Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson J-45

Heck Wilson

Hello, I recently bought a new Gibson J-45. This is the biggest guitar purchase I have ever made. I can't really bond with it and so I'm thinking maybe I'm not a Gibson guy. I still have the original strings on it so I was wondering if they are dead. I think I good set up would help a lot as well. I'm just not blown away by it but it is one beautiful guitar. Any suggestions? I was going to send it back for a Martin but it would be a pain in *** since I got it from zzzounds.com. I'm just hoping it will open up or something.

Thanks for the response. I was thinking the same thing. I think a new set of strings will help so I will try that first before sending her back. It is a well made beautiful guitar though. Gibson doesn't mess around.

guitars are like women

(or men , if youre a woman)

if it doenst feel right from the off then it's probably not the right thing for ya.

but change the strings and whack it for a day or two and see what happens

Well I'm currently a bass player in a rock trio but I've been doing acoustic shows with the guitar player. I was playing his Gibson Jumbo for a while. I have a cheap Epiphone acoustic I've been playing for 10 years on the couch. It's pretty much the knock off of the J45 so I thought it was time for the real thing. We do our own songs plus covers of Gillian Welch, Flying Burrito Bros, Tom Petty, The Replacements, etc. I like to finger pick a little as well. The J45 just seems a little small for my hands but maybe I'll get use to it.

What sort of stuff you play?

Welcome.

You might want to ask the members who own a J-45 for string recommendations - sometimes the brand and gauge can make a noticeable improvement. Hopefully the new strings will give it the boost you're looking for. You might have a Gibby that will take a while to open up. If you don't want to sit your money on the possibility the guitar will open up, as BBG mentioned, probably best to return it and get your money back. Keep us posted.

Well I'm currently a bass player in a rock trio but I've been doing acoustic shows with the guitar player. I was playing his Gibson Jumbo for a while. I have a cheap Epiphone acoustic I've been playing for 10 years on the couch. It's pretty much the knock off of the J45 so I thought it was time for the real thing. We do our own songs plus covers of Gillian Welch, Flying Burrito Bros, Tom Petty, The Replacements, etc. I like to finger pick a little as well. The J45 just seems a little small for my hands but maybe I'll get use to it.

I find the standard J-45 standard and TV's too small and narrow also. Maybe look out for a j-45 banner 42 reissue or a J-45 legend to exchange with? They both have big chunky necks and sound wonderful. The john hiatt j-45 is also pretty awesome.

This is what often happens when ordering online without playing first. I've been looking for a good J-45 Standard for a while but unfortunately every one I've played has been less than inspirational. I played four J-35s before finding a great one. As has been suggested, try different strings first and see if the tone improves. After trying many different strings on my J-35, I put a set of Martin Retro lights on it and really opened up its personality. It sounds amazing. But then, my J-35 sounded great from the beginning. It just sounds better now with the Retros.

Good luck!

DC

I was going to send it back for a Martin but it would be a pain in *** since I got it from zzzounds.com. I'm just hoping it will open up or something.

Zzounds has a great return policy: 45 days from the day you received the item. I've never had a problem returning anything to them or to their sister store American Musical Supply.

However, I was in the same position as you in that I bought a guitar that just didn't do it for me. However I never returned it hoping that it would mature or something. It didn't.

My Hummingbird had me ready to send it back because of minor flaws in the finish. After inspecting it, a friend of mine who owns 20 guitars (literally) threatened me with grievous bodily harm if I did. I still have my 'Bird and I thank God continually that I didn't send it back.

As to opening up, I think the consensus here is that opening up can definitely happen on good guitars; however, it isn't a night and day type change. It's subtle but noticeable. It doesn't seem as if a subtle change is what you're looking for, tho.

Bang on it for awhile (carefully...) then make up your mind. Let us know how this turns out.

FMA

I bought my first Hummingbird online and I didn't click with it, but kept it, thinking I might find the magic combination of strings and age. I eventually traded it for another guitar I sold. The only acoustic guitars I've loved without playing first are my LG1 and LG3. Which is a good thing, since the likelihood of finding one nearby at the right $$ is almost nil.

As for J-45s, I liked the TV model I played at Russo's in Asbury Park, NJ and there was one standard in Alto Music in Poughkeepsie that had it going on. But the other ones I've played didn't do anything for me.

I'd try couple brands of strings (assuming it isn't the feel of the guitar that's bothering you) and see if the sound becomes to your liking. Otherwise, send her back.

