Gibson Brands Forums

(working photos version) NGD: 2013 R8 in Kindred Burst Fade

tinman1

Tried this before but due to some photobucket changes it wasn't working with embedded photos. Thanks to Jimi Mac here they are!

Kindred burst fade which was a 2013 run of 23 1958 reissues made to emulate the Perry burst finish (at least, how it probably looked before all the ageing and fading that took place when Slash played November Rain on the cliff top!). The burst comes out looking very black in photos but its actually a very dark burgundy in natural light. If anyone knows where "Kindred burst" comes from I'd be interested to know (?? "Mama Kin"?)

Great player with low, uniform action along the length of the fretboard. QC pretty tight- nibs in particular are cut and filed much more nicely than on my Traditional. 8lbs 15oz so reasonable weight too.

And I almost forgot to mention- had me this for exactly the same price as a 2015 USA standard. No brainer.

IMG_1499_zps8f595514.jpg

IMG_1505_zps27129c57.jpg

20141010_181625_resized_zps9cd018c0.jpg

IMG_1501_zpsa8a2e280.jpg

IMG_1510_zps2684fe42.jpg

IMG_1500_zps174eb34b.jpg

IMG_1503_zps0ba825eb.jpg

And its doppleganger:

77d78d39-85eb-4896-97fb-804647f54350_zpsd07888c2.jpg

It's a beauty! Not to take away from it's beauty but isn't the Perry burst a plain top?

The Perry burst is lightly figured. See BOTB p 58-59...author describes it as "mild flame appearance".

The photo at the bottom is a plain top but its not the Perry burst. I just added for comparison as its very dark too and the grain is similar to mine.

Thanks chaps. I know the dark burst doesn't float everyone's boat but I love it.

Had it a few days now. Definitely a keeper so I've installed strap locks.

The custombuckers are very responsive to riding the volume controls. Not sure if that's mainly thanks to the pickups or the "bumblebee" capacitors or whatever.

I tend to go over new guitars with a very critical eye and this one really proves to me that "going custom" is worth it for a step up in fit and finish. The quality of the fret/ binding/ nib work in particular is excellent.

Theres no way I'd have paid the same price for a USA standard with all the 2015 "upgrades", yet prices are currently very close between R8s and USA standards.... I suspect there will be an increase in custom shop prices in the near future....

Absolutely Stunning guitar, tinman.

Great score in general and if, as it would seem, you got it for a steal then it's a win-win all the way.

..."going custom" is worth it for a step up in fit and finish...

I have to say I agree. A good R-I can be head-and-shoulders over a regular USA-line Paul.

It's doubtful that anyone other than the owner will notice the differences but, IMO, there is a genuine appreciation in seeing something finished-off with so much care and attention to detail.

P.

Absolutely Stunning guitar, tinman.

Great score in general and if, as it would seem, you got it for a steal then it's a win-win all the way.

I have to say I agree. A good R-I can be head-and-shoulders over a regular USA-line Paul.

It's doubtful that anyone other than the owner will notice the differences but, IMO, there is a genuine appreciation in seeing something finished-off with so much care and attention to detail.

P.

£2500 for the new 2013 R8 above (especially good as its a limited edition run). It's still a very expensive guitar no doubt, as are all Gibsons these days.

UK rrp for a 2015 USA standard is also £2500 so its a complete no brainer, especially given all the nasty "accoutrements" on this years USA models!

Most online dealers I contacted were willing to get into that ballpark for their remaining 2013 R8's and not much more for 2014 models. Get 'em while you still can folks!

Archived