Gibson Brands Forums

Ever buy a specific guitar just to have it be a beater?

NHTom

Just wondering if anyone out there has ever gone out and bought a specific guitar knowing in advance that it was going to be a bit of a beater?

I'm talking knowing full and well that it will get stickers on it, pups swapped at random, the one left on a stand and not caring about nitro damage, will probably never see a polish cloth or anything like it???

I've got my eye on a pretty cool V that has had a tough life. Some chips and dings and someone sanded the finish off the back of the neck. I've got the chance to grab it cheap and was seriously thinking of just getting it to let it rot so to speak. I tend to be a bit OCD about my other ones, but thinking if I got this with the intent of it being the sacrifice of the collection, it might be fun to just have one that welcomes abuse.

Have not played it yet, so it might not even matter, but if it plays well, I considering it. Going tomorrow night.

Opinions?

Thanks,

NHTom

Haha! Go for it! About 14 years ago I bought a Squier Strat for this purpose! I already had a few Gibsons but wanted a guitar I didn't mind leaving onstage or letting other people play at jams etc! I tend to be OCD with my guitars too, so I live in worry of things happening to all of them except this squier!

I still have it - massive chips on the body through to the wood, dings all over the headstock, rust on the screws that has cracked the pickguard, filthy tone/ vol controls...but it is still fun to play from time to time [biggrin] I think it has been dropped by accident about 10 times too! Still works though!

Haha! Go for it! About 14 years ago I bought a Squier Strat for this purpose! I already had a few Gibsons but wanted a guitar I didn't mind leaving onstage or letting other people play at jams etc! I tend to be OCD with my guitars too, so I live in worry of things happening to all of them except this squier!

I still have it - massive chips on the body through to the wood, dings all over the headstock, rust on the screws that has cracked the pickguard, filthy tone/ vol controls...but it is still fun to play from time to time [biggrin] I think it has been dropped by accident about 10 times too! Still works though!

Yes, that's kinda what I'm getting at.

NHTom

I bought my $249 Epiphone Caballero reissue a few months ago for exactly that purpose. The neck is very similar to my SG type guitars, so its a perfect daily practice guitar. The finish was crappy brand new, so I don't care if it gets beat up. I figure it will pay for itself in a year just from the wear and tear it prevents on my nice guitars. It actually looks pretty cool, too.

IMG_1142_zps12323ec1.jpg

Well, not really a beater, but a couple that I don't worry about. I usually have an Epi LP for those places that you know are going to risky (damage, theft, pass-around, etc). Currently I have an Epi Ultra II LP - actually it's a fairly nice guitar, but I don't worry about it because the cost was low. Used / less expensive gear frees you from worries.

I also have a Rainsong 12-string acoustic that's all carbon fiber. I like the freedom it gives, especially outdoors - thinking about getting a Rainsong 6-string acoustic.

Then I have this old Yamaha G-55 classical I got back in the 70s. I use it at my desk when figuring out arrangements and charting/tabbing. Bang it, drop it, no worries.

I have a couple of LP Studios that are my " beaters", great for friends to use or any place where it might have others play it or just left lying around. I still take time to make them play well, keep them clean, but I don't worry much if they get dinged or scratched.

I am thinking I might buy a 2015 model as a bang around guitar, to experiment with tunings and slide. Then it could also be something for friends to use as well. The wider neck should work well for slide stuff, I think.

Just wondering if anyone out there has ever gone out and bought a specific guitar knowing in advance that it was going to be a bit of a beater?

I'm talking knowing full and well that it will get stickers on it, pups swapped at random, the one left on a stand and not caring about nitro damage, will probably never see a polish cloth or anything like it???

Except for my Chet, that describes all my guitars and basses.

0263E720-0903-4773-8FE3-52A42663E577_zps9f1eicgq.jpg

Infact I don't recall the last time I cleaned a guitar.

I bought my $249 Epiphone Caballero reissue a few months ago for exactly that purpose. The neck is very similar to my SG type guitars, so its a perfect daily practice guitar. The finish was crappy brand new, so I don't care if it gets beat up. I figure it will pay for itself in a year just from the wear and tear it prevents on my nice guitars. It actually looks pretty cool, too.

IMG_1142_zps12323ec1.jpg

Oh man i got gas for those!! Ive been wanting an epi hog model for some time now. Been torn between the caballero or the new j45 re issue? Then again, the ri Texans are amazing as well. Here is my current beater (minus sticker), old picture but i dont feel like taking a new one, kind of a hassle lol. Takamine Jasmine s34c made out of Nato.

jasmine_zpsc6937a05.jpg100_1325_zps04e37be7.jpg

No guitar as a beater here, but some for taking a share of fret wear that I wanted to avoid doing to others.

I guess most of my guitars will serve me with their stock frets until the end of my days. In particular, I'm pretty reluctant at having guitars with fret nibs or finished maple fingerboards refretted... [rolleyes]

I have liked every guitar I bought so I never intended on them being beaters.

