Gibson Brands Forums

Humbucker cover

houndman55

The difference soundwise is measurable without guitar cable. With a guitar cable of typically 6 m or 20 ft the tone will depend much more on cable capacitance.

I prefer covered ones due to the additional protection of the hair-thin coil wire, and for looks as well. Chrome plating is my favourite.

It's a Faraday cage.

Cheers... Bence

That's why it atcs as an effective shield against electricity but won't significantly affect magnetism. The nickel content is too low for that, and the inductive coupling is too small to form an adverse shunt coil. Remember that doubling the number of winding turn should result in four times the inductance but will make just slightly more than the double when built as a side-by-side coils humbucker.

Moreover, most coil splits work through shorting one coil out although appropriate switches and wirings would allow for leaving one coil open. I checked it and found out that there's very little difference in tone. The lack of inductive coupling is the reason for that.

This is different for Fender Wide Range Humbuckers like for all pickups with rod magnets. The magnetic fields around them are "bent" somewhat more which will dampen pickup resonance audibly.

I took the covers off of some burstbucker pros and they seemed to sound a little brighter, but it was so slight it may have been all in my mind.

Funny story, a guitar I had came stock with a set of BB pros and the neck was a zebra color without the the cover but the bridge was double black. It was really annoying considering I bought the guitar new and it didn't have matching pickups without the covers... Does Gibson just throw whatever they feel like or have more of under those covers? Hmmm... :-k

Archived