Gibson Brands Forums

Makes me wonder?

I subscribe to StewMac's Trade Secrets. This one came today....

http://www.stewmac.c...urce=newsletter

I beg to wonder how a tune-o-matic bridge could be set " this'' far off from the factory in 1964.....and not been addressed til now?

Would it not have been un-tuneable as new also?

It is a beautifull ES 330 TDC... I presume!

I agree! Dan Erlewine is right up there at the top along with Frank Ford et al.....I wish I had half of the savvy. I keep reading and hope that some sinks in....

But seriously, was the bridge set that far off as new (in anyones opinion) OR has the neck and body 'folded up' to create that shortage of scale length with time? That is crazy....

That was an interesting one. I have to admit it's pretty surprising to see a bridge that far out of position, but I've seen it on acoustics before.

His solution is a clever one, but I'm surprised he didn't drill and tap the thumbscrew and just use a 6-32 stud, so he could screw it back into the top of the guitar properly, rather than jamming a threaded wood screw into a straight hole in the thumbscrew. It would be dead simple to make this with a drill press, and maybe a bit more elegant. But this obviously did the job, and was probably faster.

I really enjoy Dan's videos, and always learn from them.

Archived