Gibson Brands Forums

G-400 Maestro

creekster52

I got a Lake Placid Blue G-400 Maestro today. It's a refurb from MIRC. It looks nice and plays really nice. The fretwork is pretty good with very comfortable fret ends. My only complaint is the method of securing the arm to the Maestro. It simply attaches with a round head hex screw and a nylon washer, and when I move the arm it tightens or loosens depending on which way it is moved. Anyone know of a solution for this?

BTW...This Maestro may be an aftermarket version replaced at the refurb center. It is plain and not stamped like most others I've seen.

post-31827-056800600 1413950384_thumb.jpg

Were did the nice maestro go thats not a epiphone one .

Apparently there were production models that did not have the stamped tailpiece cover. I found this YT vid from 2008 and that one isn't stamped either, so maybe this is a refurb originally manufactured in the same time period. If I remember correctly, didn't Epiphone produce the G-400 in Korea until 2009? Maybe the Korean models weren't stamped. Mine plays and looks as good as my 2002 Korean G-400.

I should probably go to Guitar Center and check out a Derek Trucks model to see if the Gibsons do something different with the trem arm attachment.

Crust - That's a drag about the two from Sam Ash. If mine has a neck repair, it certainly doesn't show at all. I don't think they would go to that much trouble for such an inexpensive guitar. They would probably just part it out.

Apparently there were production models that did not have the stamped tailpiece cover. I found this YT vid from 2008 and that one isn't stamped either, so maybe this is a refurb originally manufactured in the same time period. If I remember correctly, didn't Epiphone produce the G-400 in Korea until 2009? Maybe the Korean models weren't stamped. Mine plays and looks as good as my 2002 Korean G-400.

I should probably go to Guitar Center and check out a Derek Trucks model to see if the Gibsons do something different with the trem arm attachment.

Crust - That's a drag about the two from Sam Ash. If mine has a neck repair, it certainly doesn't show at all. I don't think they would go to that much trouble for such an inexpensive guitar. They would probably just part it out.

the Derek Trucks model doesn't have the arm. just the plate. http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2014/Derek-Trucks-SG.aspx

I got a Lake Placid Blue G-400 Maestro today. It's a refurb from MIRC. It looks nice and plays really nice. The fretwork is pretty good with very comfortable fret ends. My only complaint is the method of securing the arm to the Maestro. It simply attaches with a round head hex screw and a nylon washer, and when I move the arm it tightens or loosens depending on which way it is moved. Anyone know of a solution for this?

BTW...This Maestro may be an aftermarket version replaced at the refurb center. It is plain and not stamped like most others I've seen.

post-31827-056800600 1413950384_thumb.jpg

Get some blue loctite. NOT RED, you need a torch to undo it. Pull the hex screw, put just a dab of the blue on the threads, put the hex screw back in and tighten to where you like it, holding it from turning while testing. Wait 24 hours. Problem solved, hopefully.

the Derek Trucks model doesn't have the arm. just the plate. http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2014/Derek-Trucks-SG.aspx

Possibly the best way to install a Maestro IMHO...

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, I know Trucks takes his off, but didn't realize the signature model came without the arm. They must be out of production/stock now anyway. I think I might try the loc-tite fix.

The loc-tite solution will not work. The guitar will not fit in the case with the arm attached, so I'm back to square one. The Maestro came with one nylon spacer/washer on the top of the arm and one very thin clear plastic washer on the bottom. I may try nylon washers on both sides of the arm. That may allow tightening of the screw without restricting the arm movement, or resulting in tightening/loosening during arm movement. I will post an update after attempting.

In the mean time, if anyone has a suggestion, I would appreciate hearing it!

Another annoyance was that the trem arm would not clear the tip of the pickup selector switch if it was in the neck position or the both position. I am replacing the switch with a blend pot and a chickenhead knob, which will allow the arm to clear.

• 3 weeks later...

Update for reference: I tried a blend pot, and didn't like it, so finally settled on a 3-position rotary pickup switch with a chickenhead knob. As for the trem arm, I went with #10 nylon washers on both sides. This works well, and the screw no longer tightens or loosens when the trem arm is moved. I purchased extras to keep in the case since I'm certain to lose a few.

• 7 months later...

Update for reference: I tried a blend pot, and didn't like it, so finally settled on a 3-position rotary pickup switch with a chickenhead knob. As for the trem arm, I went with #10 nylon washers on both sides. This works well, and the screw no longer tightens or loosens when the trem arm is moved. I purchased extras to keep in the case since I'm certain to lose a few.

Good to hear that you sorted out the arm mounting issue.

It seems quite dubious to have such poorly executed mechanical solutions that are then sold to us, the paying customers. You`ve solved them in a much more workable way, but what a (ridiculous) hassle! This is certainly not a product confidence builder.

Archived