Gibson Brands Forums

Acoustic Blues Lead Style Fills

BluesKing777

A lot of the polls about why guys wanted to learn guitar show that they want to attract the girls with their slick playing!

But if you want to scare the girls off, you can learn acoustic blues guitar, and if you generally want to frighten everyone off...add some lead lines to your acoustic blues playing like Lightnin' Hopkins!

YMMV!

One great way to start down this path is to get some (no affiliation) Kenny Sultan guitar books - I wouldn't go any further with the idea until you buy this book - TAB and CD of the tunes included - I go through this regularly to keep the fingers going - great book (some of his other stuff is a bit hard to begin with):

http://www.amazon.com/Blues-Styles-Kenny-Sultan/dp/1574241303/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1414285772&sr=1-3

Here is the man on the tube:

BluesKing777.

Why do you think we all went into rock & roll. I could play fast so quickly got tagged as a lead player. But a lot of what I was playing came from what I had learned from Lightnin', Memphis Minnie, Curley Weaver, and others.

But Lightnin' was the man. He could do it all.

Never heard of Kenny Sultan and I never had much to do with book learning blues. It was Toby Walker who changed my perspective on this. On a whim I ordered a couple of his lessons. I had been playing most the tunes he teaches for so long I had forgotten I knew some of them. But I found his approach to those songs fun and interesting. So while I could not nor even wanted to relearn the songs, I found I could borrow some of Toby's ideas and breathe some new life into them. Plus, I realized his "caged" system of learning was pretty much the way I had taught myself which I thought was cool. And if nothing else, I love listening to him play.

I guess DVDs and tab are the new version of taking the needle and dropping it on the same place on a record over and over again. In my case it was backing up the reel to reel on which I had recorded a ton of 78 rpm records a friend of my Dad's had in his collection. Big difference is the DVD tells you what the guy on the record was doing instead of you having to figure it out yourself.

End of story is you can teach an old dog some new tricks.

Toby is the best, but it is a bit more advanced than the book I mentioned from Kenny....

In particular, the book/cd is for the acoustic blues player that has heard something, tried moving down the fretboard a bit more (Chet's dusty end where there is NO money), but is looking for a bit of a simple roadmap of where to play those famous notes! No theory much, just some positions to practice.

Toby's for when they have worn out the book....

BluesKing777.

Archived