Gibson Brands Forums

The RabsWood Guitar Durability test video

Rabs

Today I did something I have been thinking about for a while.. And that's (obviously by now) to test how strong my designs are and more importantly how strong the neck and headstock are.. The neck joint, well you expect that to go with enough bashing...

And well, I will let the video tell the rest of the story :)..

Also after that I did some testing on the Tru Oil finish to see just what it can take :)

See what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAugSbmJ66c

Considering the bashing it got, apart from the neck joint obviously, the damage wasn't too bad at all... Just a few scuffs around the edges (which as you will see next can be easily fixed)

DSC_0689_zps768a182f.jpg

DSC_0690_zps9eb9b33e.jpg

DSC_0692_zps991748ab.jpg

Headstock survived well I think

DSC_0691_zps38d4b67e.jpg

So after the scratch test, just to see, I did a really quick sand down, like a minutes worth.. and re-added some new oil on top of the scratches

DSC_0703_zps16209247.jpg

DSC_0704_zps2cf1641a.jpg

after just one coat of oil

DSC_0706_zps8f2427a0.jpg

TRU OIL ROCKS !!! :) [thumbup]

So there we go.. I pretty much got what I wanted out of that which was to test my headstock and necks.. As I say I knew the neck joint would go sooner or later.. And now I have this test to prove my designs work [thumbup]

WEll the headstock held. Did the neck just come unglued? The reason Gibson heads break is not only the lack of a scarf joint but also the material. Mahogany is a very weak wood especially when it's cut to a short grain as the Gibson neck down.

Yeah pretty much.. I could actually fix it if I wanted...

And this guitar is made of Oak... that's some freekin hard s**t...

:)

Oh yea, much tougher stuff that oak. Maple is much tougher too. That's why you rarely see a maple neck Gibson with a snapped head stock.

You could salvage the body now it look like. :-k

You could salvage the body now it look like. :-k

Actually you are right about that [thumbup]

But pretty soon my building is going to stop... I got enough pups and hardware for about 5 guitars... When I have all 5 that I feel are perfect guitars (well as perfect as I can get them anyway :)) I will start concentrating on the business side of things for a bit and see where I go from there..

Scary I tell you.. But exciting too.

First answer, as the guy I play on the internet:

NEEDS SUBTITLES CAN'T UNDERSTAND EUROPEAN.

Second answer, as a guitar player and actual person that hangs around here:

You Go. Since I'm not now nor ever have been in the business, hobby even, of building guitars, I truly admire your tenacity and thoroughness, no matter if from determination to follow it through to a real business or just idle curiosity about how guitars are made. I'm sorry to say I'm too lazy to go into business doing anything but sitting on the couch for myself(retirement), and I'm just curious enough to stop on that one cable channel I've never stopped on, but no more!

I truly and seriously wish you the absolute best in this. I hope you are able to follow your plan, make your 5, and from there, sell more than you can make, because that would be a great place to be. I think.

Jolly good show, Rabs, hopefully keep up the good work, hopefully continue showing us the steps on your path. Like another Brit about 15 years ago, I might surprise you by heading up to Philly airport, buying the correct amount of Pounds Sterling...Stirling...Sturling. Whatever. And sending it to you for one of them.

rct

First answer, as the guy I play on the internet:

NEEDS SUBTITLES CAN'T UNDERSTAND EUROPEAN.

Second answer, as a guitar player and actual person that hangs around here:

You Go. Since I'm not now nor ever have been in the business, hobby even, of building guitars, I truly admire your tenacity and thoroughness, no matter if from determination to follow it through to a real business or just idle curiosity about how guitars are made. I'm sorry to say I'm too lazy to go into business doing anything but sitting on the couch for myself(retirement), and I'm just curious enough to stop on that one cable channel I've never stopped on, but no more!

I truly and seriously wish you the absolute best in this. I hope you are able to follow your plan, make your 5, and from there, sell more than you can make, because that would be a great place to be. I think.

Jolly good show, Rabs, hopefully keep up the good work, hopefully continue showing us the steps on your path. Like another Brit about 15 years ago, I might surprise you by heading up to Philly airport, buying the correct amount of Pounds Sterling...Stirling...Sturling. Whatever. And sending it to you for one of them.

rct

Well... thank you as ever for the kind words....

And yes I am totally serious about all of this... the way I see it is if im to make a living from this I need to know all of these things about my designs... I know theres been many headstock breaks on Gibsons throughout the years and I actually make my headstocks as thick as the tuners will take and the area where headstock and neck meet as thick as I could 9without being too ugly) for this very reason.. And now I know for sure that its pretty sturdy.

If I am to demand someones hard earned cash for something I have made I need to be able to fully stand behind it. So for my own piece of mind I needed to do this.. And if someone is interested in buying one they can see it for themselves that I have actually tested it (all be it in a very non scientific way :)).. The purpose was really to simulate a stand drop which is the most likely thing to happen.. If anyone actually goes all Townshend on any guitar, well we all know the end result of that ;)

So yes we will all see very soon where this leads me or not as im now out of my development stage (for now anyway) and into the serious part.. the part that will tell if I keep doing this or not..

And if it doesn't work out then I have still learned a hell of a lot about guitars and can always do it just as a hobby or for friends etc... so its all good really.. [thumbup]

If I am to demand someones hard earned cash for something I have made I need to be able to fully stand behind it. So for my own piece of mind I needed to do this.. And if someone is interested in buying one they can see it for themselves that I have actually tested it (all be it in a very non scientific way :)).. The purpose was really to simulate a stand drop which is the most likely thing to happen.. If anyone actually goes all Townshend on any guitar, well we all know the end result of that ;)

Between your test and the Townshend test would be the pre guitar-stands-are-everywhere test. When I was a kid, my L6, at least two strats, and at least one Tele suffered this drop. Laying it down on its back on top of the pa cabinet at break time. That cable just invites people to kick it and pull yer guitar off, or while the guitar player is spending his break time wisely by downing as many Heinekens as he can, somebody else in the band decides to angle the cabs in a little. Thanks for that guys. I suffered no serious damage to any of them, but it was a pretty stomach churning moment. Did I learn the first time? Are you mad? Daft? Of course not.

rct

Archived