Gibson Brands Forums

What model Gibson

slk

Did they have the trapezoid inlays??? I know he has always played an archtop. Saw him only one time with a Fender and it looked out of place.....

Well the one above does.. Depends on the exact model...

Theres also a dot version like this brand new one they have released recently

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/ES/Gibson-Memphis/ES-335-Lemon-Burst.aspx

Wow I like that one. Kind of what I was wondering if the 335 had dots or not. Guess it can and does.

Heres a nerdy pointless fact about the 335...

In the film Back to the Future... Marty McFly goes back to 1955 and plays a 335 on the stage near the end of the film..

BUT the guitar must have been a time traveller too since they didn't start production until 1958 :)

Nerdy.. I know ;)

Heres a nerdy pointless fact about the 335...

In the film Back to the Future... Marty McFly goes back to 1955 and plays a 335 on the stage near the end of the film..

BUT the guitar must have been a time traveller too since they didn't start production until 1958 :)

Nerdy.. I know ;)

ha! no kidding!

when we first watched this film (doesn't seem that long ago) when that part came on, I just looked at my wife and said "well they screwed this up, that guitar didn't exist in 1955"

so she said "you know you're like the only one on the planet that knows this or for that fact cares right?"

and now thanks to Mr Rabs,, I can prove just how wrong she was!!!

ha! no kidding!

when we first watched this film (doesn't seem that long ago) when that part came on, I just looked at my wife and said "well they screwed this up, that guitar didn't exist in 1955"

so she said "you know you're like the only one on the planet that knows this or for that fact cares right?"

Same here, except her answer was "Ron, it is just a movie you know, not a documentary about the history of the Great American guitar makers."

Something like that.

[laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] !!!!!!!

rct

Guest Farnsbarns

ha! no kidding!

and now thanks to Mr Rabs,, I can prove just how wrong she was!!!

Me too!

Same here, except her answer was "Ron, it is just a movie you know, not a documentary about the history of the Great American guitar makers."

Something like that.

[laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] !!!!!!!

rct

Me too!

They look like the small rectangle inlays to me. Rectangle inlays and a stop tailpiece were normal for an early 60s 335.

Yup.. in looking further at that vid I reckon you are right... So 335s have dots, trapizoids and rectangles.... NICE!! [thumbup]

Yup.. in looking further at that vid I reckon you are right... So 335s have dots, trapizoids and rectangles.... NICE!! [thumbup]

Fancy split ones too I think I remember, on the Trini Lopez.

rct

...So 335s have dots, trapezoids and rectangles.... NICE!! [thumbup]

The ES-3(hundred) series had an interesting mix of inlays throughout the range.

As well as the dots and small blocks of the 335 the 345 had the split-parallelogram style; the 355 had the large blocks and the early '70s 330 had solid small parallelograms.

I'm not sure any of the original series the ever had traps, Rabs, but I could very well be mistaken.

Fancy split ones too I think I remember, on the Trini Lopez.

The 335-sized T-R 'Standard' had diagonally split diamond-shaped inlays which echoed the diamond-shaped sound-holes.

Not sure about the 3" deep version which was called, I think, the T-R 'DeLuxe'.

The Trini Lopez was interesting on many counts not least the Firebird headstock.

P.

I seem to remember quite a few Trinis around when I was a kid. I know I played three or four of them. You just don't seem them anymore, I guess they were pretty good and people have held onto them.

rct

Archived