Gibson Brands Forums

NGD!

BluesKing777

Congrats!

Nicely photogg'ed as always. And this is just an interim pic?

Careful, all, it's the OM bug, & it is contagious!

Had the OM bug for a while now!

Just hope we don't get the vintage OM bug!

I made a mistake in the announcement - the guitar is new to me, but it is a few years old, and is a discontinued model. But I can see not one sign of anyone having played it...zip. I don't know the story, could be anything, but a bit strange...probably a gift to someone that didn't play at all...not even a fingernail mark on the P/G...untouched....I was thinking someone would have broken in the Adi top a bit for me, but.... It was 'used', not old new stock??? I think Uncle Bob heard that little Jimmy played guitar and bought it for his grad present, but Jimmy may have wanted a.......Strat!

BluesKing777.

Yes, it is on the concrete leaning on the post!

It needs a scratch or two and a dent, it is absolutely perfect for a PERFECT guitar and a bit inhuman and there are catty rumblings from my other girls.......scratch, scratch!

I had a quick play for lunch, but I have to keep peddling my work computer as the other guy that does the same as me has taken the day off. My plan was.....Oh well, more money for scratch repairs.

Hook up to the Tonerite, you say? It sure does need some hard playing, even a whipping, sure sounds new.

AND some saddle filing!

BluesKing777.

EDIT:

No sounds from me for a while - need to run it in and string it...meanwhile...

Tony P and Matt from MV and Eddies talked me into it, but I would have bought it quicker from a balding old guy....

Thanks for the replies - I realize it is a Gibson forum, but I do have 1 or 2 of those too....

No affiliation, but I just have to mention the guitar came from Elderly's, and from the minute I hit the 'Buy' button to the minute it arrived here, they are right on top of everything. The guitar is packed professionally in the correct box with nicely designed supports for the guitar in its case, after being nicely set up to play, clean, new strings and whatever adjustments are needed. All Customs paperwork sent with it and to Fedex as well. Fedex use an air conditioned hold these days, so fairly nice to the guitars. They (Elderly's) detuned the guitar for travel, but really, if they hadn't, it would still have been in tune, I think. All arrived in perfect condition! It is Thursday morning here as I write, the guitar arrived Tuesday morning and I only ordered the guitar LAST Wednesday evening!!!! Amazing stuff!!!!! There were the normal breathtaking, scary moments when it went to Customs here and the paperwork was lost....but that is another story!

So, there are a couple of points above for people interested in buying online...it may cost a bit more at first, but....

BluesKing777.

Hmmmmm...... I see a common thread in the demo videos. We've got two young guys with long, full heads of hair and long, full beards.

Is ol' BK having himself a midlife crisis?

Seriously, it's a gorgeous guitar. Closest thing I have is a 000-28 EC, and it ain't bad. A perfect-size guitar for almost everything.

Hmmmmm...... I see a common thread in the demo videos. We've got two young guys with long, full heads of hair and long, full beards.

Is ol' BK having himself a midlife crisis?

Seriously, it's a gorgeous guitar. Closest thing I have is a 000-28 EC, and it ain't bad. A perfect-size guitar for almost everything.

Thanks Nick.

Probably more chance of growing the hair in my ears that long these days...though I did have my share in my teens. [biggrin]

"And the sign said...."

Midlife Crises - as a guitarist, I think we have those early in life, like at 15 years old or so after the so called first ever band rehearsal with amps at the local yacht club on a Saturday afternoon that turned out to be a trick to get a band for their function (Why and why, who knows?), and let me tell you we we played, but were awful and that awful was amplified.... Rethink of life in general on the way home.... etc

BluesKing777.

I feel like the cat that got the cream playing the OM28 Mq with my Elliot Capo!!!! Don't tell my hound I said that.

See it through the grapevine.

Such a well balanced little-big acoustic guitar to look at. I have to check some Tube-clips to gather the sound.

And talking 'bout balance, as some already stated : Are you crrrrazi placing the baby like that.

I put my Bird in a hollow tree for a few photos when I got it, , , but this is hazardous. .

Enjoy every string'n'strum - eventually play us some.

See it through the grapevine.[/size

Ha Ha!

That's where I hear everything!

A very beautiful guitar that has been researched on the Internet possibly more than Newt's Theory'. I have really enjoyed playing my OM18v with the 1 3/4" nut and bridge spacing 2 3/8" on the V neck that a lot of people either love/hate - this is similar, but with Rose/Adi. Not for everyone with that neck. There are rumours of an Authentic OM28 in 2015, but that will probably be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy over my pay grade .

BluesKing777.

I have been mucking about with this ditty for a bit trying to get a solo acoustic/vocal version happening!

First cab off the rank recording my Martin OM28 Marquis - my solo acoustic/vocal version of The Beatles" "Maxwell's Silver Hammer". [mellow]

(Probably not the lush acoustic instrumental I imagined I would do first with the guitar, but..... [mellow] )

https://soundcloud.com/bluesking777/hammer777c

BluesKing777.

Ha! Sounds like you're having fun with it. Enjoyed the "sound effects", too. That guitar has a nice balanced sound to it, but would need to hear it in the flesh (in the cellulose?) next to some G-type guitar to really contrast. Would be interested to hear your initial observations next to the Gibsons. Thanks for putting that up.

Thanks for those replies!

I was just about to reply about F# to B in the turnaround comment, but it has disappeared - I must have dreamed it (guilty dream), 62B!

Correct as charged though - I played the tune off the top of my head and was real pleased to get all the lyrics correct [biggrin] . On the original, they do the beautiful lush harmonies with reverb/echo and something else, Chorus before it was invented - over the F# - B turnaround and it sounded a bit silly with just me going 'Sil-ver Ham-mer' on my own - couldn't pick which one to do really - so I did a ragtimey run instead! I tried to give the tune a jaunty Broadway piano feel like Mr Paul Mc likes.....

The only similarity with this Martin to the Gibsons I have, is that they have 6 strings! I love my Gibson growls, but I have done quite a lot of sitting on the couch watching John Miller from SGGW play his custom OM28H and really liked the sound.....

BluesKing777.

Archived