Gibson Brands Forums

Everything you ever wanted to know about Gibson Min-eTune

Searcy

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I may be permitted to ask a strange question or two; how much does it weigh and do you (or does anyone else) know what a Kluson weighs by way of a comparison?

P.

Great question! I didn't weigh the Min-eTune system before I installed it but the Tronical site claims they weigh 244 grams.

Here is what my Gibson Deluxe tuners weigh.

8CD1986D-252E-402F-9A24-AE6730732143_zpsuq1irc24.jpg

I know I come across as a goofball, contrarian, fan boy most of the time but I intend to use this thread to go over this system with a fine tooth come. I want to see what it will do and what it wont do. Most of the complaints I see with it are with the concept and not with the performance of the actual product.

Installation is very straight forward. The swap is as easy as everyone say's it is.

C92CDD08-95EC-4786-A746-E20041E31586_zpsyzylotoa.jpg

BED778DE-3F4E-4B14-837F-179881608A6C_zpsksrje7q2.jpg

There is no drilling, no soldering, no wiring to do at all.

2E415080-A627-4C84-BF86-7602A823E86C_zpsuppvoc06.jpg

3CACCEB6-3D42-4691-A28B-BD094C889EF0_zpslwnxwpe9.jpg

There is a bit of a learning curve when it comes to wrapping the strings around the posts and installing lock nut on the tuner posts. Not doing it correctly will lead to tuning stability issues. I didn't actually to it correctly here but the system is staying in tune reasonably well.

Thanks for the reply, Searcy.

So that's just 57g (around 30%) heavier than the Klusons?

I know that the plastic stuff etc. will add more mass but even so; I'm surprised to see such little difference between the two sets.

P.

Thanks for the reply, Searcy.

So that's just 57g (around 30%) heavier than the Klusons?

I know that the plastic stuff etc. will add more mass but even so; I'm surprised to see such little difference between the two sets.

P.

Ok, here's another interesting figure pertaining to the weight of the Min-eTune system. If you like Grovers they weigh in at 46g. That makes for a total of 276g for the set. So if the claimed weight of the robotuners is correct the Min-eTune actually weighs less that the Grovers. When I change strings later this week I'll weigh the min-etune system to check the claim of 244g is correct. Seems unlikly to me.

4560B55C-7FDE-4B74-97A6-305E43CE8AA8_zpshnn83to7.jpg

Winding_Example_New-150x150_zpsf6b1afc9.jpeg

...If you like Grovers they weigh in at 46g. That makes for a total of 276g for the set...

Thanks again, Searcy.

The extra weight of the Grovers is one reason I'll never (again) have them on a Lester.

I had one LP with them and I hated all the extra mass at the top end.

p.Pp.

Ok, here's another interesting figure pertaining to the weight of the Min-eTune system. If you like Grovers they weigh in at 46g. That makes for a total of 276g for the set. So if the claimed weight of the robotuners is correct the Min-eTune actually weighs less that the Grovers. When I change strings later this week I'll weigh the min-etune system to check the claim of 244g is correct. Seems unlikly to me.

4560B55C-7FDE-4B74-97A6-305E43CE8AA8_zpshnn83to7.jpg

Winding_Example_New-150x150_zpsf6b1afc9.jpeg

So that means that 6 tuners weigh over a 1/2 pound. 9.7 ounces I think....I would never guess they were that heavy

Very cool... goofball, contrarian, fan boy...NOT!

When did you get that?!

(must be patient, must be patient, must be...)

How long before we can see the rest of the axe, please, please, please?(pant, pant) =P~

Σß

You've seen it. It's my all maple Raw Power Les Paul Studio. [thumbup]

8FF25ECC-E3B9-4099-AFD3-F4AB06A7F307_zps8toalhre.jpg

You've seen it. It's my all maple Raw Power Les Paul Studio. [thumbup]

Why yes... yes I have, and I must say the picture is great but she looks even better in person. [drool]

Sorry for my previous outburst. I was suffering from up-all-night compounded with sugar buzz.

What type battery in the Tronical and how long are they s'posed to last?

Σß

It runs a proprietary rechargeable battery that's 3.7V. It's easy to remove and swap for a fresh one. It's supposed to be good for 100 tunings but If I were gigging with this thing I would want a backup battery.

8EFEC796-8779-44CA-9526-C173583C9D2F_zpsxist4o6y.jpg

I think I came across my first real problem with the system... More on that in my next post here.

So I have been able to use all of the 12 preset tunings that come loaded on the Min eTune system with no issue. The system leaves you room to load and store 6 of your own tunings too. I figured it was time to try my hand at loading a few of my own tunings into the "blue" bank and save them there.

2014-10-27_090606_zps8129a29c.jpg

The first strange tuning I tried was one that Bob Welsh used that was to simply to tune all the strings to "E". This can make for some interesting pad effects. So I tuned each string to the nearest E. and went through the process for storing the tuning. The first few strings worked fine but the "B" string would not lock in. After a frustrating half hour of playing around and retrying the storing procedure again I finally looked where I should have started.. in the manual.

Seems you can't have any tuning you want. You see, each of the 6 tuners is assigned a frequency range. If the note you chose is outside of that specific tuners range then it can't be saved to that tuner.

2014-10-26_185447_zpsed26632b.jpg

So I tried again with another tuning I like which is Steven Stills 4 and 20 tuning or DADDAD as it's called.

2014-10-26_195631_zps9231d2d4.jpg

No good. The note's did not fit the frequency limits of the given tuners. So I have down loaded a tuner for my phone that will display frequency as well as the note being played so I can look into this a bit further.

I'll report more as I figure it out. :-k

... Seems you can't have any tuning you want. You see, each of the 6 tuners is assigned a frequency range. If the note you chose is outside of that specific tuners range then it can't be saved to that tuner.

2014-10-26_185447_zpsed26632b.jpg

You da man Searcy! . I've had a Robot (which stores the same, more or less) since 2008 and never came across this hidden problem. A big part of the advantage of the system is using Alt-tunings and IMO some of these frequency limitations shouldn't be there.

On my 2008 Robot I ran the 4&20 (DADDAD) tuning (I know I've never tried to save that one) and the G string wouldn't register. I gradually tuned up the G string and it registered as it got closer to F. So it appears the old Robots have the same limitations. I never ran into it myself, and I've never read anything about this until you uncovered it.

2008-SGside-md.jpg

So this morning I let the Min-ETune the Les Paul to DADGAD which it did perfectly. Then I tuned the G up to D and checked the frequency with my tuner app. Sure enough it's out of the range of the G string tuner. I'll have to sit down and pour over some other tunings to see what I want to store in those 6 user banks now but being shot down on my first two choices is a real disappointment. Not enough to put me off on the idea all together just yet but it's a big negative that I have never seen mentioned anywhere before.

(Screen shot of "G" string tuned up to "D". Well outside the frequency limits of 115Hz to 180Hz)

52955754-F466-4E95-A5AE-DB6B8967C473_zps0syvex2c.png

• 2 weeks later...

Archived