Gibson Brands Forums

Slight ringing when muting strings... hard to explain

indecks

I have a 1996 Les Paul Studio that is exhibiting a strange tonal issue.

When I play a note (any note) and immediately mute the strings with my left hand, I hear a ringing. I've determined that it's coming from the machine head side of the strings, on the machine head side of the nut. If what I'm saying makes no sense, imagine plucking the machine head end of the strings, you hear a strange almost harmonic, high pitched note dischord note. It happens every time I play a standard tune. I've also narrowed it down to this part of the strings as I've tried putting a piece of felt under that part of the strings to mute them and sure enough, it prevents the issue. I don't want to put anything there, though.

All of my strings are seated properly, yet this guitar has not been set up by anyone. I bought it used and it plays great. Has a wonderful tone, but I have changed the strings. (Ernie Ball Super Slinky 10s). Is there something I can do besides using a piece of material there? Is it a truss rod issue?

I haven't taken it to a shop yet because I'm trying to keep cost down and I'm not sure what it would cost, were it something serious. Sorry if none of this makes any sense. :(

Guest Farnsbarns

There's no pickups behind the nut so turn the amp up? Failing that, a hair tie around the headstock, between nut and both E machine heads works nicely. What method have you used to string? Over and under? A knot? Locking machines? Etc?

There's no pickups behind the nut so turn the amp up? Failing that, a hair tie around the headstock, between nut and both E machine heads works nicely. What method have you used to string? Over and under? A knot? Locking machines? Etc?

I use the over/under method. No locking tuners, just standard OEM tuners. What I don't understand is that I have a 2001 special, and until recently had a 2011 Spc Pro that did not exhibit this issue, with the same strings.

edit: and thanks for the suggestion!

All of my guitars and basses without devices locking strings at the scale length show this effect more or less. String portions of open strings, between tuners and nut as well as between bridge and string suspension if applicable, will be excited by picking, too. In case of a fretted note, the portions between the fret below the fretted position and nut create one more pitch per string. This is absolutely normal and part of the basic design.

Using double-locking Floyd Rose vibratos or any double ball-end Steinberger system instrument, the portion between the fret below the fretted position and nut is the only additional pitch occuring on each fretted note. Open strings feature just the scale length vibrating.

The purity of my Floyd Rose guitars' tones is definitely superior. Most of my guitars are hardtails though, and all of my basses, too. The vibrations of the "little strings" can be partly muted using felt stripes, but inaudible elastic forces propagating along the string will still affect tone.

Guest Farnsbarns

I use the over/under method. No locking tuners, just standard OEM tuners. What I don't understand is that I have a 2001 special, and until recently had a 2011 Spc Pro that did not exhibit this issue, with the same strings.

edit: and thanks for the suggestion!

I think you probably have a guitar with a very resonant neck. It's a disaster! Wanna sell it? ;)

I've not really noticed such a thing myself but I've heard of it and I've heard alot of folks that use that little hair band trick...

I suspect I should probably check my tuner fastening nuts, I've never put a wrench on one in my life and have not doubt some of them could be a touch loose...

Does the sound get projected thru the amp? If not I wouldn't worry too much other than to make sure none of the tuners are actually loose...

My advice is to take the guitar to a luither for a setup. New strings, adjust the truss rod, clean the finish, file the nut and adjust the bridge. Then if there's still a problem after that you can more likely make sure it isn't that the guitar just isn't in good shape. Maybe you need to change the tuners completely after all they are more than a few years old.

My advice is to take the guitar to a luither for a setup. New strings, adjust the truss rod, clean the finish, file the nut and adjust the bridge. Then if there's still a problem after that you can more likely make sure it isn't that the guitar just isn't in good shape. Maybe you need to change the tuners completely after all they are more than a few years old.

There's no pickups behind the nut so turn the amp up? Failing that, a hair tie around the headstock, between nut and both E machine heads works nicely.

Or a ciga...oh! it's 2014! Nevermind.

rct

I've not really noticed such a thing myself but I've heard of it and I've heard alot of folks that use that little hair band trick...

I suspect I should probably check my tuner fastening nuts, I've never put a wrench on one in my life and have not doubt some of them could be a touch loose...

Does the sound get projected thru the amp? If not I wouldn't worry too much other than to make sure none of the tuners are actually loose...

To be completely honest, I'm not sure. I practice quietly in my home office/beat laboratory through a tube amp, and that's where I hear it. I use the same tube amp at band practice, but at band practice I use earplugs, so I haven't even thought to check to see if it's indeed happening. I wanna say that it's not the case, but I'll be sure to listen for it at my next practice.

