Gibson Brands Forums

Possible new SG cracked headstock

turtle

Hey all, I'm new to the SG world. I was wondering what an SG faded with the bat pickguard and 490 pickups WITH a cracked headstock goes for? I was working construction and found in a control room of a studio, a faded SG unstrung with no bridge and tail, cracked headstock laying against wall with cables on it and basically thrown to the side on a pile of junk. I asked if it was up for grabs as I love a good project, and would love to get on the SG boat. The guy said yes. What do I offer? New at music zoo they're 600 bucks. I figure no bridge, tail, and broken headstock someone already tried to nail on, and scrapes and a tiny bit of marker that looks like a signature, but on close inspection it looks like a kid with a marker got a hold of it. Not a big spot but there. Do I say give it to me as it's been literally thrown away or do I try to be fair and offer something. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Cheers -

Turtle

With the words "cracked headstock", definitely not worth it no matter what.

rct

rct, I wouldn't say not worth it, no matter what because of the "cracked headstock". I had my 2011 SG Standard knocked off of a guitar stand during a gig (I was

at the time playing my CS-336 when the SG got knocked over) and the headstock snapped right off. It was a clean break. I brought it to a respected luthier in the

area I live in and he fixed it so you would not know it without looking closely. The SG now actually plays better than it di before. Go figure.

rct, I wouldn't say not worth it, no matter what because of the "cracked headstock". I had my 2011 SG Standard knocked off of a guitar stand during a gig (I was

at the time playing my CS-336 when the SG got knocked over) and the headstock snapped right off. It was a clean break. I brought it to a respected luthier in the

area I live in and he fixed it so you would not know it without looking closely. The SG now actually plays better than it di before. Go figure.

Right, I know, broken headstocks can be dealt with, especially when you've been using it awhile and love it.

But not when yer starting way behind with a guitar that has a "cracked stock" that has already had someone "try to nail it on", no bridge or tailpiece, no idea the condition of the pickups, pots, and switch. If it's abandoned for any length of time the crummy tuners gotta go. It's a faded SG, it isn't like you can't find a decent platform of a faded SG used for pretty cheap that has all the parts, works and doesn't have a busted headstock. I guess that's what I was trying to say, pass on it, there are just too many of them for cheap that are a better starting point for working on to suit.

rct

Right, I know, broken headstocks can be dealt with, especially when you've been using it awhile and love it.

But not when yer starting way behind with a guitar that has a "cracked stock" that has already had someone "try to nail it on", no bridge or tailpiece, no idea the condition of the pickups, pots, and switch. If it's abandoned for any length of time the crummy tuners gotta go. It's a faded SG, it isn't like you can't find a decent platform of a faded SG used for pretty cheap that has all the parts, works and doesn't have a busted headstock. I guess that's what I was trying to say, pass on it, there are just too many of them for cheap that are a better starting point for working on to suit.

rct

rct, thanks for the clarification on your comment. Yes. it does make a difference in the condition of the rest of the guitar. In my case, my SG Standard was relatively new.

The only damage done on the fall was the headstock crack. As I said, I was fortunate enough to come across a good luthier who knew what he was doing when he repaired it

and my SG plays as if nothing ever happened to it ( and pretty much looks that way, too)

Tough to say...

If it was on a pile of junk and abandoned to be relegated to a trash heap, I find it funny that the guy suddenly sees your interest and now it's worth something to him...

If he gives it to you or you trade some relatively meaningless labor or chore for it that would seem like something reasonable...

If it strikes your fancy as a project go for it, but if the owner is going to string you along for whatever he can get out of it, toss it in the dumpster in front of him...

You can find a project anywhere!

Hey guys, I picked up the SG for 250. Was that a good deal. jOKINg!!!!!!! The guy let me have it. I think he was trying to get money from me but I explained to him, it literally was under cables and milk crates. So the project begins........

here's what I found:

Broken headstock split. With gorilla glue and tried to nail together but was split open

Bottom Horn chipped but glued back. Wasn't that bad... but still

Truss rod cover broke

Neck fingerboard filthy but little to no fret wear

Pickups and electronics all in tact and nicely wired from gibson

2007 model

ONE piece body!!!!

Black Marker scribble near arm rest.

Fixed: truss rod cover with crazy glue

Headstock cleaned clamped and glued denailed

Cleaned neck and oiled fretboard

Cleaned guitar completely with elbow grease

Checked over rest of guitar and all good

Declamped headstock today and seems stable. Cleaned exess glue and Reclamped till I get the tail and bridge. Keep you all posted if you want :). Thanks. Turtle

Either that or TonePros, the Stuff from the Gibson store might be a little cheaper than the Tonepros.

cjsinla, I originally replaced the bad ABR-1 bridge on my CS-336 with a Gibson one; ordered over the phone through customer service.

I didn't like it. The retainer wire on that one rattled, too. I don't know what they do with the TonePros to make it better, but I

have had no problem with the bridge since I got that one and put it on.

Archived