Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson J-15

Randmo

Awesome post! Glad to hear it Randmo.

I already have two Gibsons and two Martin 15 series, and not to mention a cheap resonator and a uke - so, already too many. There is no more room!

But damn I liked the J15s I have played, and there is something just nice and honest about the standard bracing/voicing, as well as the walnut. Hope you love it more each year.

I got my J-15 in February, and I am still loving it. My poor J-200 has not been getting much play time lately.

Don't get me wrong, the J-200 is a joy to play, still on the honey moon with the J-15 I guess.

Come on Sal, one more Gibson can't hurt!

My J15 seems louder than before. Same strings, but it's got a really deep bottom end to it. Not as warm as the J45 and Hummingbird, but the walnut has its own tone. It's quite a guitar. If anyone tells you that Gibson cut corners on quality and the Gibson sound on the J15, tell them they're full-of-crap, because they are.

No solid wood.

Ian

This can be a confusing response. By "No solid wood", I read it to literally mean it's not solid wood. If it were "No, solid wood" (with a comma) I would read to mean it's solid wood. Sorry, it's the magazine proofer in me. O:)

BTW Randmo, that's beautiful walnut! I played a J-15 recently at GC and the wood wasn't nearly as pretty.

DC

I have had my J-15 since very early this year as well and it has opened up tremendously. It was bought through Sweetwater and the figuring on it is very gorgeous. I play it almost every day and it sure is hard to put down. I have Elixir Nanoweb lights on her, which is about the 4th different set I have tried, and I like them the best by far.

I have had my J-15 since very early this year as well and it has opened up tremendously.

I've also had mine since early this year. The guitar itself has a serial number date of 1/2/14.

With the promise of a somewhat different tone due to the use of walnut, it seemed like a nice way to round out the acoustic collection. Of course there will be variations from one instrument to the next, but if you find a good J-15, I would consider it to be one of the best buys on the market.

This can be a confusing response. By "No solid wood", I read it to literally mean it's not solid wood. If it were "No, solid wood" (with a comma) I would read to mean it's solid wood. Sorry, it's the magazine proofer in me. O:)

BTW Randmo, that's beautiful walnut! I played a J-15 recently at GC and the wood wasn't nearly as pretty.

DC

My apologies for my poor punctuation DC. Incidentally, that's the second time this week I've been pulled up on this forum for my punctuation or typing errors, very sloppy! I do think we should spend time correcting peoples English errors on the forum, but I think we'd be rather busy.

Ian

I got lucky, I've seem some ugly ones and some that didn't soud good

Completely. I have looked at a few in guitar shops here in Tulsa that looked plain. They all sounded good though! I think that we, as early buyers, got a couple of J-15's that are great both visually and tonally!

veneer?

:-s

A single slice of solid wood is called "Veneer". Guitar tops and backs made of a single layer of wood have solid tops made of veneer. Plywood or laminated wood is made of several layers of veneer glued together.

I didn't mean no disrespect.

Archived