Gibson Brands Forums

Why no 6 string bass ?

yelf

Hi,

I actually own a SG 400 PRO and an EB-0.

I'm looking forward buying a Wildkat this christmas.

I would also love an EB bass with six strings. But, it seems Epiphone and Gibson don't like at all 6 string basses.

There was the EB-5 which seems very cool, but no 6 string bass.

Is there a reason for that ?

Personal opinion... <_<

5 string basses are just about OK, with a low 'B'

Similarly 7 string guitars...

6 string basses look exotic and can play flashy lines

Can promulgate a more technical ethos

Which may detract from mature musical content... [biggrin] ... <_< ... :blink:

V

:-({|=

PS Similar with 5 and 6 string violins, violas and cellos... :-({|=

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

the same reason they don't keep 5-strings in production...they don't sell.

I beg to differ on this comment 5 and 6 string basses DO sell and quite well, the issue is every 5 string and 6 string bass player I know of uses Ibanez or music man. now one reason for this is they are lightweight and have an extremely comfortable neck on them. in fact I cant tell a difference between a 4 string and 5 string Ibanez bass neck they feel the same to me.

I believe the real reason is because epi and Gibson just can compete in the price range of 5 and 6 string basses.

but what needs to be remembered is people will buy a Gibson just because it has "Gibson" on the headstock regardless of poor QC ( pick up a few and I can almost bet 25% or more have frets that overhang the fretboard some so bad they will cut your fingers up) or poor sounding when compared to the so-called "lower-end" or "inferior" epiphones.

in regards to epi I don't believe epi wants to have to compete with the reasonable prices of Ibanez ( haven't seen an epi 4 string bass yet that was as comfortable as my Ibanez 4 string and my Ibanez only set me back 350.00 out the door with a hardshell gator case because it was a new old stock item ( that's what happens when people put things on layaway and don't pick them up LOL, people like me will walk in with cash in hand and get our SR400QM for a great deal "D).

what it boils down to though is epi just cant compete with Ibanez and people that want 5 and 6 string basses just don't seem to be willing ( or able) to pony up for a "Gibson".

with all the above said however ive never seen a 6 string epi or Gibson but I have seen 5-string epi basses in fact I have one old 1992 EBM-5CH and it's nice but to me the neck feels unneccesarily wide, in fact it feels to me as though the neck on it would in fact work for a six string bass ( yep it feels that wide LOL).

anyway, after getting it and fixing the electronic issues and changing the strings I listed it for sale, got tons of "hits" but none want to pony up the cash for it LOL.

• 2 weeks later...

I beg to differ on this comment 5 and 6 string basses DO sell and quite well, the issue is every 5 string and 6 string bass player I know of uses Ibanez or music man. now one reason for this is they are lightweight and have an extremely comfortable neck on them. in fact I cant tell a difference between a 4 string and 5 string Ibanez bass neck they feel the same to me.

I believe the real reason is because epi and Gibson just can compete in the price range of 5 and 6 string basses.

but what needs to be remembered is people will buy a Gibson just because it has "Gibson" on the headstock regardless of poor QC ( pick up a few and I can almost bet 25% or more have frets that overhang the fretboard some so bad they will cut your fingers up) or poor sounding when compared to the so-called "lower-end" or "inferior" epiphones.

in regards to epi I don't believe epi wants to have to compete with the reasonable prices of Ibanez ( haven't seen an epi 4 string bass yet that was as comfortable as my Ibanez 4 string and my Ibanez only set me back 350.00 out the door with a hardshell gator case because it was a new old stock item ( that's what happens when people put things on layaway and don't pick them up LOL, people like me will walk in with cash in hand and get our SR400QM for a great deal "D).

what it boils down to though is epi just cant compete with Ibanez and people that want 5 and 6 string basses just don't seem to be willing ( or able) to pony up for a "Gibson".

with all the above said however ive never seen a 6 string epi or Gibson but I have seen 5-string epi basses in fact I have one old 1992 EBM-5CH and it's nice but to me the neck feels unneccesarily wide, in fact it feels to me as though the neck on it would in fact work for a six string bass ( yep it feels that wide LOL).

anyway, after getting it and fixing the electronic issues and changing the strings I listed it for sale, got tons of "hits" but none want to pony up the cash for it LOL.

which brings me back to my original comment. bass players that play 5 or 6 string basses typically go for the brands you mentioned. the Epiphone T-bird pro V didn't sell that well.

I have considered a five string many times and played a six string on occasion just to see what it's like. In the end, I never buy one because four strings is all I ever need. Nothing I play needs a low B. If it did, then a fiver would be useful but not absolutely necessary. If I need to go higher, I just use the upper frets, so that solves that problem. Going too high on the bass gets tangled up with the rest of the treble, so I don't do that. If you are doing a lot of bass solos, then more strings makes perfect sense to me, but I don't do that because I am just flat out not that talented or skilled!

I have considered a five string many times and played a six string on occasion just to see what it's like. In the end, I never buy one because four strings is all I ever need. Nothing I play needs a low B. If it did, then a fiver would be useful but not absolutely necessary. If I need to go higher, I just use the upper frets, so that solves that problem. Going too high on the bass gets tangled up with the rest of the treble, so I don't do that. If you are doing a lot of bass solos, then more strings makes perfect sense to me, but I don't do that because I am just flat out not that talented or skilled!

I don't need 5 strings but it's nice to know that if I ever did I would have it, besides if you never use the low b string then you could save cash by just getting a 4 string set every other string change LMAO.

my thought though is if I am going to pay $300 for a bass and I have a choice between 4 string or 5 at the same price I will pick up the five string, same if there was little or no diff in price between 4/5 and 6 string ( just makes good financial sense to me :D).

• 1 year later...

I beg to differ on this comment 5 and 6 string basses DO sell and quite well, the issue is every 5 string and 6 string bass player I know of uses Ibanez or music man. now one reason for this is they are lightweight and have an extremely comfortable neck on them. ...

with all the above said however ive never seen a 6 string epi or Gibson but I have seen 5-string epi basses in fact I have one old 1992 EBM-5CH and it's nice but to me the neck feels unneccesarily wide, in fact it feels to me as though the neck on it would in fact work for a six string bass ( yep it feels that wide LOL)....

I know this is an old thread, but.....

I absolutely adore my EBM-5WH's neck. It is substantially narrower than the other 5's I've played; everyone who I've let try it has thought so, too.

As to the need for a 5, my EBM-5 does three major things for me:

1.)The low B. Or, more precisely, real low C's and D's for when you play in G, and real D's for when you play in A. I play bluegrass (I know, why an EBM-5 with that devilishly long sustain.... it works for me!) and the low string gets a workout, especially in the keys of G, A, C, and D. A couple of times I have tuned the axe down a half-step for the B-flat, but the tone suffers. I'll typically reserve a slide or walk down to the low tonic if we're in C or D for the tag at the end of the last chorus, or the bump-down if in G or A. Gives some variety to the bass line, and emphasis on the last line of the last chorus.

2.) Every key plays the same without going too high on the neck (although, again, the EBM is famous for the two-octave neck). With a four-string, I play in the keys of C and G very differently; on the 5 I play the G like it's C one string lower.

3.) Two-octave walks (in keys rooted somewhere on the A string) without radical hand repositioning up or down the neck. A full two-octave walk across the neck in one hand position combined with two-octaves of slideable neck is a killer combination. Staying across the neck lets me do rundowns as fast as the banjo does, and lets me keep up with the guitarist's Flatt runs.

Yeah, I'm thankful for my Epi EBM-5.....

Archived