Gibson Brands Forums

Compare the 2013 Gibson SG Standard to the Epiphone G-400 Pro

240SX

Can I get the opinion of someone with hands on experience with the 2013 Gibson SG Standard and the Epiphone G-400 Pro. Which do you prefer and why? I'm looking to get one of these next week. I can get the Epiphone for $399 and the Gibson for $1299.

I've been playing a very long time, and I can buy any guitar I want. There is no comparison between these two guitars.

Let that serve as a representative answer from maybe, 25% of the people you ask this of.

rct

As a financially minded person, i wouldn't recommend financing, but i'm not your mother so you can do what you will.

There are other gibson SG models that cost less than 1,300 bucks and used options out there as well. I would recommend doing some research and testing out some guitars.

The G-400 is a nice guitar but there is no comparison.

These "is / can an Epiphone be as good as / better than a Gibson" come up very regularly on this site.

My answer is simple: NO

PS: I also agree with deeman - don't get anything on tick.

Meh I grew up playing a triple pickup SG Custom. They're great guitars. I don't think they're 4x better than a G400. IMHO. YMMV. Offer void where prohibited by law.

It's just a question that can't be answered. Ask the owner/user of either, you'll get the answer you expect depending on which one they use. Lots more than most of the time, the one that owns/uses both takes the Gibson out with him/her, and not because of the name on the headstock. Of course, here in an Epiphone forum there will be tonnes of people that defy my "most", but that's how it is in here. Or any other group of people that have which one they use in common.

My SG is about 40 times better than any G400 I've ever touched. I've had bad luck with them I guess.

rct

Can I get the opinion of someone with hands on experience with the 2013 Gibson SG Standard and the Epiphone G-400 Pro. Which do you prefer and why? I'm looking to get one of these next week. I can get the Epiphone for $399 and the Gibson for $1299.

If you have to finance play a Gibson SGJ with the new Gibson 61s like them as much as 57s. You can get them on sale for around $450 an extra $50 bucks is stupid cheap for a Gibson probably why they are gone after 2014.

I own them all too, side by side the answer is Gibson if you can afford.

These "is / can an Epiphone be as good as / better than a Gibson" come up very regularly on this site.

My answer is simple: NO

PS: I also agree with deeman - don't get anything on tick.

Give my Epiphone SG a shot and then see if you stick by that opinion. [flapper]

dscf1536w.jpg

dscf1528c.jpg

That elitist is ****in sweet

Thanks! It really is a great guitar. But to be totally honest with you, as sweet as she is, the sweetest SG I ever played was my 2004 Vintage Faded with the one piece bound neck and SD pups. There was just something about that guitar that was impossible to put into words. The smoothest and fastest neck you could ever imagine and it just played itself. I almost had tears rolling down my face when I sold it. But it went to a great home and is now being played to death the way it deserves to be played. Amazingly enough, about a week after I sold it, the original owner who sold it to be contacted me to ask if I might be interested in selling it back. This is like 3 years after I bought it! I had tried to contact him before selling it, in fact, but he had changed his email address. If he had only called me a week sooner... but I gave him the contact info of the guy I sold it to so maybe he was able to buy it back.

dscf1404q.jpg

I love my Epiphone ES-335 Pro to death, it is stellar, but I have yet to pick up an Epiphone G-400 that is anywhere near the same ballpark as my Gibson SG '61 reissue. The 2013 Gibson SG Standard is essentially a '61 reissue.

The 2013 SG Standard is stellar. That is a lifelong keeper. About as close to the original specs as you can get, short of going the custom shop route.

Grab one if you can.

Archived