Gibson Brands Forums

Stock nut and saddle

nopicknick

I think you'll be maybe in the minority amongst forums . bone seems to be the substance most linked with supposed tone improvement.

I'm not qualifying that by posting , just saying.

I'm of the camp that doesn't think it makes significant difference to worry about it.

strings and pick choice will alter tone in much bigger portions. and a badly fitted top of the range bone nut will fall short of a well cut and fitted cheap *** plastic one surely.

bone has the 'old timey' touch though aesthetically.

Am I in the minority when I say I prefer the Tusq nut and saddle? I did replace the plastic pins with boxwood pins, but that was more aesthetic than anything else.

I removed the tusq saddle in my Gibson Hummingbird and fitted it with a hand fit Colosi compensated bone saddle....I .HATED IT. The bone saddle ruined the tone..it no longer even sounded like a hummingbird. I removed the bone and replaced the original tusq saddle, and it sounded wonderful again. Some guitars love tusq....some don't. I do prefer bone in both AJ Masterbilts I have. I am also very fond of Nu-bone...a derivative of Tusq and made by the same people, Graph-tech I think, . Many lower end guitars are now fit with Nu-bone, which sounds very close to Tusq, making lower end guitars sound better than ever before.

• 1 month later...

I removed the tusq saddle in my Gibson Hummingbird and fitted it with a hand fit Colosi compensated bone saddle....I .HATED IT. The bone saddle ruined the tone..it no longer even sounded like a hummingbird. I removed the bone and replaced the original tusq saddle, and it sounded wonderful again. Some guitars love tusq....

That's interesting. Does the HB TV not come with a bone saddle?

I am planning to raise the action on mine and that perhaps warranted get a new saddle. Bone would be my first choice because as I supposed is what TV's have on them.

That's interesting. Does the HB TV not come with a bone saddle?

I am planning to raise the action on mine and that perhaps warranted get a new saddle. Bone would be my first choice because as I supposed is what TV's have on them.

I believe the HB TV models have bone saddles, My HB is the standard model with factory pick up and tusq saddle.. Most of Gibsons guitars with pick up's installed from the factory come with tusq saddles and nuts because it is supposed to amplify well and some say more evenly than bone on guitars with pick up's installed.

But both bone and tusq saddles can sound very good. I do prefer tusq on my Hummingbird standard, but might love the bone sound on the TV., but have kept the bone saddle in the case for if I ever remove the pick up, and wish to return to bone.

I have preferred bone saddle and nuts in my two Masterbilt AJ models (rosewood and mahogany)

I believe the HB TV models have bone saddles, My HB is the standard model with factory pick up and tusq saddle.. Most of Gibsons guitars with pick up's installed from the factory come with tusq saddles and nuts because it is supposed to amplify well and some say more evenly than bone on guitars with pick up's installed.

But both bone and tusq saddles can sound very good. I do prefer tusq on my Hummingbird standard, but might love the bone sound on the TV., but have kept the bone saddle in the case for if I ever remove the pick up, and wish to return to bone.

I have preferred bone saddle and nuts in my two Masterbilt AJ models (rosewood and mahogany)

Thanks,

So the TV's comes with no electronics inside? under saddle pickup and bone saddle not get along together? That's helpful info in my decision. I use the electronics a lot.

Thanks,

So the TV's comes with no electronics inside? under saddle pickup and bone saddle not get along together? That's helpful info in my decision. I use the electronics a lot.

The TV bird has no electronics....this is why the bone saddle is usually used. Bone is said to be not as even in hardness as bone can vary in quality, affecting tone some say. The HB standard has tusq saddle and has the pick up in it. Tusq is said to be hard, even and smooth sounding. The tusq saddle is said to work well with the picks ups, making them cleaner and clearer when plugged in. But that can vary and opinions on it are many.

I would not make the assumption however, that bone will not work well with a pick up installed. It has been used for years successfully. Tusq is a new man made product. It is actually a very high quality resilient plastic, much harder and more durable than the old plastic saddles. When tusq is dropped on a hard surface, it sounds more like metal than plastic. The important thing is that both can work well. But both will likely sound different.

Tusq = high, clean, crisp, clear, non blurred notes, less thick, but more cutting. Amplifies well with less rumble, more open clearness and clarity.

Bone = thick, rich, rounded notes, but with somewhat less clarity than tusq. Amplifies well but with more thick and round sound, and slightly less open and clear.

Many guitar companies have made the decision to go almost exclusively to tusq on acoustic electrics...such as Taylor, Gibson. and Martin, which has its own version of tusq called Micarta and Corian.

Good luck...and best wishes... GL

The TV line doesn't come with electronics, since they attempt to replicate the originals - which obviously didn't come with electronics. Often, people form an opinion on the change in sound/tone when they swap out a bridge, but the change is sometimes due to the new strings they put on. I've found it interesting to play with a tusq pick and then a bone pick to get a feel for the difference in sound. But, my worn out ears can't hear a difference when I change saddles.

Archived