Gibson Brands Forums

NGD!

BluesKing777

Nah, I think it's just cinder block, the cashmere of rockery.

Another beautiful guitar Burger King 777 and sound clip. Need more of your amazing photos however.

FMA

There you go Mister Full - photos loaded....

I hope the Burger King 777 reference above is a spellchecker error - I would go a full BurgerKing right now, but haven't had anything like it since the tuning machines in my gallbladder gave out 9 or 10 years ago....though I often dream of a MacD/BurgerKing/all of the above.....

BluesKing777.

BK, you seem to be a bit infatuated here. Your L-O is going to get jealous, and there is nothing worse than a jealous guitar. You may find that the OM-28 meets with a little accident.....

Yes, they are held in different pens........

A cat scratch fight would be good, but I will have to take both guitars to a friend's house for a battle!

The L-0 is queen for the blues. just don't worry about that, and I was playing it really late last night, just perfect - the OM28 is a bit new still for blues.... but the L-0 still needs a fine tune after the repairs, I think and hope it is included in the previous set up cost, because then I will take it down there for the work this week while I break in this pup!

BluesKing777.

BK, I can't find the OM-28 Marquis listed on the Martin website. What's the back story here?

It is a discontinued model to make way for......rumoured only...OM28 Authentic.

If you want the specs, type in om28 Marquis in Google and the Martin site appears at the top with 'inactive models'.

One reason I grabbed it - Martin seem to be ditching my beloved V necks and wide bridge spacings for the skinnies......sound familiar, eh.....Gibson in the 60s!

The sisters pictured above would be more like you Legend than you EC, space wise.

BluesKing777.

The sisters pictured above would be more like you Legend than you EC, space wise.

BluesKing777.

Differences are subtle, but real. Legend has a more pronounced V-neck than the EC "modified" V, and Legend pin spacing is about 1.5 mm wider, even though both are 1.75" (44.5mm)at the nut. The string spacing at the nut is actually wider on the EC: strings are closer to the edge of the board. Martin board radius is flatter, which I don't care for. Biggest playing difference is the frets, probably.

I don't actually like the set-up on my EC. Ross Teigen set up the Legend for me (and my old J-45, and my SJ, and my ES 335-12), but for some reason I didn't have him set up the EC, and that was a mistake. I'm not an aggressive player, even when I flat-pick, so I can set the neck with almost no relief. I'm also using hex core PB strings on the EC, and round core PB on the Legend, which really is a big difference.

For whatever reason, I find the EC harder to play, so it stays in the case too much. The EC has a wonderful tone, if only I could tame the playing characteristics a bit.

I pulled those two out tonight to do some comparisons, since you raised the question. For some reason, The EC is a strange beast in my hands, while the Legend is the most "comfortable" guitar I own.

Maybe I was just meant to be a Gibson guy, as much as I try to be open-minded.

I have always liked to have different sounds, within the narrow Gibson, Martin, National spectrum..... [mellow]

Last century, I played an EC at the shop that was unforgettable but our xchange rate was more awful than now and they were selling for $AU7,800!!!! (It was great, but not that great....). Even now, everything has increased here - add 55%!!! To the guitar cost.

So maybe take the EC to Ross T, setup, bone saddle, bone pins and my secret ingredient on my Martins.......Gibson MB strings!

So what do you think of the EC bridge spacing compared to your J shapes? My OMs are 2 3/8", which gets some howling complaints, but just made for me! The EC is 2 1/8" I believe, but so would your J45?

BluesKing777.

Oooohh yea, sounds really good. And quite an elegant version of the corny vintage Abbey Road tune - I see where you're goin.

This Old Guitar in the cans as I write - time to open a beer. .

Have to say there is a certain similarity between the Mart and Gibbie (the G a little sweeter ?) - possibly due to your touch.

Martin 000-45, possibly given to him by Stephen Stills...rumoured....

Oh, one of the models he muuuch later had made as a Mart. signature.

I'm trying to get into those, but seem a bit lost. A 000-28 and 2 000-45's, , , was there a 42 also. .

Oh, one of the models he muuuch later had made as a Mart. signature.

I'm trying to get into those, but seem a bit lost. A 000-28 and 2 000-45's, , , was there a 42 also. .

(I think) The 42 is the famous one where they forgot their plugs, but may have started life as a 28, broken and converted with some mulloscs...

BluesKing777.

So what do you think of the EC bridge spacing compared to your J shapes? My OMs are 2 3/8", which gets some howling complaints, but just made for me! The EC is 2 1/8" I believe, but so would your J45?

BluesKing777.

OK, BK, just for you.

pin spacing (string spacing) at the bridge for my four primary flat tops. I don't have a "stock" modern Gibson for reference. Both of my modern Gibsons are non-standard.