Even my cheapo Squire was bought for a purpose. It plays great for me. I don't care if I ding it but I didn't buy it so I could ding it.

I do have old guitars that have been relegated to beaters but never really bought one to beat up.

All my guitars are for playing so if they get a beauty mark it doesn't hurt my feelings in the least.

I don't polish them either. I know.. I'm a bad bad man.

Yeah I wouldn't say I have ever bought a "beater" as such.... But the only guitar I had for many years was my Classic... At one point a few years back I was starting to want to jam and the idea of taking my £1500 treasured Classic to jam sessions was just not something I wanted.. Also I wanted a lighter guitar just to muck around on since the Classic is weighty... So I ended up getting a second hand LP Double Cut Faded Special (my only second hand Gibson).. it was £400 and I had to re-finish the top myself (since the last owner decided to sand it down)..

BUT what a great discovery it was.. Not only did it meet all of my requirements on a second guitar but it has one of the most amazing slim and fast necks ive ever played on a Gibby... And it introduced me to P90s which are amazing...

After that the flood gates of my GAS opened and within a few years I had like 9 Gibbys at one point (now down to 4)... :)

No, but some tend to be relegated to such a position over others simply by default...

I don't think my mind can ever wholly grasp "beater" and "guitar" in the same concept. I like guitars too much...

My cheapest Chinese guitar now has Gibson 490 pickups in it and sounds awesome so I don't get a "beater" feel from it.

"Johnny Reb" my cantankerous SG copy has such great sounding pickups in it, it truly inspires me with Elmore James sounds and a wicked rock crunch...

My go-to Korean GoldTop LP copy has sentimental value as my first LP style guitar I bought since my own putting my hiatus behind myself and embracing my revival so it doesn't feel at all "beater" to me...

No... I simply don't go there...

Back in the day when I was a Strat guy, I had some cheaper Fender Lead II or a Samik Strat copy layin' about that were beaters when I didn't feel like pulling out my American Standard Strat, but since my hiatus, no there are no beaters in my stable...

I spend quite a lot of Holiday Time in France with my wife's family but missed having a guitar there so on our last trip over I bought this Epi Hummingbird as ex-demo.

Hardly a looker, I know, but even with the rusty razor-wire it was strung with when I tried it out it sounded very sweet. Great action and lovely neck too.

New strings and a dusting-down were all she needed.

It will be a sort-of 'Beater' as it will be taken everywhere we go when travelling around.

I forgot to post a NGD thread when I returned and I don't have any 'proper' snaps but you'll get the gist.

Hummingbirdlo-res_zps57e9a466.jpg

P.

In a sense all of mine are beaters too - by which I mean I'm not precious about them. None of them are of particular value - no real vintage items or Historic reissues. Too rich for my blood. They all have dings and such. In fact I just noticed a nice ding in the bout of my brand new Gretsch - undoubtedly from sitting it on the floor leaning against the amp between sets. Meh.

This one though I did buy as a spare to leave at my mother in law's house. Only cost me $100. Has a solid top and sound great.

IMG_3355.jpg

IMG_3356.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Bought my first Les Paul Standard in 1979, stock with case. Beautiful neck, just felt right. I played it so much that it wound up with the mandatory buckle rash and a salt sweat hand print worn bridge. I've still got it, I still play it and i still love it too death. Not exactly a beater, just more a well appreciated beast. It's like a good wife, looking a bit worn but still loved after all this time. And it's still my go-to guitar when needed. Go figure....

In 2006 I bought a '98 Seagull S-6 for $100 (I think) with the INTENTION of it being a beater. While it is true I have taken it outside on occasion and when Penny and I first started dating I did leave it at her apartment, it's never been 'beaten on". I guess I'm not a campfire kinda guy.

This is how I acquired it. I haven't added anything.

s6b.jpg

Put me in the Squier camp. I bought a used Affinity Strat as a beater. It's my only Strat type guitar, so I fitted it out with a decent sounding, but cheap, Dragonfire loaded pickguard, total cost guitar and loaded pickguard still less than $150. Being used it was already reliced, with some chips and scratches; it's the fairly rare Aztec Gold finish with a maple fret board, scratches just add character.

Main things for me are that it feels great to play, tunes really easily, and holds tune really well. I had a Epi Junior with one P90 that I bought as a beater years back, but it was just so hard to tune, even after putting in a nice set of Grovers, and it never felt right when playing it, so I sold it.

In 2006 I bought a '98 Seagull S-6 for $100 (I think) with the INTENTION of it being a beater.

s6b.jpg

Yeah, those are actually quite nice sounding. I have the 12 string version which I got in spotless condition for $200. I quite like the cedar tops and cherry sides.

There are some very affordable well built guitars on the market today the would fill the bill as a "beater" today. It wasn't like that twenty or thirty years ago, it was either buy a Fender, Gibson or Gretch or Guild or by a piece of junk. There are many makers today that make affordable and well built stuff and with all the modeling devices availabe you really have a broad range to chose from.

Archived