Gibson Brands Forums

NGD 2014 SG Standard

TimBurke

NGD!

I just couldn't resist this beautiful 2014 SG Standard. It's my 1st SG and a stablemate for my 2001 Les Paul 1960 Classic.

Am amazed at how light it is, the beautiful sustain and the ease at which the MinEtune system handles changes in tunings. It is quickly becoming my go to guitar.

The neck feels so good and natural that I am scared that I won't be able to stop at just one SG. I had looked at 14 other SG's prior to this one but had been beaten to the punch by a more eager buyer each time. The value for money is outstanding.

Here are my two Gibsons.

BDA27F88-6D44-461A-A994-E31BDD2B811D_zps72a4qcze.jpg

Congrats on your nice SG, HNGD to you, glad you're fine with her! [thumbup] Glad to hear some good news on the MinE-Tune system, too. [biggrin]

Yes, I can confirm that SGs are rather light and well playable. There's a certain risk of becoming an SG addict... :rolleyes:

;)

Nice guitars & HNGD to you!!!

So they both came with California Girl cases? Didn't know that was the standard case for an SG for 2014.

Enjoy them they're beauties.

Aster

I think that all the 2014 hard cases were brown with pink lining.

The SG case differs to the Les Paul one in a few ways.

It doesn't have a combo lock latch or a shroud top cover but does have a hole to put a padlock through.

Yes I am one of the seemingly rare few who is happy with MinEtune as I use a number of different tunings and it's ease of use suits me perfectly

Thanks for the kind words and yes I am turned to the SG side. I love it!

Congrats on your nice SG, HNGD to you, glad you're fine with her! [thumbup] Glad to hear some good news on the MinE-Tune system, too. [biggrin]

Yes, I can confirm that SGs are rather light and well playable. There's a certain risk of becoming an SG addict... :rolleyes:

;)

Tim, I have to agree with capmaster here. They are indeed lighter than a Les Paul (one of the reasons I went to an SG in 2011), but they have great

sustain for a light guitar and are very easy to get around on. I'm sure if I had some "spare" cash lying around I'd get me another one. Maybe one

with the MineE-tune system, just so I could fool around with slide guitar in altered tunings. However, I'm not sure what all those different adjustments

would do to a neck after a while. Has anyone out there had any long time experience with those auto-tuners that can answer this?

Are the 2014 SG's suppose to have a black case or a brown case. Also, How do you tell the diff between a 2014 Standard "61" SG reissue, and a 2014 Standard SG? I just bought what I was told is a 2014 Standard SG "61" reissue. I thought the case should be brown if it's a re-issue. The salesmen comes out with a black Gibson case with white lining. The SG looks like a Standard. I bought it because it played and sounded great and it did not have the Min Tune robot tuners.

NGD!

I just couldn't resist this beautiful 2014 SG Standard. It's my 1st SG and a stablemate for my 2001 Les Paul 1960 Classic.

Am amazed at how light it is, the beautiful sustain and the ease at which the MinEtune system handles changes in tunings. It is quickly becoming my go to guitar.

The neck feels so good and natural that I am scared that I won't be able to stop at just one SG. I had looked at 14 other SG's prior to this one but had been beaten to the punch by a more eager buyer each time. The value for money is outstanding.

Here are my two Gibsons.

BDA27F88-6D44-461A-A994-E31BDD2B811D_zps72a4qcze.jpg

Nice Axe!!!

Are the 2014 SG's suppose to have a black case or a brown case. Also, How do you tell the diff between a 2014 Standard "61" SG reissue, and a 2014 Standard SG? I just bought what I was told is a 2014 Standard SG "61" reissue. I thought the case should be brown if it's a re-issue. The salesmen comes out with a black Gibson case with white lining. The SG looks like a Standard. I bought it because it played and sounded great and it did not have the Min Tune robot tuners.

Most of the 2014 Gibsons, including the 2014 SG Standard came with the brown/pink case. The 2014 SG Standard has the MinEtune, 120th anniversary inlay at the 12th fret.

The "2014 Gibson SG Standard '61" is a special run model done for Guitar Center. It is not part of the main production line (you won't find it on Gibson's website). And it is not a normal "reissue" in that it doesn't really have the original specs. For example, it has coil tapping and different finishes than the true '61 models. This was just a limited run for GC, but they called it '61 because it has the small guard and resembles the early SG models. This model includes a black/white case. It does not have MinEtune or the 12th fret inlay.

Here's the GC link for it: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-SG-Standard--61-with-Coil-Split-Electric-Guitar-109568717-i3318299.gc

To sum up: you go the correct case.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived