Gibson Brands Forums

Mandolin gas pains

Doug the Old Geezer

Do any of you loungers have any inkling about the Epiphone MM50E mandolin? I am thinking about replacing my old, cheap mandolin and am starting to look around. Any suggestions would be apprectiated, thanks. I know we don't talk about mandolins much and maybe this should be in a different forum, but I thought I would start with the Lounge. [smile]

not sure I have an answer but I do have a question what is meant by "GAS" I see it used here a lot but I am not up with a lot of the slang that is used here or abbreviations, I prefer to use the whole words so I guess I am the old guy that has to ask dumb questions. thanks

gear acquisition syndrome

That's looks pretty nice for the $. I guess part of the cost is the electronics. If you don't need the pickup, there may be models in that price range that don't have that capability but are "better" acoustically. Sorry I don't know enough about what's out there to suggest alternatives.

Do any of you loungers have any inkling about the Epiphone MM50E mandolin? I am thinking about replacing my old, cheap mandolin and am starting to look around. Any suggestions would be apprectiated, thanks. I know we don't talk about mandolins much and maybe this should be in a different forum, but I thought I would start with the Lounge. [smile]

Hi Doug,

A few years ago I picked up an Epiphone MM30e as I'd been asked to join a band on mandolin. I already had some experience with violin so thought it shouldn't be too hard as it is the same tuning.

It turned out to be a fantastic mandolin for the price. Good intonation, action and workmanship and it also sounds pretty good too. I've used it for gigs and recording and never had any problems with it.

My advice to you would be to try the MM50e out first before you buy though as Epiphones can sometimes be a bit hit and miss, but I think it would be a good one to go for especially with the electronics (which to my knowledge don't appear on any other mandolin).

Your other option would to be to look at some of the Kentucky mandolins as they are not too bad, or you could get a second hand Gibson at a good price for just over double the cost of the Epi. Gretsch make a nice looking one too at about the same price - Gretsch G9350 Park Avenue F Mandolin

Hi Doug,

A few years ago I picked up an Epiphone MM30e as I'd been asked to join a band on mandolin. I already had some experience with violin so thought it shouldn't be too hard as it is the same tuning.

It turned out to be a fantastic mandolin for the price. Good intonation, action and workmanship and it also sounds pretty good too. I've used it for gigs and recording and never had any problems with it.

My advice to you would be to try the MM50e out first before you buy though as Epiphones can sometimes be a bit hit and miss, but I think it would be a good one to go for especially with the electronics (which to my knowledge don't appear on any other mandolin).

Your other option would to be to look at some of the Kentucky mandolins as they are not too bad, or you could get a second hand Gibson at a good price for just over double the cost of the Epi. Gretsch make a nice looking one too at about the same price - Gretsch G9350 Park Avenue F Mandolin

Thanks, for the advice and comments, Cody. I will have to try some out. I think my local stores (50 miles) have Kentucky and maybe Epiphone both, so I will have to trek there and check them out. [thumbup]

And I'm an old guy too Kelly lol. I just got lucky awhile back and someone else asked ... that's how I know

If you want a mandolin wouldn't it be MAS? I know nothing about them but would like one and a banjo and several hundred more guitars and basses and amps and pedals and it goes on and on. Gibson makes some and them small suckers ain't cheap.

That's looks pretty nice for the $. I guess part of the cost is the electronics. If you don't need the pickup, there may be models in that price range that don't have that capability but are "better" acoustically. Sorry I don't know enough about what's out there to suggest alternatives.

OK Thanks I guess I have found something new I have and did not even know there was a name for it... [smile]

Thanks for all your comments. MAS might fit, but GAS will too, if it is "Gear" instead of "Guitar". Kelly, the GAS pains aren't too strong yet, but they are building a little. I wish I could afford a Gibson Mandolin, unfortunately, I can't, but I love playing them almost as much as my J-35. [thumbup]

Thanks for all your comments. MAS might fit, but GAS will too, if it is "Gear" instead of "Guitar". Kelly, the GAS pains aren't too strong yet, but they are building a little. I wish I could afford a Gibson Mandolin, unfortunately, I can't, but I love playing them almost as much as my J-35. [thumbup]

Carefull Doug! In some cases, MAS and GAS when left untreated have been known to cause chronic bouts of "Mandolin Wind" [scared]

Archived