Gibson Brands Forums

Byrdland and Midtown Kalamazoo question?

mountain2012

Gibson's site says,

"the Midtown Kalamazoo takes its cue from another legendary archtop electric that featured an equally innovative “hybrid” design in its time: the Byrdland."

What do they mean by "hybrid design"? What are they referring to?

I also see all over the web that the MK is a semi-hollow with solid center block contrary to what Gibson's product page says:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Designer/Gibson-USA/Midtown-Kalamazoo.aspx

Personal opinion here is that the 'hybrid' aspect refers to the design cues from more than one type of guitar...ie...shallow hollow body and short scale fretboard

Which at it's instigation, the Byrdland exhibited...

Yes it is a hollow body... [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

The Midtown Kalamazoo is a hybrid design, even more than the Byrdland (not saying it's better, just more hybrid). I think it refers in the case of the Brydland to the short scale design coupled with a hollowbody. That makes the bridge move forward towards the neck, reduces the distance between frets, and pushes the pickups a bit closer together. I think in the case of the MK, the short scale length is similar to the Byrdland, the body is hollowed out mahogany, but seems to have a center block like the other Midtown line guitars so it is sort of a hybrid cross between a semihollow and a Les Paul, but with a short scale neck.

Yes it is a hollow body... [thumbup]

V

Are you sure it's a hollow body? These people don't seem to think so.

"Although the description isn't clear, I emailed Wildwood and they said it does have a center block, with the Byrdland scale."

"First of all it is a semi hollow body, having a center block. Thus, feedback is minimal."

"I can't see a center block, but I can feel one."

"Definately not a hollow body. THe back is a carved out mahogony slab with center block."

"It's a bit on the heavy side with the center block or un-milled section(more likely) down the middle."

Thankyou Mr mountain....yes my mistake... [thumbup]

Another manifestation of the 'hybrid' aspects to the guitar

And a reason why the guitar is so cheap...not being inferior in any way... [thumbup]

A true hollow archtop IMO would have required more man hours and 'craft' to build...

A great guitar which I would be happy to possess

V

Definitely not a hollowbody. There is material left in the center from the carving. The guitar is heavy compared to semihollows and hollows, but is light compared to Les Pauls. Mine weighs in at a little more than 8 lbs.

Mine is my primary gigging guitar. Great reliability, great playability, great Classic 57 Pup tones that land it somewhere near vintage LP sound with a tiny bit of semihollow feel.

Here's a response to an email I sent to Gibson. They are quick to respond.

"The Gibson Midtown Kalamazoo model had a solid mahogany back which is routed to have sound chambers on either side of the body. The mahogany body is routed in such a way as to have a center-block. Thanks."

Seems a little vague. Do you guys interpret that as them saying there IS a solid center block?

Here's a response to an email I sent to Gibson. They are quick to respond.

"The Gibson Midtown Kalamazoo model had a solid mahogany back which is routed to have sound chambers on either side of the body. The mahogany body is routed in such a way as to have a center-block. Thanks."

Seems a little vague. Do you guys interpret that as them saying there IS a solid center block?

Yes. There is.

It doesn't need an x-ray. Since it came out, anyone with any experience with guitars knew it was a semi. You can call it a hollowed out solid body if you want, maybe a filled in hollow would work for some. But you can't call it a hollowbody guitar.

rct

Archived