I use Martin SP 80/20 Bronze strings. 12s or 12.5s if I can find them. I own 39 guitars. Some I have immediately bonded with, some took a short while, some a long while, some maybe never. The initial bonding or non- bonding can be a matter of excitement or too high of an expectation at first over the new purchase. The real bonding occurs when you find it helps to play music better and express your music in ways you had not thought of before. Then, its truly an instrument that lets you come out through it. That sometimes takes time to occur. Just my experience.

Jazzman Jeff aka QM

I want to thank everyone for the awesome responses. It really means a lot because this is my first purchase of a serious instrument. The weirdest thing happened when I got home from work today. I picked up my Gibson and just started strumming. I just played a G chord open. Next thing I knew I had wrote a song. The pressures of work and everything else just fell into place in this amazing instrument from Montana. You ever have the feeling there is something there but it's hiding? After three solid hours of playing, I'm honored to be a part of the Gibson family. I attached a pic of my beloved Epiphone DR-100 and the newest member, Marcella.

I want to thank everyone for the awesome responses. It really means a lot because this is my first purchase of a serious instrument. The weirdest thing happened when I got home from work today. I picked up my Gibson and just started strumming. I just played a G chord open. Next thing I knew I had wrote a song. The pressures of work and everything else just fell into place in this amazing instrument from Montana. You ever have the feeling there is something there but it's hiding? After three solid hours of playing, I'm honored to be a part of the Gibson family. I attached a pic of my beloved Epiphone DR-100 and the newest member, Marcella.

So you gonna keep it?? I hope so I am glad it clicked with you...I just recently bought a J-45 as well and it just keeps growing on you so hang in there...Nice looking guitar.. [thumbup]

Heck, I think the first day or two, with only a couple of hours on any new to you guitar, you are adjusting. Listening for what it sounds li,e in a critical way, and not just leaning back and laying into her. You might be comparing it to your Other guitar and just noticing differences, not appreciating them as being improvements. I got a new J45 a few months ago. I'm still processing the fact it is different than my other two. That is precisely why I got it,Mali have to keep reminding my self (less and less often now) that different is better. Let us know what you decide. G'Luck.

Heck, the experimental phase begins now. Try some different strings and see what works best for your new guitar. It could be you will like the Gibson Masterbuilt strings that come one it. But you might also prefer Martins, D'Addario's, Elixir's.... I keep Gibsons on my Southern Jumbo.

[Yeah it definitely needs new strings. I recorded with it last night and it really sounded great. When I first got it I think it had new string syndrome so it sounded very clanky. Now it's very warm *Gibson* sounding. But the strings are dead. Anyway, I think I will experiment with some strings. I read people like DR Sunbeams on J45s. I currently have John Pearse on the Epi but I think I might try something different for the Gibson.

quote name=DenverSteve' timestamp='1414252923' post='1582086]

Heck, the experimental phase begins now. Try some different strings and see what works best for your new guitar. It could be you will like the Gibson Masterbuilt strings that come one it. But you might also prefer Martins, D'Addario's, Elixir's.... I keep Gibsons on my Southern Jumbo.

I have a 94 J-45 VS that I bought on ebay about a year ago, when I first received it I thought I had made a mistake....I'm glad I waited because that guitar has been more inspiring to me than an other I've ever owned. I think at first the 'deal' I got made me suspicious of it, it just seemed to good to be true but after a few string changes and some time playing it I realized the thing was built for ME, that must be why the owner I purchased it from didn't want it. I settled with Elixir mediums nonoweb coating. The only bad thing I can now find about my J45 is I can't put it down once I get it in my hands, I truly love this guitar...why is that bad you ask? because I'm a slave to it I have many other tasks around my place that I am charged with and this thing just won't let me alone long enough to do 'em.lol Luckily for me my wife actually likes my playing (the guitar that is) and doesn't hassle me to much about the other chores I should be doing. The moral of the story is give yourself time to come to 'it' I think you'll be glad you did.

So for ten years you have been playing the knock off J45 Epiphone, and were pretty happy with it, ten years is a long time. Here is what I find fascinating....I also have been using an Epi knock off model of the J45...(the new Epiphone AJ200S--V/S) And love it, highly impressed with it, almost rate it as a 10.....so I decided I would check out several local Gibson J45's with the intent if buying one of them....I have yet to find a Gibson J45 that sounds as good to me as my AJ220S--V/S for $199. Yes, I dare to write the unspeakable in here. A whisper falls over the crowd, a hush of horror as the fans turn bitter, Let the bashing in here begin. I could care less. That is what I found. There may be a Gibson J45 out there somewhere for me....but the search for a good one has begun to negate getting one at all. I might suggest you try the simple Epiphone AJ220S--V/S...you may find yourself scratching your head in wonder...at the high quality, full, open, pure tone it produces....and you may get 10 more years of wonderful sound! Good luck ...GL

Archived