1948-'50 J-45: 2 1/8" (54 mm)

Fuller's 1942 SJ re-issue (Luthier's Choice neck): 2 3/16" (55.6 mm)

Martin 000-28 EC (Marquis): 2 1/4" (57.2 mm)

L-OO Legend (1937 L-OO): 2 3/8" (60.3 mm)

For finger-picking, the Legend is the most comfortable to me, but you can pretty easily adapt to any of them, with a bit of an adjustment period. For flat-picking (not necessarily strumming), I find little difference between any of them, after a few minutes of adjustment. If anything, the Legend spacing almost seems a bit wide for flat-picking.

Curious as to what the standard bridge pin spacing is on the "stock" Martin 1 11/16" (42.9 mm) nut models.

OK, BK, just for you.

pin spacing (string spacing) at the bridge for my four primary flat tops. I don't have a "stock" modern Gibson for reference. Both of my modern Gibsons are non-standard.

1948-'50 J-45: 2 1/8" (54 mm)

Fuller's 1942 SJ re-issue (Luthier's Choice neck): 2 3/16" (55.6 mm)

Martin 000-28 EC (Marquis): 2 1/4" (57.2 mm)

L-OO Legend (1937 L-OO): 2 3/8" (60.3 mm)

For finger-picking, the Legend is the most comfortable to me, but you can pretty easily adapt to any of them, with a bit of an adjustment period. For flat-picking (not necessarily strumming), I find little difference between any of them, after a few minutes of adjustment. If anything, the Legend spacing almost seems a bit wide for flat-picking.

Curious as to what the standard bridge pin spacing is on the "stock" Martin 1 11/16" (42.9 mm) nut models.

Very interesting, Nick!

I think the standard on Ms would be 2 1/8"?

How did anyone arrive at these amounts in the beginning - lots of testing and sore fingers?

BluesKing777.

OM281b_zpseec1655a.jpg

I noticed the Adi top reflects light quite strangely in some of the photos - the light was to the right and the guitar looks like it is dark on one side of the top... it is more like the one above in real life!

The guitar is opening out nicely by plenty of play - some say the new guitars are like breaking in a horse - I have no experience in this, but a bit in dog training!

I just recorded 2 instrumentals to show the guitar without big mouth in the way....one quietish tune and one rowdier blues instrumental....

https://soundcloud.com/bluesking777/instrumental-777a

https://soundcloud.com/bluesking777/instru-blues-222

BluesKing777.

Love that guitar! OM size has become my preferred player. I have just added (or will have when it arrives) an OM Custom (Sitka/EIR) as a companion to my OM 18GE. I hope you get a great deal of enjoyment out of that beauty...

Ha!

More sisters like mine!

(There was a backhand rumour started by factory visitors that the OM28 Authentic could be a January announcement - the visitors saw an original OM28 in the Custom shop......

BluesKing777.

A strange thing happened with the Hound a year or so back....he use to totally ignore the ghastly guitar business and everything it included (a bit like someone else really), but then one day I let him sniff the guitar I just got back from the guitar tech and now he checks them all out if I drag them to the living room or as the photos show, outside....where there is a fuss to get out the door first now and he wants his photo taken.

With the new OM, I can smell...yep...coconuts!

When I let the dog sniff it, I swear his eyes rolled!

Sisters1-hound_zps23ee58d6.jpg

BluesKing777.

Hahe he, , , let the good fun continue. .

Thanks Em7, I am having lots of fun!!!!!

Not to let the fun go overboard, I sent the 'sisters' photo to my brother after speaking to him on the phone - he lives thousands of miles away and this is his reply...unbelievable....just unbelievable :

"Sorry …. But they look like guitars to me … no doubt the quality is in the sound."

Well, what am I going to do with this little business manager brother?

BluesKing777.

Not much happening around the place, so...Some say "More Photos", others say "Take that rotten camera off him!"......that's forums....

What started the rot with the OM28 Marquis is a little story back a way.... I was at the music shop full of acoustic delights trying...well, all of them, but the salesman handed me the used (2006)HD28v and it really was the best sounding guitar in the shop that day! I always wanted an OM28, but not interested in another dread, but it was still for sale a few months later ( it has bad buckle rash and scratches on the front and obviously been played live, I thought...), but it ate away at me and my wallet and I zoomed in to the shop and bought it. The 'possible' cash price they said on the phone was not right and the owner wouldn't budge - I had the guitar in my hot little hands and....you know, the oldest trick in the book....had to have it....

So after playing this great guitar for a few months, I saw the OM28 Marquis for sale and had read a bit about them and had seen a couple of Music Villa demos and others. Take it!

Apart from the sound, I love the Herringbone trim, which for those that don't know, has quite a history if you want to look it up....

So, the OM28 with the big sister, HD28v:

BigSister-1_zps6ce57836.jpg

BigSister-4_zps51433c02.jpg

Very hard to get the glossy backs, but:

BigSister-3_zpsbb564ebd.jpg

BluesKing777.

Archived