sure I could ever hate the people that run the business that produced my guitars. Care to elaborate?

For those of you who will not be buying gibsons because of the price increase Epiphone just came out with a 1963 J 45 in various colors.

If the price increase allows them to make even higher quality guitars I will buy one or two if I can.

I have been lucky enough to get great quality gibsons and I will continue to buy from them if they can keep the quality and craftsmanship I have been able to see , feel & hear in their guitars

JC

GL, you seem to have a genuine dislike for the people that built the Gibson you acquired a couple of years ago. It seems the only times you contribute here, your comments are to trash the business. The business of producing Gibson acoustics. So, I'm confused. Some of us have a 'love hate' relationship with different things. Our coffee makers. Our employers. But I'm not sure I could ever hate the people that run the business that produced my guitars. Care to elaborate?

I agree with 40years ...why do you insist of trashing the Montana Acoustic Division ?

JC

I don't hate Gibson, I do disagree with price increases of 15% or more if they occur.

You might remember here, that I did not post the video on price increases, someone else did....I simply commented on it. Or is that not permitted either? Of course I would not be happy with price increases. Would you? Why is that trashing? Perhaps you might care to elaborate why you trash everyone who does not give a glowing report of Gibson that you would like to hear....because accusing me of trashing....in reality is just YOU blatantly trashing Me. Do you condone such hefty increases in prices? Perhaps you do. It seems like everyone in here can only give the positive reports on Gibson, but if someone comments negatively when that report is truthful, the person is trashed, flamed, labeled troll, and trouble maker. Sickening really. As for poor quality issues at Gibson, it is the talk of the internet and numerous people in here, ...many who complain of quality issues are right here in this room. ...that is not of my making.

I agree with 40years ...why do you insist of trashing the Montana Acoustic Division ?

Read my response to fortyearspickn. It applies to you. Praise anyone who bubbles accolades to Gibson...hate and trash them if their view don't suit you. You must both work for Gibson.

JC

No that's not what bugs me. I can understand that you dislike gibson acoustics but you talk about them with disdain and hatred almost.

I understand if you like Taylor and Martin over Gibson but I don't understand why you think what applies to the way gibson is managed in general is true for gibson montana ... I respect you as a person and as a forum member .

And if I ever saw something wrong or not up to what I think gibson standards should be I would also let this be known.

I believe in constructive criticism not just criticism for the sake of criticism.

JC

No that's not what bugs me. I can understand that you dislike gibson acoustics but you talk about them with disdain and hatred almost.

I understand if you like Taylor and Martin over Gibson but I don't understand why you think what applies to the way gibson is managed in general is true for gibson montana ... I respect you as a person and as a forum member .

And if I ever saw something wrong or not up to what I think gibson standards should be I would also let this be known.

I believe in constructive criticism not just criticism for the sake of criticism.

.............Juan, and other concerned members as well, I do not dislike Gibson, or I would not own a Hummingbird and as well as two Masterbilts, and various Epiphones. I have owned three previous Gibsons in the past as well so the present Gibson Hummingbird which makes 4 Gibsons owned, or previously owned.

. I do not prefer Taylor or Martin over Gibson...I have no idea where you got that idea from....I have owned many Martins and many Taylors...the high end models....ALL OF THEM are gone now...Sold off. Why? Because I prefer the Gibson/Masterbilt/Epiphone sound and tone. I have stated this in the past. ...That I loved Gibson...but no one in here wants to hear that unless I praise Gibson to high heaven even if they are at fault...and to do THAT, for me, is a severe dis-service to Gibson itself. They need to know when customers are unhappy, and they WANT to know that...and not just hear endless praises and accolades and worship. Nothing ruins a company faster than hearing no constructive criticism. Believe it or not, even negative criticisms are often heard and quietly acted upon behind the scenes, by many leading companies.

I am well aware that I am hated in this room, because I do not follow the herd. I do not follow the herd, because I want Gibson to survive. My viewing the farcical video which the OP posted, and commenting negatively on price increases does not constitute Gibson trashing ....it does not constitute hatred and disdain as you put it. You are a Gibson fan, discussing anything negative about them repulses you. I am a Gibson fan also....and sometimes discussing negative qualities brings light to the area in need fixing, including pricing and quality issues. Sometimes..not always. But would you rather have Gibson NOT hear of their quality issues and never have them fixed? I think not. You are just like me in that sense. You love and respect Gibson. So do I. You don't believe me do you?...it's all right.

