Gibson Brands Forums

Help identifying my Les Paul Custom

Hi,

This is my first post on this forum. I hope I can get some clear answers. I'll start by saying I bought the guitar a few days again, used, from an authorized Gibson dealer. As I started to inquire about the guitar, Gibson customer service told me it was a 54 gibson Les Paul custom historic reissue made in 1999. I posted some pics in some forums to show some people who seem very knowledgeable, and they overwhelmingly disagree that it is in fact a 2009 model. It is a great guitar and I am really happy with it...however, I just want to know what I have exactly. It didn't come with a COA. Thanks in advance and I apologize if I'm bugging the same people. Here are some detailed pics. Hopefully I can confirm what this is 100%. Thanks

http://s737.photobucket.com/user/bluesman79/embed/slideshow/Mobile%20Uploads

Either way it's a great guitar. Just want to know what it is 100%!

I have an 06 LP Special VOS that has the same serial number format and case, the first number is a 0 for '1960', the second number is a 6 for 2006. But I do have the COA which helps. Also Gibson only makes some models during certain years so that is also helpful to know. I have a feeling that yours was made in limited numbers and only in certain years as I hear they are hard to find. Hopefully others will weigh in on this.

The potentiometer codes will certainly clear up a ten year discrepancy. From the photos I can't see if the codes are on the bottom of the pot, they may be on the side.

Since the pot date code for the year is a two-digit number (with additional numbers for the week of that year), your born-on-date answer is in the code.

I've been contacted by gibson and have two different opinions from two different people. I've never seen such incompetence from a big company like this in my life. For such a great guitar in thoroughly disappointed I can't get a clear answer. How they don't keep detailed records of custom shop inventory is beyond me.

The potentiometer codes will certainly clear up a ten year discrepancy. From the photos I can't see if the codes are on the bottom of the pot, they may be on the side.

Since the pot date code for the year is a two-digit number (with additional numbers for the week of that year), your born-on-date answer is in the code.

They say 0852 which as I'm told indicates the last week of 2008. Gibson has told me its a 99 twice and an 09 once. Most people I talk to agree it's an 09 but gibson can't decide.

Anyone from gibson care to chime in?

Exactly what do you want to hear. Gibson obviously doesn't know, as you've said yourself they told you both '99 AND '09, why would you even want them to chime in again.

You've said your pot codes date to the 52nd week of 2008, what more information do you need. The guitar obviously wasn't assembled in 1999 from 2008 parts.

Archived