Gibson Brands Forums

LeGrand Vs Campallone Archtop

Dick Couture

Hello,

I recently had the opportunity to compare my Legrand with a Campallone Archtop and thought I'd share my opinion. I played both instruments acoustically; not through an amplifier. The Campallone was a wonderful instrument; very well constructed and lighter in weight than the Legrand. The action was superb and overall is a first class archtop guitar. However, the Legrand easily stood toe to toe with the Campallone. The action and playability were equally matched. Acoustically the Legrand sounded as good if not better.

Frankly, if I did not own the Legrand, a Campallone would be a desirable instrument, but there was not enough of a difference to make me want to make that change. In addition to great looks, the Gibson Legrand is a very special guitar that sounds great both acoustically and amplified.

Just my thoughts.

Your comparison doesn't surprise me a bit, and I mean that in the best way ! I looked into having one built by Marc, and if I lived closer to a dealer, I'd have probably gone ahead with it.

Your Gibson model justifiably commands a higher price, but that having been said, anyone can do a lot worse than buying one of Marc's instruments. They -Campellones - are where you find them, mostly on the east coast.

I think the sweet spot may be to find a used one that hadn't been played much - it'd be a great 'daily driver'.

And check out his bio - - I think I read somewhere he began by taking apart an older L-7, so he'd have a better idea what made them tick !

Thanks

I had never heard of Campellones guitars but looked them up and they certainly seem very nice.

Is it possible to say how a Gibson Legrand and a Campellones compare with Benedetto?

Hello,

I cannot compare either guitar with a Benedetto, however I do know the local dealer, The Music Emporium, Lexington MA, only receives 3 or 4 Campallone's a year and they are usually pre-sold. If you like Archtops, you would be very happy with either the LeGrand or Campallone Archtop.

How do those two compare for weight? also.. is the le Grande X Braced? what about the Camp? .. I bet the Camp has more a Chop , Volume,Tone than the Le Grande.

slimt,

As I said, the Campallone was lighter in weight than the LeGrand. However, the LeGrand felt more substantial. I was expecting the Campallone to have the edge on "chop, volume and tone", but after playing both side by side, I have to say the LeGrand was equally as good. In fact the local Campallone dealer didn't think the tonal differences were much at all. Both instruments are first rate Archtop guitars. Anyone who likes Archtops would be happy with either one.

How do those two compare for weight? also.. is the le Grande X Braced? what about the Camp? .. I bet the Camp has more a Chop , Volume,Tone than the Le Grande.

slimt,

As I said, the Campallone was lighter in weight than the LeGrand. However, the LeGrand felt more substantial. I was expecting the Campallone to have the edge on "chop, volume and tone", but after playing both side by side, I have to say the LeGrand was equally as good. In fact the local Campallone dealer didn't think the tonal differences were much at all. Both instruments are first rate Archtop guitars. Anyone who likes Archtops would be happy with either one.

Archived