Gibsons quality has certainly improved a lot since the 70's and 80's. And for this Gibson is to be highly commended. The complaints they heard from people of that era, nasty complaints, and angry complaints, did not fall on deaf ears, Gibson worked to fix things because there WERE complaints. They listened.

I have made good and glowing comments in the past in here, as well as in other forums, particularly about my own Gibson Hummingbird...but that will never due in here. I know that falls on deaf ears in here. Because any criticism of Gibson...even in jest, and in joking is not condoned. People don't know how to laugh in here. The fun factor in learning is gone. And the hush of deadly seriousness pervades for the most part.

The OP's posted Hitler video is CLEARLY a light hearted, laughable comedic video comment on Gibson pricing, almost like a crazy and nuts Saturday Night Live skit!....it is not Gibson hatred. But nothing is taken light hearted in here unless it endorses praise and worship it seems.

Once again, although it seems useless to repeat it, I do not own any Martins, or Taylors, or Guilds, or anything else. ( I do own one RainSong Graphite.) My preferences are as mentioned above.

I know you mean well, and that you all love Gibson, and I appreciate that. My criticisms may be harsh at times, I agree with you on that, perhaps too harsh. I will try to do some re-thinking of these issues. But it is my love of Gibsons that drives my criticisms, in hopes of making them better.

JC

GL,

Hey apologies if I made you feel hated in anyway.

These are just guitars we are talking about and I care about any and all forum members before any of my or other guitar.

I hope you can forgive me if I was rude or out of line.

.........No apology needed at all Juan! You are a great person and I love reading your threads and answers! I respect you. You have conscience and values. And looking at the videos you put in also, they are always fun and enlightening and educational!...thank you!. You love your Gibsons with a passion! We all do!... I apologize to you...I'll try to be a little more sensitive in here, as I love all the members too. ....haha they just don't know it! lol!...GL

JC

At some point within the last couple of years, I saw this same video used with different captions.

Can't recall what the topic was then, but it worked just as well.

Re price increases, Gibson is all about making money.

If products don't sell, adjustments will follow.

We'll see how it plays out.

Whenever you raise prices, there is a fall-off in demand for that particularly product, unless there are no practical alternatives. The question is whether the higher prices will make up for the loss of demand.

Generally, the more prices go up, the more alternatives come into play. Instead of just buying a Gibson, a rational consumer will say, "let's see what else I can get for this kind of money." Or maybe they'll give up on Gibson and buy more Epiphones, which could be a good thing for Gibson. Or maybe you'll buy a Martin or a Taylor, which would be a bad thing for Gibson.

Always a risky move unless your competition is doing the same thing at the same time. And no, you can't collude on prices if you control a significant portion of a market.

This is all pretty basic stuff, but it is hard to model without fairly extensive research. People are free to raise prices all they want. And in this case, customers are free to take their business elsewhere. Nobody has a monopoly on quality guitars these days.

I think various parodies / reworkings of that Downfall scene now have something of a cult following on the Youtube. It's actually a brilliant, if heavy going film, but somehow the takeoffs never cease to be funny.

As far as I understand it, aren't the forcasts of 29% increases based on Nashville product, where we have the delights of Gforce tuners and adjustable zero frets on every model to cover the cost of? I'm still hoping we won't see the same thing (features or stratospheric price hike) applied to Bozeman or Memphis product.

To everyone concerned .

I just got off the phone with Jeremy Fuller and he said that this increase only applies to Gibson USA not the nashville facility nor bozeman facility .

JC

That would make sense, given that Gibson USA builds a Les Paul for every price point on the face of the earth. The LP franchise must be a license to print money. Or at least it should be.

I love the look and sound of Gibson LP's…but they are so damned heavy!!! I think both my Fender's are under 6 lbs., the LP I had was 10 lbs!!! Too much for my neck….I think WEIGHT is the problem with LP's, not price….lol

I'm with you on this one. I had a nice 68 ri custom that weighed 10.6. I sold it and bought a weight relieved standard. A lot nicer.

I just got off the phone with Jeremy Fuller and he said that this increase only applies to Gibson USA not the nashville facility nor bozeman facility.

Juan, Nashville is the Gibson USA facility.

Sounds like Bozeman and Memphis are immune for now.

Memphis is putting out some great guitars these days,

while Nashville seems lost in the G-Force vortex!

Archived