Gibson Brands Forums

Best Les Paul Model for 2014

240SX

I apologize if this question has been asked numerous times but what is the best bang for the buck in the 2014 Epiphone Les Paul line up? Build, sound, finish, electronics, hardware, all should be considered. Thanks.

The one that sounds, looks, and feels best to you. That is the best Epi Les Paul.

I apologize if this question has been asked numerous times but what is the best bang for the buck in the 2014 Epiphone Les Paul line up? Build, sound, finish, electronics, hardware, all should be considered. Thanks.

I think one of the better deals is still the LP Tribute Plus. most of the Standard Pros are pretty good too.

The one with the best return policy if you are buying online, and the one in the store that feels and plays best for you. On a recent outing to GC, there were probably 15 Epiphone Les Pauls of all kinds in one area. I probably spent less than one minute with more that half of them for a variety of reasons. You need to try them.

rct

How much $ to you have to invest in a 2014 Epiphone guitar ? I really like the Guitar Center $89.00 LP Special 1's...great value there. After a good set up and neck oiling, they do "play" as good as my Gibsons...which is a lol in itself...lol

I'd like to stick around the $500-600 CDN mark. I'm thinking the Standard Pro may suit my needs/wants. I went to a local shop today on my lunch break and played a few of those, they felt really nice in hand. The vintage sunburst is the color that really caught my attention. I'm a primarily blues player and that classic look/color really appeals to me.

The best bang for the buck is the Tribute Plus and it will remain the best value until it is either discontinued or replaced with some other model. If you are buying used, which I have always done, you can not buy a better Epi than an Elitist or other MiJ Les Paul. May take a bit of time to find one, but it would be time well spent.

You know why there are so many Les Paul's........................................ Because every body has there own taste . But for bang for the buck the Les Paul standard plus Top Pro is a great value same guitar as the Tribute.But the Tribute has Gibson pickups . And the Plus Top epiphone pro has the Pro pickup i think in my opinion are as good as the Gibson . Look at my post of the Les Paul standard plus top pro in dirty lemon .Tell me that's not a nice Les Paul . I have 6 Les Paul's and i love them all.

I brought a 1960's tribute plus a few months back, and it's probably my best guitar for the money, £529 with a hard case, it looks stunning it plays beautifully and the gibson pickups sound really nice, the finish was pretty much spot on quality wise, I can't fault it.

You know why there are so many Les Paul's........................................ Because every body has there own taste . But for bang for the buck the Les Paul standard plus Top Pro is a great value same guitar as the Tribute.But the Tribute has Gibson pickups . And the Plus Top epiphone pro has the Pro pickup i think in my opinion are as good as the Gibson . Look at my post of the Les Paul standard plus top pro in dirty lemon .Tell me that's not a nice Les Paul . I have 6 Les Paul's and i love them all.

They are not the same guitar. The Tribute Plus has a long tenon, Standard Plus does not. Tribute Plus is also built using upgraded woods when compared to the rest of the line. Not to mention that it comes with Gibson pups and a hard case. This is not to say that the Standard Plus is not a good buy, it is, just as all Epis are great value for the price. But the best value for a new Epi LP, dollar for dollar, remains the Tribute Plus.

They are not the same guitar. The Tribute Plus has a long tenon, Standard Plus does not. Tribute Plus is also built using upgraded woods when compared to the rest of the line. Not to mention that it comes with Gibson pups and a hard case. This is not to say that the Standard Plus is not a good buy, it is, just as all Epis are great value for the price. But the best value for a new Epi LP, dollar for dollar, remains the Tribute Plus.

looks to me like they are the same woods .AAA top . And i am sure they are glued in the same place . The most differences is in the pick ups . And the Pro epiphones are some nice pickups . And a plus top is $499 and the case is $89. $587 for a nice epiphone . and 699 for a tribute. so you pay $112 for gibson pickups . In fact i think my Les Paul standard sounds better then my Tribute . That is my feelings about it and yours are different so enjoy . But the one that sounds the best is my Zoot Suit Les paul . There is something about the P90 sound and the dirty fingers in the bridge. And not to say my 2010 Epiphone Les paul has a sound all its own with the two P90 in her . And then there is my ultra 3 that has a sound all here own and she doesn't weight much. As i say all Les Pauls are great . And then i have this 1980 Heritage one of the last of the Les Pauls built in Kalamazoo Michigan talk about a rocker. I am just a old man that's been around the block and i have been playing guitar most of my life . Just enjoy your guitars and keep rocking[thumbup]Maybe you should try some new Epiphones . They have come a long way .

The Standard Plus tops do not have a long tenon. That is one feature that is very rare today, not even regular Gibsons have a long tenon. If it did have one, it would be listed in the specifications. The Tribute Plus is made on it's own separate line as is evidenced by having a unique serial number scheme not used on other Epiphone models. I'm not going to crow about how great the Gibson pups are because I am not a fan of them. If I was, I would have a set in my Elitist and not a set of Seth Lovers. If does not change the fact that they are of a much higher value, dollar wise, than the Epi pups in any other model guitar.

And the top is a veneer, like all Epi Les Pauls.

Like I said, this is not a matter of personal preference, it is a statement of fact. The best dollar value in the Epi line is the Tribute Plus. You may like another guitar better, or prefer a finish that is not available in the Tribute Plus, and that is perfectly fine. But it does not change the basic fact of the matter. The bottom line in any guitar discussion is this: Buy the guitar that YOU like the best, the one that sounds best to YOU, that feels best to YOU, the one that looks best to YOU, the one that fits YOUR budget, and everyone else be damned. Because you are the one who will be playing the guitar and the only person you need to please is YOURSELF.

The Standard Plus tops do not have a long tenon. That is one feature that is very rare today, not even regular Gibsons have a long tenon. If it did have one, it would be listed in the specifications. The Tribute Plus is made on it's own separate line as is evidenced by having a unique serial number scheme not used on other Epiphone models. I'm not going to crow about how great the Gibson pups are because I am not a fan of them. If I was, I would have a set in my Elitist and not a set of Seth Lovers. If does not change the fact that they are of a much higher value, dollar wise, than the Epi pups in any other model guitar.

And the top is a veneer, like all Epi Les Pauls.

Like I said, this is not a matter of personal preference, it is a statement of fact. The best dollar value in the Epi line is the Tribute Plus. You may like another guitar better, or prefer a finish that is not available in the Tribute Plus, and that is perfectly fine. But it does not change the basic fact of the matter. The bottom line in any guitar discussion is this: Buy the guitar that YOU like the best, the one that sounds best to YOU, that feels best to YOU, the one that looks best to YOU, the one that fits YOUR budget, and everyone else be damned. Because you are the one who will be playing the guitar and the only person you need to please is YOURSELF.

That is right ....

Archived