Gibson Brands Forums

New Gibson (non memory) cable

Rabs

GibsonPureCable_zps18f79a6b.jpg

After all, it’s not like there’s some great cable shortage. But Gibson is introducing a line of Gibson Pure cables, and in typical Gibson fashion, these cables feature innovative technology that takes them way out of the “me-too” category.

Silent plugging/unplugging from your instrument. There are other “silent” cables, but Gibson’s design is simple and reliable. Instead of using magnets and relays to produce a silent plug, a spring-loaded ring shorts the hot conductor to ground when unplugged. Plugging in or unplugging gives zero noise, and when unplugged, minimizes amp noise too.

Virtually no handling noise—even with super-high-gain amps. For me, this is the breakthrough feature because I like high-gain amps and effects, and moving the cable around always created noise. Tested against other cables, Gibson Pure Cables offer significantly lower handling noise levels—up to 30 dB lower—across the frequency spectrum. Mostly this improvement comes from a new type of insulation design within the cable, but the copper braid shield helps too.

graph_cable-comparison_smaller_zpsbea530c5.jpg

This graph shows handling noise tests with the Gibson Pure cable (purple line) compared to three competitive cables (Click here to view the graph at full resolution).

No static crackles . The cable has a semi-conductive PVC shield, so you don’t hear clicks or pops from handling the cable in low-humidity environments.

Optimized tone. Some “designer” cables dull the highs because the cable’s internal capacitance acts like a secondary tone control. Gibson Pure cables have capacitance designed specifically to retain the tone of passive guitar pickups.

Lifetime warranty. I haven’t had to take advantage of it, but given how much cables have to endure I’m pretty impressed Gibson offers a lifetime warranty.

After evaluating these cables for the past several months, they definitely outperform cables I’ve used in the past. The lack of handling noise is a huge plus when playing on stage, but it’s also welcome when recording using high-gain effects boxes like distortion, or feeding amp sims in a computer. Recording always puts noise “under the microscope,” so the dramatic noise decrease is great for the studio.

So yes, the world does need another guitar cable—if it’s this one.

For more information: http://store.gibson.com/instrument-cables/

Looks like a top quality cable and all that copper is definitely great (and contributes to the cost factor). The zero noise aspect is extremely appealing.

I just don't get the gold plating when copper is a far superior conductor. It is harder so it lasts longer and doesn't oxidize but what about the trade-off?

I don't use it for home audio/video as in most cases, its just a slightly more expensive plug on the cheapest possible cable. [sneaky] (I know there are exceptions)

Index to articles This site may open some eyes, especially concerning most currently available for home use Co-axial cable (not this Gibson cable). There is also a good explanation of balanced/unbalanced circuits.

Does it perform better for a connection that is constantly plugged in and unplugged?

Seriously... have I just answered my own question? [confused] Somebody school me.

Σß

Cable noise is part of my trademark tone...

I laughed!

And who needs a cable to make popping noises? I can do that on my own.......[blush]

Seriously? I think they will have made sure it will fit in both the Tele and Strat sockets. Mad not to have done so.

And the short one was less expensive than I was expecting having first read the blurb.

I don't need one myself but I can imagine that if it's as heavy-duty as claimed and lasts a long, long time then the purchase price matters less for the gigging muso.

Nice.

P.

Guest Farnsbarns

Looks like a top quality cable and all that copper is definitely great (and contributes to the cost factor). The zero noise aspect is extremely appealing.

I just don't get the gold plating when copper is a far superior conductor. It is harder so it lasts longer and doesn't oxidize but what about the trade-off?

I don't use it for home audio/video as in most cases, its just a slightly more expensive plug on the cheapest possible cable. [sneaky] (I know there are exceptions)

Index to articles This site may open some eyes, especially concerning most currently available for home use Co-axial cable (not this Gibson cable). There is also a good explanation of balanced/unbalanced circuits.

Does it perform better for a connection that is constantly plugged in and unplugged?

Seriously... have I just answered my own question? [confused] Somebody school me.

Σß

Copper doesn't oxidise? Better think of another name for copper oxide then, and harder? When did you last wear out a jack plug through friction? And a better conductor, no it isn't, not that conductivity is why they use it. Stainless steel is probably the most sensible choice taking cost into account but copper would be dreadful as it does oxidise and copper oxide is quite nasty.

Copper doesn't oxidise? Better think of another name for copper oxide then, and harder? When did you last wear out a jack plug through friction? And a better conductor, no it isn't, not that conductivity is why they use it. Stainless steel is probably the most sensible choice taking cost into account but copper would be dreadful as it does oxidise and copper oxide is quite nasty.

I meant the GOLD is harder... doh #-o ... please pardon my syntax.

Σß

Archived