Gibson Brands Forums

What Songs Are We Learning?

zigzag

I like the playlists thread because it kinda tells us what our interests are as gigging musicians. Since a lot of us don't gig, but play more than just intros or songs that other people will pay money to hear, I'm curious to know what songs we're learning because they are songs we want to learn for ourselves.

I'm currently working on two: 'Cause We've Ended as Lovers- Jeff Beck and Midnight Blue- Kenny Burrell

Just starting a new pub rock trio to play originals, so currently learning: Song 1, Song 2, Song 3, Song4, Song 5, Song 6 and writing Song 7 and Song 8.

hmm... will be good when we start putting some lyrics together for these. [mellow]

Covers band now working on songs by Free, Zeppelin, Divynls, Janis, J.Airplane, Stranglers.

no rest for the wicked.

I like the playlists thread because it kinda tells us what our interests are as gigging musicians. Since a lot of us don't gig, but play more than just intros or songs that other people will pay money to hear, I'm curious to know what songs we're learning because they are songs we want to learn for ourselves.

I'm currently working on two: Because We've Ended as Lovers- Jeff Beck and Midnight Blue- Kenny Burrell

Great tunes to learn Zigzag. I remember learning Scatterbrain from Blow By Blow years ago and feeling a great sense of achievement in doing so. I love that record and Kenny Burrell records too [thumbup]

...I'm currently working on ...: Because We've Ended as Lovers...

Hello Zigzag!

This is what I have been trying to learn for long, but couldn`t. The thing is, - I realized - I can only learn a song, if I understand what is happening there. If I don`t get the musical theory behind a song, I am only suffering with it.

Recently, I was trying to learn "Still of the night" and "Is this love?" from Whitesnake. The theory behind them is very simple - no tricks, no surprises.

I have also been practicing with the Zoom R24 recorder. By far not mastering it, however I've recorded the guitar tracks of the latter song over a backing track I stole from net.

Please don't say, I know how bad it is. :D

https://soundcloud.com/btoth76/mastr000wav

Cheers... Bence

Ok, these are a few of the songs we are learning now:

Dream a Little Dream for Me

California Dreaming

Misty

Breezing

No Me Voy Sin Bailar

Mas que Nada

A bit unconventional I know and not songs I ever thought of playing but they're forcing me to learn new grooves and chords I don't usually play.

Just went through Gary Moore's Still Got The Blues. This is one of the few tunes that I did not learn note for note (doing my own thing at the end for the most part). I'll try to record me playing over his and post it here.

I may learn most of a song note for note, but rarely do I play it that way, especially the solo section. Of course there are exceptions, but I love to improvise, so what I like to do is take the strong melodies from a tune, play through them like a head, then improvise through them, then end on the main melody. I still consider myself an intermediate player, so I'm still improving my improvisational skills. 'Cause We've Ended as Lovers is primarily Jeff Beck just milking two melodic themes. If I learn it note for note, it will take me six months (I did a Remark You Made by Joe Zawinul and that took me over a year) to learn the Beck song note for note, and it is hard for me to practice it without taking off on my own. It would take less time if I wasn't transcribing myself.

New to me - Reelin in the Years - Steely

Re-learning every single time I play a gig - Roxanne - Police, Josie-Steely Dan, Change the World-Eric C (if we do an acoustic set).

Funny. I've been re-learning "Reelin In The Years" too. [thumbup] As Steely Dan songs go, it's one of the more simple chord progressions.

Hello Zigzag!

This is what I have been trying to learn for long, but couldn`t. The thing is, - I realized - I can only learn a song, if I understand what is happening there. If I don`t get the musical theory behind a song, I am only suffering with it.

Yeah, That's the reason why guitarists who learn from tabs and stuff like GuitarPro usually suck [thumbdn] . If you don't understand what's going on there that's because you're not ready for that song yet. [wink]

Archived