Gibson Brands Forums

Is there a new Hummingbird with 1 11/16th nut?

Smurfbird

Through much trial and error, I've figured out that my hands were made for a 1-11/16" nut and narrower. 1-11/16 appear to break down to roughly 1.68 or 1.69. Just as I've heard normal-handed people say they notice slight differences and prefer wider, I prefer narrower.

I have a 1967-8-9 Hummingbird that's plenty narrow and I love it. However, I'd also like to get a more recent bird, something in the '00s or '10s and all I see if 1.725 and that's just .035 too wide. Does anyone know if there are any models that comes with the narrower nut.

I recently saw that the '64 reissue of the J-200 comes with the 1-11/16" nut. If anyone has one and wishes to trade for a standard 2011 J-200 with the 1.725 , I'd consider it.

Thanks for any info!

Honestly don't know about some of those 60's Reissues, but I recall there was some kind of anniversary Dove - must have been 2 years ago as the original Dove came in 1962.

That guitar - besides being beautiful - sounded good (as those maple-fliers do) and had the for these days extraordinary rare 11/16 nut.

Smurfbird, I know next to nothing about nuts. But, if you found a new(er) H'Bird with a too wide nut, would it be feasible to get a luthier to replace it with a custom made narrower nut? I know the bridge pin holes would slightly offset that jury-rigging, but not that much. Might be the only way to get a modern era H'Bird. Definitely worth thinking about if you found a great one. (Like mine!)

I don't believe you will find a Hummingbird with a 1 11/16th made in those years. (2000--2010) I also greatly prefer this slightly smaller size nut, on all guitars. I had to go with the larger 1.72 found on my 2013 Hummingbird. I do get used to it. It is workable. However it is definitely not as comfortable for me as my other guitars...all which have a smaller nut width, and closer string spacing. I'm not sure why Gibson has chosen to favor the 1.72 nut. There are many who simply do not like it. My hands are large long and slender....and the 1.72 nut is still not right for me. The only other Hummingbird which has the smaller nut width is the much lower priced Epiphone Hummingbird..made by Gibson. I have that model as well....and while I prefer the Gibson Hummingbird model over the Epiphone Model...the 1.72 nut width is for the birds!

Thanks for the replies.

It's not just the string-spacings It's the overall girth of the neck. It may have something to do with how the neck is cut, since GuitarLight points out that even with his longer, slender fingers he finds it tricky. I owned a Jackson Browne model for a short time and despite it having the a 1.8 nut it wasn't as uncomfortable as the Hummingbird or Dove or Sheryl Crow CW that I've owned (or own). The standard J-200 I have isn't perfect, but it's easier to get around on.

I keep an Epiphone Hummingbird to kick around and it's very comfortable to play, just not anywhere near the depth of sound of the real thing.

That Recording King Gibson looks cool for what it is, but I believe buying a Hummingbird is also about the romance of the burst, the detail of the pick guard and the mellow tones of its dimensions.

It's interesting how my '60s Bird sounds so little like a modern 'Bird. It's been bruised and battered -- I had the adj. bridge removed and had a solid rosewood bridge put on -- but it's loud and chimy.

I'd still like a modern issue where I can smell the wood.

That's crazy about the anniversary Dove being so narrow. But it suggests that Gibson isn't completely opposed to issuing guitars with narrow, less conventional nuts for us small handed folks. (My LG-1 and LG-3 both fit me perfectly.)

Archived