Gibson Brands Forums

McPherson?

MissouriPicker

McPherson is an old Scottish word which translates to "overpriced"….lol….BUT really, you will NEVER find a better guitar with respect to fit and finish than these. The INSIDE of the guitar is cleaner and has better fit and finish than most outsides of guitars. I've played a bunch at Gryphon's in Palo Alto, and it is a sound that takes getting used to. Maybe the offset sound hole? Not my cup of tea, but an amazing 'tour de force' of luthier gymnastics. That $2000 up charge is making Gibson's 29% price hike seem small by comparison…lol

Yeah, I agree. Beautiful instruments, but I could never justify the price. Besides, anything over six grand is kind of a waste for me. I've never cared to check for a drop or smear of glue on the inside of a guitar. Maybe I should, but I don't. I could do a lot with six grand. Get another Gibson, plus get my wife and grandkids something nice. I'm not knocking those who can justify the price. Just giving my perspective.

Aside from the huge price increase, what really surprises me is that it includes guitars that are old stock.

SoundPure here in Durham has a wall full of McPherson guitars, as well as Santa Cruz, Collings, Bourgeois, etc. All displayed on a beautiful brick wall. Very impressive, to say the least. I've strummed a McPherson and they are spectacular, but so is my Hummingbird. A 2k increase on guitars that start at 6k boggles my mind. I get a little nervous holding one, so I usually give it a strum or two and hand it back to be hung back up. My question is, who buys these ? I'm sure a handful of recording artists play these, but I got to think the majority of these are owned by CEO's, doctors, lawyers, etc. that aren't working musicians. Nothing wrong with that, mind you.

SoundPure here in Durham has a wall full of McPherson guitars, as well as Santa Cruz, Collings, Bourgeois, etc. All displayed on a beautiful brick wall. Very impressive, to say the least. I've strummed a McPherson and they are spectacular, but so is my Hummingbird. A 2k increase on guitars that start at 6k boggles my mind. I get a little nervous holding one, so I usually give it a strum or two and hand it back to be hung back up. My question is, who buys these ? I'm sure a handful of recording artists play these, but I got to think the majority of these are owned by CEO's, doctors, lawyers, etc. that aren't working musicians. Nothing wrong with that, mind you.

I agree

I was Carmel California this past July and went to a vintage guitar shop and I noticed they had several LP's hanging on the wall and all looked to be either a re-issue or original 1959's so I asked if they were 59's and he said yes and pulled down one and handed it to me. I asked so how much is this one and he said.....$185,000.00 so I immediately handed it right back to him did not strum on it or anything..so I know what you mean when you say it makes you a little nervous..LOL

Archived