Gibson Brands Forums

Fretboard cleaner

Gary_T

Try GORGOMYTE for the fretboard. IMO, the best product by a mile, It's comes as a saturated cloth. It removes fretboard gunk and polishes the frets to a shine too. One cloth lasts for a while because you cut and use only small sections at a time.

VIRTUOSO makes fine guitar polishes and cleaners specially made for guitars. Probably the best out there.

Good luck!

Virtuoso makes the best cleaners and polishes on the market. That being said, both are slightly abrasive and should only be used occasionally (like once a month or so) Using it daily might take off some of the finish after a few years I would imagine. As a day to day cleaner I like the Fender pump polish in the little black bottle or Dunlop Formula 65. For the fretboard any sort of lemon oil furniture polish will work (I have been told non-toxic lemon oil doesn't work well though) I currently use Dr. String Fellow Lemon Oil that comes in a white pump spray bottle. You usually have to special order the virtuoso, they are a small company, but the Dunlop 65, fender pump polish and Stringfellow lemon oil are stocked in just about any guitar shop.

Lemon oil is a fretboard conditioner. It penetrates the wood. Many setup guys recommend that it be used once or twice a year or so to prevent rosewood and ebony boards from drying out. I would not use it more than once or twice a year. It has to be used lightly as it can work its way under inlay and under frets if put on too heavily or let to sit and cause them to loosen..

Lemon oil should not be used on maple boards.

All I do after playing is wipe down the fretboard with a swatch from an old cotton t shirt, running it under the strings from nut to bridge once or twice. The prevents gunk from building up. I tried a microfiber cloth once but it's a bad idea. Little bits of the microfiber stuck to the strings deadening them. The bits were hard to remove too!

Anybody ever see the Scott Grove vids. Lol. He's a trip. He's kind of a tool and vulgar doni didn't want to post. His fretboard logic is ridiculous.

Hello Turtle!

I am not saying I agree with everything He says. Not even with the half of it. But, - to be honest - I like watching His videos. He raises the most debated topics of guitar manufacturing, beliefs/misbeliefs of guitar players and expresses His opinion - even tries to prove His point in His down-to-earth way.

Definitely, You don`t have to agree with Him, - but at least -, after watching His videos, You can give a second thought about Your own concepts on the discussed topic. Even better, to try to prove Your point about it. That`s why I find them useful.

His style makes it even funnier. :)

Cheers... Bence

Thank you, Bence!!!

...isn't that the stuff one must be careful with the disposal of the cloth after use?

I seem to recall something on this forum about possible combustion?

Yes, it is!!! Towels, rags soken into linseed oil can catch flame! Dispose them in a safe way!

Cheers... Bence

Isn't that a window / glas cleaner? I prefer to use oils, that keep the wood from drying out.

I don't know the measure of wood "drying out", but since 1971 I have never, to my knowledge, suffered from any of the wood on hundreds of guitars "drying out". I've never oiled, honey'd, gooped, lotion'd, lathered, or otherwise put anything more into any of the woods on any of my guitars than a good weekend nights thrashing in front of an adoring audience.

rct

Different story here in the desert!

Not only in the desert, but also in winter, when the heater is on. And when I see how dry my LP's and my two Gretsch's fretboards were, when I got them, I can asure you, that oiling the fretboard made a huge difference not only in look, but also in feel.

And I know for sure, that Windex definitely isn't, what a luthier would recommend for fretboard care :-)

Not only in the desert, but also in winter, when the heater is on. And when I see how dry my LP's and my two Gretsch's fretboards were, when I got them, I can asure you, that oiling the fretboard made a huge difference not only in look, but also in feel.

And I know for sure, that Windex definitely isn't, what a luthier would recommend for fretboard care :-)

I live in an ordinary climate that requires air conditioning 6 months a year and heat the other 6. Humidity is a major problem, too much in summer, not enough in winter.

What do you think they recommended before there were 27 different kinds of pretty bottles full of nothing for 40 bucks?

Because if you don't remember, I do;>)

rct

Archived