Gibson Brands Forums

Clear Coat Problem

I have a Gibson LP Studio. I just bought the guitar and I have noticed a defect in the clear coat. The problem area is the top of the guitar where the body meets the neck. The flame top has small clear coat gaps in it around the neck at the seam. The neck seam I am talking about is the one directly below the 3 way switch. I can only see them up close but it still bugs me. Has anyone else had this problem and is there any way to fix or repair it without re-clearing the whole guitar?

Thanks

Let me guess - it's a rippled surface looking partly dull. In this case, congrats, everything is fine. All of my Gibson guitars and basses have set necks, and all of them show this. It is part of the fun so to say.

There are two reasons for that.

First, when pressing together the parts to be glued, some adhesive will be squeezed out at the joints. Nobody is able to remove all of it from an interior angle. When dried, it works as a sealer, so the wood will soak much less finish in these areas. This is the reason for a certain ripple.

Second, buffing out the ripple is next to impossible in interior angles. The artisans working on it will try to achieve a surface as even and glossy as possible but not mar the finish.

Outer angles or aligned surfaces are much easier to handle. Looking at the joints around the cutaway will usually enlighten this context.

There have been complaints about this problem appearing along the top side of the body wing joints to Firebird through necks. Admittedly, it is much more obvious there.

As for me, I'm fine when viewing that there has been enough glue for filling all the gaps. A pal of mine owns a Les Paul with the light shining through between body and neck heel. No problems so far, but honestly, I prefer protruding glue.

Hope this helps.

I can only see them up close but it still bugs me.

Is this new, or second hand?

Either way I think our buddy Cap is probably right on the money

it sounds like you're just wrapped around a pure cosmetic issue.

There's no way to know of course, without a photo to see. the rule here is - without pictures, it didn't happen!

I would just check the neck joint at every seam and make sure it looks "tight" on the other surfaces

take a sheet if printer paper and make sure you can't penetrate the seam with a corner of the paper

(btw:in case you are not in the know.. to post pics. get a photo bucket account, upload it there, and when you VIEW the picture, click on the IMG link in the little window of links on the right. That puts the proper url in the copy/past buffer,, now, open up a post, and paste that link in the forum) ifyou go to Forum Rules, you will see a post that explains in more painstaking detail.)

Let me guess - it's a rippled surface looking partly dull. In this case, congrats, everything is fine. All of my Gibson guitars and basses have set necks, and all of them show this. It is part of the fun so to say.

There are two reasons for that.

First, when pressing together the parts to be glued, some adhesive will be squeezed out at the joints. Nobody is able to remove all of it from an interior angle. When dried, it works as a sealer, so the wood will soak much less finish in these areas. This is the reason for a certain ripple.

Second, buffing out the ripple is next to impossible in interior angles. The artisans working on it will try to achieve a surface as even and glossy as possible but not mar the finish.

Outer angles or aligned surfaces are much easier to handle. Looking at the joints around the cutaway will usually enlighten this context.

There have been complaints about this problem appearing along the top side of the body wing joints to Firebird through necks. Admittedly, it is much more obvious there.

As for me, I'm fine when viewing that there has been enough glue for filling all the gaps. A pal of mine owns a Les Paul with the light shining through between body and neck heel. No problems so far, but honestly, I prefer protruding glue.

Hope this helps.

GibsonNeckJoint_zpscb2acef3.jpg

This is what it looks like.

:( Sorry, BV, those bubbles and grooves indeed look odd to me. It can be assumed as a cosmetic thing only, but honestly, I wouldn't like it. In this case I would try to get a replacement.

Problem is that I have purchased 2 Gibsons before this one and took both of them back. I said I would never buy another Gibson but I saw this one hanging up in the store and just had to have it. I played it in the store unplugged. No fret buzz and the action was great. I couldn't believe I finally found a Gibson like this. I looked for flaws but I didn't see this at the neck until I got it home. If I take it back and swap it out, the next one may not be as good as this one.

Problem is that I have purchased 2 Gibsons before this one and took both of them back. I said I would never buy another Gibson but I saw this one hanging up in the store and just had to have it. I played it in the store unplugged. No fret buzz and the action was great. I couldn't believe I finally found a Gibson like this. I looked for flaws but I didn't see this at the neck until I got it home. If I take it back and swap it out, the next one may not be as good as this one.

The biggest advantage of nitro finishes is that next to everything can be repaired by touching up. In case the guitar is otherwise fine, I would consider that, despite of having to have this done at your own charge. Should not cost that much though.

Hmm yea I see.. Just looks like some sloppy finish work, and seems 100% cosmetic.

while it's not "pretty" it would not be enough of an issue to part ways with it if it played/sounded great. for me anyway/

with normal wear and tear from playing, after time, this would become even more insignificant.

btw,, my 95 les paul (which is my GO TO axe) has a smaller sort of similar area right in the general area where yours is.

it's never made a bit of difference to me.

GibsonNeckJoint_zpscb2acef3.jpg

This is what it looks like.

The frets look to be "dressed nicely". If ,as you say, you really like everything else about the guitar.....I would keep it. As previously mentioned, it looks to be purely cosmetic and could be addressed by a competent luthier at some point. Wait until you have but some dings and scratches on it and then get them all taken care of at the same time.....

Archived