The recent days I observed the ringing of the string portions outside the scale length of my guitars thoroughly. I can confirm now that it's just as I posted in #6. Some ring like hell, in particular G3rds between nut and machine head, others less. Two of my Les Paus, one of my L6Ses and two of my Telecasters ring louder than all the others, but no guitar without a Floyd Rose double-locking system is free of that.

All in all it's not a shortcoming I think. I was talking to bandmates about it, and they also reported they know it well.

Just keep on rocking, mate, no reason for worrying! [biggrin][thumbup]

1414092410[/url]' post='1581249']

I have a 1996 Les Paul Studio that is exhibiting a strange tonal issue.

When I play a note (any note) and immediately mute the strings with my left hand, I hear a ringing. I've determined that it's coming from the machine head side of the strings, on the machine head side of the nut. If what I'm saying makes no sense, imagine plucking the machine head end of the strings, you hear a strange almost harmonic, high pitched note dischord note. It happens every time I play a standard tune. I've also narrowed it down to this part of the strings as I've tried putting a piece of felt under that part of the strings to mute them and sure enough, it prevents the issue. I don't want to put anything there, though.

All of my strings are seated properly, yet this guitar has not been set up by anyone. I bought it used and it plays great. Has a wonderful tone, but I have changed the strings. (Ernie Ball Super Slinky 10s). Is there something I can do besides using a piece of material there? Is it a truss rod issue?

I haven't taken it to a shop yet because I'm trying to keep cost down and I'm not sure what it would cost, were it something serious. Sorry if none of this makes any sense. :(

You have probaly already solved yer prob but..sounds like either something loose somewhere at the headstock or....loose truss rod.....set the guitar on the bonus/ bottom of the guitar ,balanced on the strap peg on a hard surface. Hold the guitar by the body with one hand.neck sticking straight up in the air...without holding the neck at all...knock all around the neck..listen for a rattle..if so...make sure everything is tight on the headstock..if it is...it's probably the truss rod..it won't realy hurt anything lest you have to tighten a lot over the years to keep the neck straight...well anyway..for what ever it might be worth..hope this might help...peace

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry to bump an old thread but I wanted to give an update. Last night I finally got around to using this specific guitar and my amp together. It'd been a while since I'd been using a Special I sort of fell in love with (gotta love those necks) and had been ignoring this Studio. Anyway, I noticed last night that the ringing does indeed happen at louder volumes and I can hear it through my amp. I truly have no idea what is causing this! Last night in a pinch I resorted to using a cable tie strap (hook and loop) that I had handy, but the rest of the strap ended up hanging down and getting in the way of my left hand. So today I've gone with the stretchy hair band thing between the nut and low/high E tuners. I know this is a simple and barely cosmetic fix but having that thing there just irks me. I like my baby nice and stock looking. :(

I havent had the time/money to take it to a luthier, or to get it set up but Ive a big show that I want to use this guitar on coming up so I'll likely end up doing that soon.

EDIT: Also, thanks for the suggestion knucklebut. I tried this and heard no rattling. But many thanks for the suggestion!

1417121873[/url]' post='1595823']

Sorry to bump an old thread but I wanted to give an update. Last night I finally got around to using this specific guitar and my amp together. It'd been a while since I'd been using a Special I sort of fell in love with (gotta love those necks) and had been ignoring this Studio. Anyway, I noticed last night that the ringing does indeed happen at louder volumes and I can hear it through my amp. I truly have no idea what is causing this! Last night in a pinch I resorted to using a cable tie strap (hook and loop) that I had handy, but the rest of the strap ended up hanging down and getting in the way of my left hand. So today I've gone with the stretchy hair band thing between the nut and low/high E tuners. I know this is a simple and barely cosmetic fix but having that thing there just irks me. I like my baby nice and stock looking. :(

I havent had the time/money to take it to a luthier, or to get it set up but Ive a big show that I want to use this guitar on coming up so I'll likely end up doing that soon.

EDIT: Also, thanks for the suggestion knucklebut. I tried this and heard no rattling. But many thanks for the suggestion!

Np np the only other thing I can think of that it might be is...ghost ringing it is also refered to as sitar effect, from either the strings to the headstock just behind the nut or at the tail piece. Try putting a piece of tape on the top of the strings on either end of the guitar.

Find a small one of those silicone/rubber wrist bands for children in some cool design or matching color scheme and see if you like that better. I've seen some guitarists using something similar to that lately...

Something you like better or a colored rubber band or something similar like that which is more to your liking or has some sentimental value to you...

I've never had this problem with any Gibson (and I've owned many of them over the decades), but my Fender Telecaster has a problem with the G string where it will ring above the nut (especially when strumming and then muting open G chords). It was driving me crazy, but I fixed it completely by putting a small dab of vasoline on the part of the string leading from the nut to the post. This "fix" has to be reapplied every time I change strings, but it's fast to do and completely invisible.

Archived